[Suggestion] Choice of Execution Method

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

radar2670
level0
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:01 pm

[Suggestion] Choice of Execution Method

Postby radar2670 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:58 pm

With a lot of states using different methods of execution, I would like to suggest that you add options for the various types. (Lethal Injection, Electric chair, gas chamber, firing squad, ect) You might consider allowing in the condemned inmate the choice of his execution method if multiple types of execution rooms are built within the prison.

You might also consider adding some form of option that would allow you to globally raise or lower the chances\frequency that prisoners will be executed. This would allow the player to raise/lower the execution rate to mimic how, in the US anyways, each state has wildly varying execution rates, frequency, and methods.
5hifty
level4
level4
Posts: 589
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:22 am

Re: [Suggestion] Choice of Execution Method

Postby 5hifty » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:10 am

Yeah I'm all for this. While I don't support executions, I understand peoples reasoning for them. That said I am against the chair - electrocution is a horrible way to die, I may as well waterboard them to death. Maybe just 3 or 4 variations, one of which is chosen when exicutions are unlocked.
iScripters
level2
level2
Posts: 205
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:36 pm

Re: [Suggestion] Choice of Execution Method

Postby iScripters » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:05 pm

radar2670 wrote:With a lot of states using different methods of execution, I would like to suggest that you add options for the various types. (Lethal Injection, Electric chair, gas chamber, firing squad, ect) You might consider allowing in the condemned inmate the choice of his execution method if multiple types of execution rooms are built within the prison.

You might also consider adding some form of option that would allow you to globally raise or lower the chances\frequency that prisoners will be executed. This would allow the player to raise/lower the execution rate to mimic how, in the US anyways, each state has wildly varying execution rates, frequency, and methods.


This game isn't about American prisons, as stated in the video. If you really want all possible methods of exection, and not just the 'Murica ones, how about hanging and stoning?
Toybasher
level0
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 2:19 am

Re: [Suggestion] Choice of Execution Method

Postby Toybasher » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:08 pm

I agree. IRL the electric chair isn't used that often in america. Years ago it used to be the go-to method (and the game is not really set in modern time by the looks of it.) but now the USA ususally uses lethal injection.

Maybe the ability to build different chambers would be nice. Firing squad by armed guards, lethal injection from doctors, maybe possibly hanging, etc.

Should be up to player choice which facilities they want and not "Prisoner X MUST be executed by firing squad as per his sentance." though.
xlr8films
level2
level2
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:48 am

Re: [Suggestion] Choice of Execution Method

Postby xlr8films » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:43 pm

Yeah I think it's pretty funny that their chronology is set like it is... there are box-type tv sets & the electric chair, but no radios... here in Texas a radio is one of the few things an inmate can buy for himself/herself in the prison commissary. TVs are extremely rare.
dapullia
level1
level1
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:28 am

Re: [Suggestion] Choice of Execution Method

Postby dapullia » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:14 am

Another thing here to is that in some cases if you have multiple means then the prisoner has his choice of method. For example Florida in the United States gave prisoners the choice between riding the lightening or lethal injection when they first added the method and Utah gave prisoners the choice between facing the firing squad or lethal injection. Other states have given in the past the choice between hanging and lethal injection. In history there have been cases where prisoners have chosen/requested the alternate method. If you have more than one method at your disposal per say in your facility then you could have a policy option to give the prisoner the choice of method and then have a default method. There could be a 50/50 chance that the prisoner would make a choice and then the prisoner could basically take a random roll in these cases between available methods. If the prisoner fails to exercise the choice then he faces your default policy method. You could offer multiple methods in the same execution chamber if the chamber is built big enough. It seems like it would be a nice option. If you enact this policy then maybe it has a calming effect on the heat level of the prison because they know that the prisoner chose his ticket out and was not forced to suffer a inhumane method. Generally, when there is an execution, the heat levels should go down drastically because the execution should cause a calming effect on the prisoners. Everyone sort of knows whats going on. You see this in all the documentaries that have been shot on the subject.
Person012345
level2
level2
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: [Suggestion] Choice of Execution Method

Postby Person012345 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:09 am

iScripters wrote:This game isn't about American prisons, as stated in the video. If you really want all possible methods of exection, and not just the 'Murica ones, how about hanging and stoning?

And yet America is the only country (barring like, one other country under american administration) that used the electric chair. So his suggestion makes the prison less "set in america" than having just the chair.

Also, hanging would be a pretty legitimate inclusion. The least we can say is that this is a western-style prison (whether it's set in america or not) and hanging is still an option in some places today. Stoning on the other hand is limited to non-westernised areas and I don't think would be appropriate for PA in any sense (unless you also want to add death row prisoners with crimes like adultery).

Edit: Oh, and when you're discussing the death penalty in western-style prisons, you really don't have much to base it off other than the US.
perryliu97
level2
level2
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:40 pm

Re: [Suggestion] Choice of Execution Method

Postby perryliu97 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:49 pm

I think the question is this: Would you prefer them to spend more development time adding and polishing other new features, or to add other ways of execution in an otherwise optional and extremely rare aspect of the game?

