[Suggestion] Prisoner arrival

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Squire
level0

[Suggestion] Prisoner arrival

Postby Squire » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:14 pm

Hey guys, recently I re-watched the fantastic The Shawshank Redemption in which I noticed a lot about prison life not present in prison architect. Firstly, when the prisoners arrive they are fully searched and washed, so it is impossible to just walk in with contraband like in the game. I also thought that, like in all modern prisons, prisoners should talk to the warden when they first arrive about their sentence, possible jobs they might be interested in and other miscellaneous things like that. I do, however, realize that that feature could make the game more boring or hard, but I am all for the realism to it.

My final idea for you guys is quite a delicate one, but one think would fit into the game nicely. Bullying. You don't go to a prison and experience only violence do you? I would expect harassment verbally too, so I think there could be a system where your guards have to go through a program and are then able to detect if a prisoner is being picked on. If he thinks the prisoner is in danger, which he might not realize all of the time, he can send him to the psychologist for help. If the prisoners aren't helped, suicide can be put in place.

Thanks for reading! Matt
CJH
level2
level2

Re: [Suggestion] Prisoner arrival

Postby CJH » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:52 pm

Squire wrote:Hey guys, recently I re-watched the fantastic The Shawshank Redemption in which I noticed a lot about prison life not present in prison architect. Firstly, when the prisoners arrive they are fully searched and washed, so it is impossible to just walk in with contraband like in the game. I also thought that, like in all modern prisons, prisoners should talk to the warden when they first arrive about their sentence, possible jobs they might be interested in and other miscellaneous things like that. I do, however, realize that that feature could make the game more boring or hard, but I am all for the realism to it.

My final idea for you guys is quite a delicate one, but one think would fit into the game nicely. Bullying. You don't go to a prison and experience only violence do you? I would expect harassment verbally too, so I think there could be a system where your guards have to go through a program and are then able to detect if a prisoner is being picked on. If he thinks the prisoner is in danger, which he might not realize all of the time, he can send him to the psychologist for help. If the prisoners aren't helped, suicide can be put in place.

Thanks for reading! Matt

Could be prisoners extorting weaker prisoners. Happends all the time! And the stronger (physical or intellectual) prisoners forcing weaker to run errands such as stealing contraband for them, assaulting someone (guard or another inmate or workmen, helping with escape attempts, the list can go very far of possibilities. But in general i like your idea, many believe that psychological harrassments can be worse than physically assaulted, especially in a place like a prison were you might be totally alone. I would guess physical and psychological herrassments/assaults are like 50% 50% in a prison in order for some to gain respect by fear. Predatory style This could make protective custody bigger for the ones being harassed in different ways not just physical, and if gangs are implemented ex-gangbangers could join protective custody too. Could make protective custody bait more interesting too if you combine those groups :P.
LeftyRighty
level0

Postby LeftyRighty » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:30 pm

You might be able to get something like this put into the "programs"...

New arrivals have to be dragged to security/canteen/someplace for a "meeting" held by the security chief and the warden for the "speech". 50 slots for prisoners or whatever to make sure it can hold the entire new intake.

New arrivals get dragged in to see the warden in his office, 1 slot for a prisoner. (might not be practical in terms of the time it would take...)

Effect could be suppression for a bit or a sense of well being or whatever to help keep tempers down initially.

By putting it into programs you can make it optional.
Laise
level0

Postby Laise » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:49 am

I would really like to see a processing building, or something of the like. Where a guard would search all new prisoners, assign them to a cell and collect their personal belongings (On that note, there are to few first time offenders, I think).

I don't think the warden should meet all the prisoners. If you receive more than 10 prisoners it would take him all day to talk to all of them, and it would interfere to much with the parole program. In orange is the new black, all prisoners get a counselor. Maybe a job for the psychologists?

Return to “Community Members”