A suggestion / question about the workshop

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Timmiej93
level0

A suggestion / question about the workshop

Postby Timmiej93 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:49 am

Hi guys,

So first of all, let me say that I love the game you're creating. It's a great game, and having these continuous updates is awesome.
Now I do have one slight problem with the workshop.

The situation is as follows: I have a huge forestry area, so wood aplenty. I would like my workshop to process this wood (obviously). Unfortunately, because of the conditions for the workshop, it also requires a press. Well, no biggy I thought, one prisoner will be cutting up a little bit of iron sheets and pressing them into licence plates. But no, almost all of my prisoners started cutting up the iron sheets, while they left the wood alone. So since I only had one press, the profit was close to nothing.

Is there anything I can do about this in the latest alpha? I really don't care for producing licence plates, but I'm afraid I'm stuck with it, right?

As a suggestion: I would love to be able to set the kind of product that a workshop produces, being able to specialize in one specific product would be great.
ElSalvaje
level1
level1

Re: A suggestion / question about the workshop

Postby ElSalvaje » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:13 pm

Do you have any logs and wood in your workshop? Because sheet metal will be bought if that's not the case. Prisoners will cut all remaining metal sheets up first before they start cutting the logs.

Now there is this bug http://bugs.introversion.co.uk/view.php?id=3780 which is very annoying and might be also the problem in your case. Everytime you load a save, workmen bring most of the logs and wooden planks to exports. You obviously don't want that when you have carpentry unlocked and want your prisoners to produce profitable superior beds. Your workshops will get emptied and metal sheets will be bought.

This also happened in my prison and i couldn't figure out why this happened until I found this bug. The reporter of the bug found a workaround: just delete the exports room before you save a game and after loading the game recreate the exports room. You can also do this after you've loaded the gamesave, but then some logs will still be transfered to the exports room. Since I use this workaround my workshop presses are collecting dust like I intended and is my exports room filling up with cheap labor beds :D I hope this works for you too!

As a suggestion: I would love to be able to set the kind of product that a workshop produces, being able to specialize in one specific product would be great.

I strongly support that!
Gangrene
level1
level1

Postby Gangrene » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:46 pm

Yeah, I run wood prisons all the time. You can't have an exports area and have to sell the planks manually.
Timmiej93
level0

Postby Timmiej93 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:48 pm

I can't be 100% sure, but I do think I always had at least logs in my workshop.
At the moment I'm working around the problem by just not having a press in the workshop. There will be the annoying triangle flashing, but the prisoners do keep working and only saw wood (as far as I've seen at this moment).

I will try removing the exports room for a second after loading a game, that could come in handy, thank you.
Helmic
level1
level1

Postby Helmic » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:58 pm

I think this would work better if you could choose what to export. As it is now, I produce WAY more wooden planks than I do beds, but I can't sell planks and beds. Instead there's logs and planks everywhere, which I have to manually sell to clear up enough space so my prisoners will actually work. They'll start exporting when I load a save, but after that it'll reserve all the wood for carpentry which simply cannot keep up.
Timmiej93
level0

Postby Timmiej93 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:03 pm

I also noticed that, they just keep piling it up instead of looking ahead for the amount of planks they will need.
I do understand that's a difficult thing to implement, but it would be very neat.

Return to “Community Members”