[Suggestion] Advanced Deployment

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Roy974
level1
level1

[Suggestion] Advanced Deployment

Postby Roy974 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:49 pm

This is something I have been hopping would be implemented at some point because I find it a little limited in the way deployment works. So my suggestion to expand on the way we deploy guards/dogs and armoured guards + how zoning works is as follows.

The ability to select more than 1 of the patrol categories (guards, dogs and/or armoured guards) and lay a patrol route down, this in effect spits each square marking the route into 3 sections or 3 colours which indicates which guard type is allowed to patrol along that route. For example I like to have 1 continues route going all around the prison including around the outside of the walls but I don't want standard or armoured guards to be able to patrol out there because they are of more importance inside the prison due to it been staff only outside of the walls (obviously). Or another example is I want dogs and standard guards to patrol through rooms but I want armoured guards to only patrol the important area's like workshop, canteen, visitation etc. Maybe a new tab in deployment which allows you to select multiple guard types before laying the patrol route down.

The next suggestion (staying within deployment is zoning) again like patrol routes and the ability to set it so multiple guard types can patrol along a set path but not the whole route it would be nice to be able to multi zone rooms like canteens, workshops and cell blocks etc. The problem was how to make this work, so I thought of 1 way to make this work is to have the name of the rooms selectable where by a drop down appears after clicking on the room name where you can then select 1 or more zoning types. But then I thought this would either break or make zoning corridors and none important area's confusing as it would use the current method. So just like guards with the new tab allowing for multiple guard types to be selected I thought maybe it could also be used for selecting more than 1 zone type.
LordBowler
level1
level1

Re: [Suggestion] Advanced Deployment

Postby LordBowler » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:39 pm

I think walls and doors are an effective enough cluge for multiple deployment zones in a single room without having to add to the game.

But I'm with you 100% on overlapping patrol routes. And I kind of like the idea of different colors to denote the different routes with "shared" (read overlapping) squares "split" into the various colors. Clean, as far as UI.

No idea how the code for patrols works though, so this feature could range anywhere from trivial to fundamentally game-changing for all I know.
Helmic
level1
level1

Postby Helmic » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:13 pm

I'm not sure how overlapping patrol routes would look on the UI. One square can only ever be one color, mind. As it is it doesn't seem that difficult to include that 1 square gap necessary to separate a patrol route. I'm not convinced that letting them overlap is worth the bloat in UI.
Roy974
level1
level1

Postby Roy974 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:42 pm

How about if the squares have 2 strips, the background colour is green for the standard guards then if you add say dog handlers to follow part of the route that section of the route will show a yellow strip and if armoured guards are added then a red strip is added. The strips are always there but in less one or both dog handlers and armoured guards are added you do not see those strips.
LordBowler
level1
level1

Postby LordBowler » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:20 pm

Helmic wrote:I'm not sure how overlapping patrol routes would look on the UI. One square can only ever be one color, mind. As it is it doesn't seem that difficult to include that 1 square gap necessary to separate a patrol route. I'm not convinced that letting them overlap is worth the bloat in UI.

To overlap 1 to 4 possible routes you'd need 15 new pallet entries for patrols, all automatically applicable with pretty simple logic.

1 2 3 4
    1 2 3 - 1 2 4 - 1 3 4 - 2 3 4
    1 2 - 1 3 - 1 4 - 2 3 - 2 4 - 3 4
    1 - 2 - 3 - 4

More than that and it gets unwieldy. It's a fibonacci-esque thing where you multiply the previous term by 2 and add 1.

5 routes would be 2(15) + 1 = 31 pallet entries.
6 routes would be 2(31) + 1 = 63 pallet entries.

Obviously, it doesn't make sense to make this part of the game until all the various patrol types have been nailed down. If they wanted to add one, they'd have tied this big complicated AI system into the process. But I hope it's on their radar.

Return to “Community Members”