Superior Beds are underpowered.

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Vielwerth
level0

Superior Beds are underpowered.

Postby Vielwerth » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:16 am

I've come to the realisation that it's more efficient to focus on exporting planks, rather than training prisoners in Carpentry so they can make beds.

1. Prisoners take too long to make one bed. (I think it takes roughly a similar amount of time to make $400 of bed and $1000 of planks).
2. Prisoners who are interested in the carpentry course are few and far between.
3. Having a single prisoner trained in carpentry will stop your workers moving planks to the Export zone.
4. Workers can carry a higher value in planks ($1000) in one trip than a bed ($400).

I no longer bother in teaching prisoners carpentry. I get far more money by just mass-producing planks. Anyone else feel the same way?
czar mohab
level2
level2

Re: Superior Beds are underpowered.

Postby czar mohab » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:52 am

I get your point and I do agree that from a financial standpoint its totally pants; could use a price balance tweak. However, they'll likely have a use in the future beyond exporting. Superior Cells or whatever comes to mind, which also hints that they *might* also be usable in regular cells. This would make making the beds lucrative again, if only for a short while.

So no, I don't feel the same way, but I do get what you're saying.

The Czar
Fear_alive
level0

Postby Fear_alive » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:30 am

I think the same, but with license plates...
CumpyLustard
level2
level2

Postby CumpyLustard » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:37 am

I stopped messing around with carpentry both because it seems more efficient to sell planks and because the carpentry grant is still messed up. As it is right now, I'd agree that it's pretty much a waste of time, yeah.
smoothrolla
level1
level1

Postby smoothrolla » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:49 pm

Yep i feel the same way, i now only export planks.

When i was doing carpentry i had a build up of planks as my 10-20 carpenters (which is a nice amount) still couldnt keep up.

On the next prison i made i didnt train anyone in carpentry and i now get a lot more profits from exports for less work.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:55 pm

You all realize that the amount of money you earn isn't the only metric, right? Prisoners who make superior beds benefit from it more than prisoners who do not. The diminished cost of the beds should be seen as money invested in prisoner reform (though the balance may still need some tweaking).

xander
RlyDontKnow
level1
level1

Postby RlyDontKnow » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:04 pm

xander wrote:You all realize that the amount of money you earn isn't the only metric, right? Prisoners who make superior beds benefit from it more than prisoners who do not. The diminished cost of the beds should be seen as money invested in prisoner reform (though the balance may still need some tweaking).

xander

Exactly this. If you only run your prisoners through reform programs to squeeze money out - good for you. But first and foremost it's a way to teach the prisoner something and the big boost from carpentry apprenticeship easily makes your little prisoners jump to 10 reform points, so it's certainly worth it. Also I don't see why people keep needing so much money... *stares at his 10M cash in a small reform-only prison that only makes money from exporting beds*. Start working on something more meaningful like your prisoner grading rather than gathering cash you won't have anything to spend it on, soon.
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:18 pm

CumpyLustard wrote:... the carpentry grant is still messed up ...

Messed up how? It seems to work for me, in that it completes eventually. I admit I haven't watched closely to see exactly what it's doing though.
ble210
level1
level1

Postby ble210 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:37 pm

Yeah I agree with the OP. As of right now, it is more efficient to have inmates focus on making planks, as the net value of creating a superior bed (when factoring in materials, labor time, and transport time) is negative.
CumpyLustard
level2
level2

Postby CumpyLustard » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:34 pm

HerrJoebob wrote:
CumpyLustard wrote:... the carpentry grant is still messed up ...

Messed up how? It seems to work for me, in that it completes eventually. I admit I haven't watched closely to see exactly what it's doing though.

If I recall, it seems to stop tracking if you save and reload. I've got prisons where I know I've seen more than one bed be made and shipped out, but the grant will be stuck at 10%. I could be wrong, though, I suppose.
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:31 am

RlyDontKnow wrote:
xander wrote:You all realize that the amount of money you earn isn't the only metric, right? Prisoners who make superior beds benefit from it more than prisoners who do not. The diminished cost of the beds should be seen as money invested in prisoner reform (though the balance may still need some tweaking).

xander

Exactly this. If you only run your prisoners through reform programs to squeeze money out - good for you. But first and foremost it's a way to teach the prisoner something and the big boost from carpentry apprenticeship easily makes your little prisoners jump to 10 reform points, so it's certainly worth it. Also I don't see why people keep needing so much money... *stares at his 10M cash in a small reform-only prison that only makes money from exporting beds*. Start working on something more meaningful like your prisoner grading rather than gathering cash you won't have anything to spend it on, soon.

That said reform as just as little affect on the prison well as Unspendable money. Currently it's entire in Game effect is limited to a percentage reading climbing or falling. At least with the money I could feasibly do something with it.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:18 pm

5hifty wrote:That said reform as just as little affect on the prison well as Unspendable money. Currently it's entire in Game effect is limited to a percentage reading climbing or falling. At least with the money I could feasibly do something with it.

You are complaining that the reform programs have very little impact in an *unfinished* game. Yet, as of today, prisoners reoffending can lead to a fail condition. Prisoners are less likely to reoffend if they go through reform programs. Hence the money spent on reform programs (either in terms of the programs themselves or in the opportunity costs of planks not sold) actually does have a tangible effect on the game. New features get added, and the balance changes.

xander

Return to “Community Members”