Selling wood

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Drakexz
level2
level2

Selling wood

Postby Drakexz » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:31 pm

I've tried to create a Prison with the maximum amount of wood so i'd get the maximum profit from selling only wood or wooden products.
But for some reason, the game only keeps storing the wood in the workshop instead of selling it on the exports area.
After loading the saved game, its selling a few pieces but most of it stays where it is.

Currently my workshop looks like this:
(Im not sure if this is enough wood for them to work with)
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =372242779

Is it bugged?
Helmic
level1
level1

Re: Selling wood

Postby Helmic » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:13 pm

It's those carpentry benches. The moment you built one, the game decided forevermore that absolutely ALL wood is now reserved for beds. Despite the fact that your carpenters will never, ever be able to keep up with the constant flood of wood coming in. Getting rid of them won't help you, nothing short of editing the save file will un-fuck you. It's not bugged per se because the game does actually intend to stop selling your wood once you can make something better with it, just as it stops selling your logs once you can start making wood. But the result is a massive loss in profits because there's no way in hell anyone can ever have enough carpenters to keep up with their forestry's output.

Ideally the game would calculate how much wood to sell based on the rate that logs are being produced versus the rate that beds are being produced so that it can sell the excess, but I would take a simple checklist in the Finances tab as well. Let me the player decide if I want to continue selling wood or not, just prioritize moving wood to carpentry tables over moving wood to exports.

There's dick puns in there somewhere I'm sure.
Last edited by Helmic on Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drakexz
level2
level2

Postby Drakexz » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:16 pm

Mmh, so if i'd remove the carpentry tables they should start cutting and / or selling the wood?

I have to try it tomorrow.
Helmic
level1
level1

Postby Helmic » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:21 pm

Drakexz wrote:Mmh, so if i'd remove the carpentry tables they should start cutting and / or selling the wood?

I have to try it tomorrow.

Nope, you are already fucked. Think you can try editing the save file, I think I heard about some setting you could switch to make them start selling wood again. Dunno if that works while having carpentry tables or not.
Robert
level2
level2

Postby Robert » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:17 pm

Under the objects menu you can use the Sell Object button and sell them that way so it doesn't all go to waste.
Drakexz
level2
level2

Postby Drakexz » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:23 am

I got a backup save from my default map (very well working 260 high security inmates prison) without any modifications. So if it doesn't work i can simply retry with someting else.
nielsmh
level0

Postby nielsmh » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:30 am

Teach more carpenters, build more carpentry benches.

Also make your workshops smaller. You can never put more than 20 prisoners to work in a single room so it's better to use the space for more rooms. Don't build more than 20 work stations in each workshop, or you will have some standing unused.
Manabender
level0

Postby Manabender » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:01 am

Helmic wrote:It's those carpentry benches. The moment you built one, the game decided forevermore that absolutely ALL wood is now reserved for beds. Despite the fact that your carpenters will never, ever be able to keep up with the constant flood of wood coming in.

That's odd. I have a prison in which, for the most part, logs and wood build up, but are still occasionally carted out to exports. However, once I load the prison, the majority of (but not all of) wood is carted out to exports. Once everything is carted out, there is always at least once stack (usually of 20+) of wood on each carpentry table, and a few other stacks of varying sizes on tables.
Drakexz
level2
level2

Postby Drakexz » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:01 am

nielsmh wrote:Teach more carpenters, build more carpentry benches.

Also make your workshops smaller. You can never put more than 20 prisoners to work in a single room so it's better to use the space for more rooms. Don't build more than 20 work stations in each workshop, or you will have some standing unused.

My prisoners are too dumb, no more are interested in carpentry. So unless i get more prisoners, which will only happen once some are released, there is no need of building more carpenter tables.

Yes i know, the workshops are not the "pefect size", but i don't care, i got enough space. Building more workshops is useless as there are not enough prisoners who are qualified to work in them.
Helmic
level1
level1

Postby Helmic » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:28 am

nielsmh wrote:Teach more carpenters, build more carpentry benches.

So much wrong here. There's never enough interested prisoners to learn carpentry to ever keep up with the flood of wood coming in from a large forestry, even with all needs met and no suprression whatsoever and a stellar pass rate. Even if the beds were free to make, they'd be less profitable than wood because they're so slow and they're mutually exclusive with wood exports. Unless, of course, you want to manually sell all of that wood, like Godus except even more shit. In that case sell all the wood that hasn't been moved from your saws, because the saws won't be used again until that wood is gone.

And you should most definitely have way more workstations than you do carpenters, because beds won't get placed on tables. A workstation that has a bed on it cannot be used until that bed is sent to exports, any prisoners will try to use an empty workstation first. If all your workstations fill up with beds then your workers will stop working.

Manabender wrote:
Helmic wrote:That's odd. I have a prison in which, for the most part, logs and wood build up, but are still occasionally carted out to exports. However, once I load the prison, the majority of (but not all of) wood is carted out to exports. Once everything is carted out, there is always at least once stack (usually of 20+) of wood on each carpentry table, and a few other stacks of varying sizes on tables.

Yeah, when you load a prison all your wood is marked for export except those that already have something to do (in the case of carpentry benches, that's be turned into beds). It's actually a good way to handle that buildup of wood, because selling them would be nightmarish.

Return to “Community Members”