library

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

spinroblox
level1
level1

library

Postby spinroblox » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:49 pm

how does the library work i put it down but there are no "qualified" prisoners, also there are no programs for it
SonofSuperJoe
level1
level1

Re: library

Postby SonofSuperJoe » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:58 pm

spinroblox wrote:how does the library work i put it down but there are no "qualified" prisoners, also there are no programs for it

What's not in the game (from what I can tell) is that Prisoners need to have passed the Foundational Education program in a classroom and have credit for it (which is just basically elementary school level).

Which leads to some obvious stuff already -

- There need to be some prisoners who come in to your jail not total idiots (Foundational Education is very basic, and the game assumes NONE of your cons have such knowledge). Likely more in minimum security, some in medium, few in max. I'd suggest a new Reputation (like I did here viewtopic.php?f=43&t=50837&start=30#p583478 )

- The game needs a better error message and/or explanation of what leads to a lack of qualified prisoners. Some training is really obvious, like the Kitchen staff, but the library is more vague and so is showing how a prisoner has qualifications currently. You're not the first person I've seen on these forums confused by the library.
spinroblox
level1
level1

Postby spinroblox » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:30 pm

SonofSuperJoe wrote:
spinroblox wrote:how does the library work i put it down but there are no "qualified" prisoners, also there are no programs for it

What's not in the game (from what I can tell) is that Prisoners need to have passed the Foundational Education program in a classroom and have credit for it (which is just basically elementary school level).

ok thanks
rydan
level1
level1

Postby rydan » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:32 am

Also the new Literacy need can create a kind of Catch-22 situation in where your prisoners need books, you send them to the Foundation reform program learn basic reading in order to get the books sorted in the library, however since they already have a need for Literacy (it doesnt even have to be "LITERACY" with maximum ++++'s) it can lead to a prisoner whose Understanding is Excellent the unfulfilled need makes their Concentration Bad or worse which makes them likely to not pass the course and therefor the library remains unmanned and Literacy need rises among the population.
lugaru
level3
level3

Postby lugaru » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:01 pm

rydan wrote:Also the new Literacy need can create a kind of Catch-22 situation in where your prisoners need books, you send them to the Foundation reform program learn basic reading in order to get the books sorted in the library, however since they already have a need for Literacy (it doesnt even have to be "LITERACY" with maximum ++++'s) it can lead to a prisoner whose Understanding is Excellent the unfulfilled need makes their Concentration Bad or worse which makes them likely to not pass the course and therefor the library remains unmanned and Literacy need rises among the population.

Sounds like laundry in the old days when prisoners rioted over everything and it took a while to get a laundromat working so by the time they where ready to start delivering clothes, cell blocks where burning. It does sound like 'random traits' are not a tough thing for the designers (in videos they have mentioned percentages before, I think for drug use not to mention relious need) so hopefully they will have an adequate percentage of educated prisoners.

"Crime: hacker. Trait: Illiterate. What?!"

Oh btw this might be a good stat: maybe cap it at 20% 'completely illiterate" or maybe even 25% for 'game purposes'.

http://static.prisonpolicy.org/prisonin ... teracy.jpg

Return to “Community Members”