[Suggestion] "Deathrow" ON/OFF Option

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

radar2670
level0

[Suggestion] "Deathrow" ON/OFF Option

Postby radar2670 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:39 pm

We all know that capitol punishment is such a divisive topic for a lot of folks. Just allowing this feature in game might cause some to never even consider purchasing Prison Architect. I would suggest at minimum, putting a setting under options that can add/remove this feature. You might even consider having it as a popup every time you start a new prison that says "Allow Deathrow?" with a check box on the popup to Globally set "Deathrow" On/Off. Thanks and keep up the great work!
JSD
level1
level1

Re: [Suggestion] "Deathrow" ON/OFF Option

Postby JSD » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:49 pm

I don't think there is a need for that. I don't know if you watched the video, but unless you unlock the option in bureaucracy, there is no sign of execution anywhere anymore. I think that's enough. There is no need for over killing this subject. They did the perfect job in my option. The be honest: it is a prison simulation with all it's encounters. If you really can't handle that, you wouldn't be playing this particular game. Like Mark said in the Alpha video: Prison Architect deals with ALLOT of dead already.
ouyin2000
level1
level1

Postby ouyin2000 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:50 pm

Why bother? By default it is OFF. The only way to enable it is to purchase the research via the Lawyer.
radar2670
level0

Postby radar2670 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:24 am

JSD wrote:I don't think there is a need for that. I don't know if you watched the video, but unless you unlock the option in bureaucracy, there is no sign of execution anywhere anymore. I think that's enough. There is no need for over killing this subject. They did the perfect job in my option. The be honest: it is a prison simulation with all it's encounters. If you really can't handle that, you wouldn't be playing this particular game. Like Mark said in the Alpha video: Prison Architect deals with ALLOT of dead already.

I want to first say that I, for one, have ZERO issues with this being in the game. Personally, I would like to see it fleshed out a little more(Different methods/frequency) It was obvious from the video that great care and effort was taken to not trivialize the effect of what was going on. I agree that they did an excellent job handling Death Row. I really like how they made the entire prison go on lock down. Having some of the witnesses be the family of the condemned inmates victims as well as the inmates family was a nice touch as well. Making the player have to physically authorize the execution was also fantastic idea.

I went to the trouble to post this particular suggestion because even with all the death and violence in PA, the mere fact that the death penalty is unlockable would be enough for some to never purchase the game or worse. I kind of see it the same as if you had a game called "Hospital Architect" and you had the option to allow them to perform abortions. Both sides of these issues are really touchy with alot of deeply held views/beliefs.

Those of us who have been purchased the game know that the opening scene is the execution of a prisoner. We knew that this was going to be in the game from the beginning but once this comes out of early access or goes on sale again you will get alot of new players who don't know this. I looked on the Steam store page and there is not even a screenshot of the execution chamber from the opening scene. I was just trying to suggest an option to help minimize any potential for troubles now that executions are useable in game by giving an additional suggestion to the devs. Nothing more.

Thanks for your reply and game on!
JSD
level1
level1

Postby JSD » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:16 am

radar2670 wrote:
JSD wrote:I don't think there is a need for that. I don't know if you watched the video, but unless you unlock the option in bureaucracy, there is no sign of execution anywhere anymore. I think that's enough. There is no need for over killing this subject. They did the perfect job in my option. The be honest: it is a prison simulation with all it's encounters. If you really can't handle that, you wouldn't be playing this particular game. Like Mark said in the Alpha video: Prison Architect deals with ALLOT of dead already.

I want to first say that I, for one, have ZERO issues with this being in the game. Personally, I would like to see it fleshed out a little more(Different methods/frequency) It was obvious from the video that great care and effort was taken to not trivialize the effect of what was going on. I agree that they did an excellent job handling Death Row. I really like how they made the entire prison go on lock down. Having some of the witnesses be the family of the condemned inmates victims as well as the inmates family was a nice touch as well. Making the player have to physically authorize the execution was also fantastic idea.

