[suggestion] Deployment option for "Not in use"

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

nielsmh
level0

[suggestion] Deployment option for "Not in use"

Postby nielsmh » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:21 am

I would be very happy with a way to mark areas as "not in use". This would combine three different behaviours, two existing and one new.
The main purpose of a "not in use" area would be for things under construction.

A not-in-use area should:
1. Have all doors unlocked, similar to the existing "Unlocked" deployment option
2. Forbid all objects and rooms in the area from being used (since the area isn't officially open yet)
3. Be staff-only (sort of implicit from point 2)

The most important is point #2. By marking an area as not-in-use, I would prevent prisoners from trying to claim cells (as they do in Unlocked), cooks from trying to cook (nobody would be there to eat), and janitors from running around to sweep (nobody yet cares how clean it is).

I think it would be fine to entirely replace the "Unlocked" deployment option with this, I don't see any use for it apart from under construction areas, but "Unlocked" has the major disadvantage of staff and prisoners still trying to use the area.
5hifty
level4
level4

Re: [suggestion] Deployment option for "Not in use"

Postby 5hifty » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:23 am

I think if when a area was marked as Unlocked, if it was also considered Staff Only it would actually cause me to use the designation. I also think that new areas should default to Staff Only - or to Unlocked (if it is considered staff only as well)
nielsmh
level0

Postby nielsmh » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:05 pm

Unlocked also being Staff Only would solve some of the problem, but not everything. Half-built rooms in Staff Only areas still get used as things are now, because the game has no way to know whether you have finished building something, except for the room minimum requirements. But for rooms like laundries, canteens, kitchens and workshops, you probably don't want your staff to waste time trying to stock them with uniforms/trays/sheet metal before you're actually ready to open the room for use.

Edit: Alternatively, this would solve the problem: http://bugs.introversion.co.uk/view.php?id=6796
RichieGrape
level4
level4

Postby RichieGrape » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:03 pm

what we really need is just the ability to zone places as multiple things
for example: having a canteen that is both min and med but not max or like your guys example where a cell block is unlocked and staff only while building
Deehok
level0

Postby Deehok » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:51 pm

RichieGrape wrote:what we really need is just the ability to zone places as multiple things
for example: having a canteen that is both min and med but not max or like your guys example where a cell block is unlocked and staff only while building

+1
lunaticneko
level2
level2

Postby lunaticneko » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:08 am

RichieGrape wrote:what we really need is just the ability to zone places as multiple things

This.

Because Not In Use is actually Unlocked + Staff Only. It would also, just like the OP said, not be actually counted as a functional room.
kalkkuna
level0

Postby kalkkuna » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:39 am

I have use temporary green staff only door at building time. Removed when done.

Return to “Community Members”