Total revamp required to movement time?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Kilmannan
level1
level1

Total revamp required to movement time?

Postby Kilmannan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:24 pm

So PA, for all it is good, has one fundamental flaw - the time it actually takes for your prisoners to walk anywhere.

The average walking speed of a human is 1.4 meters per second. This is obviously not reflected in PA as it takes fekkin ages for them to get anywhere. A 100m walk can take up to 30 minutes game time.

If we could fix this, we would have drastically better control over designing excellent prisons without having to meet the silly demand of "They can't get to it in time before the schedule moves on."

I think this would be a simple enough fix, although I do see a problem in the actual speed the prisoners move if you ramp the time up. They'd be like bullets shooting across the screen. However, would there really be an issue with that? They'd still just be doing the same things as before but spending less time getting to those activities.

I know there's an inherent flaw here, but I can't quite put my finger on it.
jamtarts
level1
level1

Re: Total revamp required to movement time?

Postby jamtarts » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:11 pm

You're right. It's annoying when one part of my prison, less than 100 meters away, holding the yard, or workshop, and there's the canteen, and often the prisoners start to file in slowly but by then it's too late and they're leaving unfed.
Robbedem
level2
level2

Postby Robbedem » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:40 am

I agree prisoners should have a faster speed on normal. I don't see a problem with them being very fast in fast forward mode. The difficulty will be to keep the speed of staff and prisoners manageable on the normal speed. If prisoners or staff are moving too quickly that you can't click on them, or if they move to quickly to prevent them from doing stupid things, that's a problem.
Maybe there should also be a halve speed option? The ability to select staff and prisoners via information charts would help too.

Also check this topics on Mantis: http://bugs.introversion.co.uk/view.php?id=2858
and this forum topic: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=51188
Person012345
level2
level2

Postby Person012345 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:46 pm

I think that they should go to run mode (the speed janitors and gardeners move normally, and guards use when running to a misbehaving prisoner or taking an OD'd prisoner to the infirmary) if they haven't arrived at the canteen within half an hour of the feeding block starting. I don't think there should be a blanket increase in speed (and certainly not to "realistic" speeds) though. I don't think this is particularly important though, you realise you can design your prisons with smaller, more regular canteens right? I don't even have a problem with prisoners not arriving in the canteen though, and I use a centralised system.

As for "would there be an issue with pisoners moving at massive speed in accelerated time", I imagine that there wouldn't be if you don't mind playing at 4 frames per second.
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:04 pm

Meh. There's not really a need to change this, as we know at this point how fast the jumpsuits move. Just build things in a way that they can get around efficiently.

Return to “Community Members”