I went to the trouble to post this particular suggestion because even with all the death and violence in PA, the mere fact that the death penalty is unlockable would be enough for some to never purchase the game or worse. I kind of see it the same as if you had a game called "Hospital Architect" and you had the option to allow them to perform abortions. Both sides of these issues are really touchy with alot of deeply held views/beliefs.

Those of us who have been purchased the game know that the opening scene is the execution of a prisoner. We knew that this was going to be in the game from the beginning but once this comes out of early access or goes on sale again you will get alot of new players who don't know this. I looked on the Steam store page and there is not even a screenshot of the execution chamber from the opening scene. I was just trying to suggest an option to help minimize any potential for troubles now that executions are useable in game by giving an additional suggestion to the devs. Nothing more.

Thanks for your reply and game on!

In my opinion; it's sweet your care about it, it really is.. But fucked them! I have no other words to say..

Why on earth we all need to watch ore steps or have to be careful for those how might has a problem with it. Like the video said: It IS a dark matter. It IS a grey spot. But they done it. I love them! I bought the game from the right team! Yes! It is a dark matter. A grey spot. A discussion all on this own. But I am done about protecting those people that MAY have a problem with it. It's a real issue in the game. It's it a real issue in real life. Chris, Mark (Whoever it did..) they did it well. It's not a murdering machine. They made sure it wasn't. Like they said: We don't want a concentration camp. That's never the point of view here. It's a option! And I hate the fact that we are even debating this kind of thing, because you want to protect some kind of clueless newbie in the game will I have another point of view. Never, ever protect the ones you can't protect. Newbies are stupid! They don't have a clue! If they fall for a simple thing like this, let them fall. Don't rescue! Introversion; the guys that make the game, brought it as it is with us, they well aware what impact a features can have. If they don't care, you shouldn't. Not even for a second...
Threehorns
level3
level3

Postby Threehorns » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:40 am

As I don't Like deathrow, I won't be using it. ... the 2,500 + 10,000 bonus ... Don't care.

Any death in my prison already feels like a big failure which I try to avoid. Like in my 2nd Prison, I had 1 death: "Q", due to an overdoses, on first day. Meh. I saw the overdose and couldnt do anything, though got the drugsdealer put into isolation.
Or 16 (sad) deaths in my 3rd prison till day 100 with max security prisoners, until i had problems with legendary instigator

Its a loss of bits :|
all zeroed out :roll:
PeterF
level1
level1

Postby PeterF » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:54 am

Everything that hints at death row outside of Bureaucracy is hidden as it is, I'm not convinced that being faced with a checkbox when you create a new world is any better than a research item deep down in the tech tree.
Person012345
level2
level2

Postby Person012345 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:03 pm

radar2670 wrote:I went to the trouble to post this particular suggestion because even with all the death and violence in PA, the mere fact that the death penalty is unlockable would be enough for some to never purchase the game or worse. I kind of see it the same as if you had a game called "Hospital Architect" and you had the option to allow them to perform abortions. Both sides of these issues are really touchy with alot of deeply held views/beliefs.

Except that it's generally the left that is against the death penalty and the left can generally accept reality, like "the death penalty exist/existed". And any thinking liberal isn't going to go off crying by the mere fact that something that exists is in a game dealing with the issue. It's the freaking tutorial for god's sake. If abortion was in Hospital architect as an unlockable thing that you didn't have to provide, any whiny ass conservative pansy who gets offended because jesus should shut the fuck up and go play a game more suitable to their feelings like barbie's playhouse or something. Same goes for anyone so hurt by the existence of death row in the game that they feel the need to boycott the game.

It's fine as it is, no-one is forcing you to have an executing prison, it's entirely up to the player. It's an option because it exists. Deal with it.
flimFlambr
level1
level1

Postby flimFlambr » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:04 am

I agree with the considerations about reality - I will not be putting death rows on my prisions - I don't unlock even armed guards - but there's no reason to hide the fact that capitol punishment still exists - in just a handfull of countries, but exists - if one of the objectives of the game is to make people think about crime and punishment, hiding the electric chair would go against this principle

Return to “Community Members”