Prisoner intelligence (or not needing to pass low level ed)

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

herkalurk
level0

Prisoner intelligence (or not needing to pass low level ed)

Postby herkalurk » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:38 am

My prison has many prisoners, but only 3 have passed the base level education needed to work in the library, which means i barely have any library books sorted on the shelves. You have made changes in previous releases that only intelligent prisoners will even attempt to plan an escape, or try other things. Couldn't some prisoners come into the prison already at enough education level for passing the base level, and then a small percentage of them passing the 2nd tier?
desrocchi
level1
level1

Re: Prisoner intelligence (or not needing to pass low level

Postby desrocchi » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:03 am

Education programs are quite hard.
I had 321 attending the Foundation course and only 91 passed, of these 91 only 16 attended the General course and only 2 passed.
herkalurk
level0

Postby herkalurk » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:52 pm

While that's true, I still think that there are at least some prisoners who enter any system that are smart enough to sort books without a general education remediation class. I had also thought about a job to help the grounds keepers, but I only have like 20 of them for my huge prison, and I don't have much of an issue. Granted I don't have a lot of grounds to be kept, most is concrete at this point...
lugaru
level3
level3

Postby lugaru » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:39 pm

herkalurk wrote:While that's true, I still think that there are at least some prisoners who enter any system that are smart enough to sort books without a general education remediation class. I had also thought about a job to help the grounds keepers, but I only have like 20 of them for my huge prison, and I don't have much of an issue. Granted I don't have a lot of grounds to be kept, most is concrete at this point...

I agree.

I run a 'reform' based prison so I try hard to meet needs, therefore most prisoners do not have any distractions and eventually pass.

That said it is unrealistic that nobody shows up with a higschool or college education. Sure, prison has a much greater population of illeterate and under educated people, but it cant be 100% in any world.
zbyrne
level2
level2

Postby zbyrne » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:37 pm

what about repeat offenders?

So let's say you parole someone, and they re-offend. And only right, they end up in prison again - your prison. But if they passed alot of reform programs first time round, well then they could come in and start working in library/workshop/kitchen etc.

There are definitely prisoners, in and out constantly, probably the same institutions, who know the ropes and the staff know them. They won't necessarily be put through the same training sessions, or what have you. A waste of time and money for penny pinching prisons after all.
Trixi
level2
level2

Postby Trixi » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:46 pm

let me check my stats:

foundation education course:

574 finished, 309 (53%) passed

general education qualification

74 finished 25 (33%) passed

The key is. u have to satisfy the needs of your prisoners and they shouldnt be suppressed. it can take up to 12hours, till a suppression of your armed guard is gone. while your prisoners are suppressed or having to much needs, they arent concentrate and fail your programs.

some other stats:

workshop 76% passed
kitchen 75% passed
carpentry 50% passed
drug addiction 79%
Alcoholic 59%
spirutual 79%
wirefire2
level1
level1

Postby wirefire2 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:30 am

Suppressed prisoners won't start or pass education programs (or very few will).
KailanTheFanboy
level1
level1

Postby KailanTheFanboy » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:20 am

herkalurk wrote:My prison has many prisoners, but only 3 have passed the base level education needed to work in the library, which means i barely have any library books sorted on the shelves. You have made changes in previous releases that only intelligent prisoners will even attempt to plan an escape, or try other things. Couldn't some prisoners come into the prison already at enough education level for passing the base level, and then a small percentage of them passing the 2nd tier?

I completely agree. Not every criminal is a complete idiot. That's one of the big reasons they're in prison. Currently all my prisoners are craving a good read and the library is packed with unsorted boxes and empty shelves, and all my prisoners aren't even halfway done with foundation ed.

Return to “Community Members”