Dogs failing to disengage from a fight when prisoner subdued

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

azairvine
level1
level1

Dogs failing to disengage from a fight when prisoner subdued

Postby azairvine » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:53 pm

I'm unsure whether I'd classify it as a bug - but it sure is a pain in the a$$ to control!

At the moment I've got over 100 prisoners in 3 different holding cells - so it gets pretty crowded as they transition through their regime. I've found that any time there is a fight and a dog is near, he will continue to attack the prisoner after he's been subdued. If I don't move the handler out of the way and break the command, the dog ends up eating the prisoner to death. It's extremely frustrating when I have to click-drag across the mass of raging prisoners & guards and keep moving my guards to different locations just to stop the dogs from killing prisoners.

I've had a quick look through the forum but haven't found anyone reporting this as a specific issue - it's been mentioned here and there, but for me it is really impacting on the playability of the game.

If this is a known bug, please let me know. If I should add it to Mantis, I'll happily do so. If it's how the game is intended to be, well I'll keep on with my click-drag button mashing! :roll:

LOVE PA though!
RJenkos
level2
level2

Re: Dogs failing to disengage from a fight when prisoner sub

Postby RJenkos » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:59 pm

I think that's a feature, not a bug. The handler has to be nearby to restrain the dog, just like a real life dog/ handler. The dog doesn't know when the prisoner is subdued.
It makes sense to me.
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:13 pm

Well attack dogs are trained to subdue people, not to kill them. Dogs know when something is submitting.
azairvine
level1
level1

Postby azairvine » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:31 pm

Well, I know it's a feature for the dog to have a 50m long leash! So it makes it a little impossible to control the dog unless the fight breaks out right on top of the handler. Because my prison is currently so crowded in the traffic areas, it means I have to click-drag about 20 staff and move them in one big lump as it's impossible to see where the handler is.

Surely if it is a feature, it can be included in a trigger button much the same as "free fire" for the armed guards.
thekillergreece
level4
level4

Postby thekillergreece » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:03 pm

Do NOT order dog handlers with their dogs to go to a fighting area. Because if you do and they manage to stop the fight, the dog handler stays at that area, idle, ignoring what the dog will do(Where the dog will continue attacking to prisoner to death until dog handler moves or automatically returns back to duty).
azairvine
level1
level1

Postby azairvine » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:34 am

Well that's stating the obvious! The problem arises when fights start out within the activation zone of the dog. Those little buggers can sense funny business from a long way away. How are they supposed to be utilised properly when they go and kill everyone that starts a fight? What you're essentially saying is - have ONE dog and sit him at the front door - and be ready to move him when fights break around in that area - cuz you can't use them anywhere else in the map!

Return to “Community Members”