At the end of the day, IV is not a charity, and they are indeed planning on wrapping up development this year.
For the comments regarding "Electric chairs are only used in the US, hence this game is set in the US", can't this game be set in a fictional place that also happens to have electric chairs?
Inge Jones
level2
level2
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:15 am

Re: [Suggestion] Choice of Execution Method

Postby Inge Jones » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:16 pm

And don't forget beheading. with sword or guillotine. And did anyone mention firing squad yet?
User avatar
Daimaju
level2
level2
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:43 am
Location: Germany

Re: [Suggestion] Choice of Execution Method

Postby Daimaju » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:55 pm

Well, I want them to focus on further development but I'd prefer the lethal injection over the chair, so I hope they might add this if time and resources allow.
If not... we have some skilled modders who already do amazing stuff.

Exchanging the chair with a gurney that has the functionality of a bed, basically, would already do the trick.
A 'fun' gameplay aspect could be trouble getting the needed drugs for a proper execution... and an MTA to actually be the executioner (doctors don't do that, it conflicts with their purpose).
5hifty
level4
level4
Posts: 589
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:22 am

Re: [Suggestion] Choice of Execution Method

Postby 5hifty » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:29 am

Inge Jones wrote:And don't forget beheading. with sword or guillotine. And did anyone mention firing squad yet?


I'm been making the arguement for firing squads since before armed guards (? About that long). As far as I can tell it seems to be one of the, if not the, most humane way to execute someone. I could throw in the arguement that it's still used in a state in Universal Secuity Association, it's historically been very common and it visually would be a interesting execution method (guards marching in, a blind fold and ciggarette)
xPyr0x
level2
level2
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:13 am
Location: United States

Re: [Suggestion] Choice of Execution Method

Postby xPyr0x » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:06 pm

I dont think the electric chair is even used at all anymore... They just use lethal injection now. Half of the states or so have banned execution anyway. Most of the world has too.
plasmascreen1
level0
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:26 pm

Re: [Suggestion] Choice of Execution Method

Postby plasmascreen1 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:48 pm

What none of you seem to understand is that this is NOT an American prison. For all we know, it isn't based on any continent's or country's prisons. If it is, it would most likely be United Kingdom due to the developers mostly being from here in England. And while America WAS the only country to use the electric chair, the UK haven't used execution as a punishment for decades now, so the developers would just have to choose one. Out of the big three (lethal injection, electric chair and gas chamber) the electric chair is the obvious choice. The lethal injection would be very difficult to program well, especially whilst trying to fit in with the style of the game. And the gas chamber, although easy to program compared to the lethal injection (but still very hard mind!) it is a very slow method of execution, and would also allow more bugs and glitches, and/or allow people to move large amounts of prisoners into the chamber before an execution, so that they all would be killed, making this into a concentration camp simulator, which is what the developers DO NOT WANT.
I rest my case.
User avatar
Daimaju
level2
level2
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:43 am
Location: Germany

Re: [Suggestion] Choice of Execution Method

Postby Daimaju » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:40 pm

plasmascreen1 wrote:What none of you seem to understand is that this is NOT an American prison.

Except everyone does, starting with post #3, where the poster clearly reminded the OP that this isn't about American prisons.
Maybe try reading a thread before you answer and blame everyone of ignorance, while practicing it yourself so brilliantly?

plasmascreen1 wrote:If it is, it would most likely be United Kingdom due to the developers mostly being from here in England.

Lazy assumption with nothing to back it up at all.

England?
Since when do vehicles drive on the right lane of the road in England - or GB all together?
Cause in PA, they do.

England?
When exactly did England adopt the Dollar as a currency?
Cause in PA, we have the Dollar.

plasmascreen1 wrote: And while America WAS the only country to use the electric chair, the UK haven't used execution as a punishment for decades now, so the developers would just have to choose one.

Which is just another hint that the game definitely not takes place in England, because we do have the chair and we do have death row/executions. Again no cigar for England.

plasmascreen1 wrote: Out of the big three (lethal injection, electric chair and gas chamber) the electric chair is the obvious choice. The lethal injection would be very difficult to program well, especially whilst trying to fit in with the style of the game. And the gas chamber, although easy to program compared to the lethal injection (but still very hard mind!) it is a very slow method of execution, and would also allow more bugs and glitches, and/or allow people to move large amounts of prisoners into the chamber before an execution, so that they all would be killed, making this into a concentration camp simulator, which is what the developers DO NOT WANT.
I rest my case.

So much...wrongness in these few lines of text.
First of all, you obviously have 0 understanding of programming/scripting/coding, why do try to judge the difficulty of the above and worse: make false claims?
Making the LI-method would be more difficult to do? How so? And your gas chamber assumptions?
Explain that, please. Time to back your claims up with reason and proof, come on.
Person012345
level2
level2
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: [Suggestion] Choice of Execution Method

Postby Person012345 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:30 pm

perryliu97 wrote:For the comments regarding "Electric chairs are only used in the US, hence this game is set in the US", can't this game be set in a fictional place that also happens to have electric chairs?

No-one said that.

Return to “Community Members”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests