Friendships, enemy's and gangs

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

EwanDowney
level0

Friendships, enemy's and gangs

Postby EwanDowney » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:38 am

It would be really nice to see friendships, enemy's and gangs for example if a fight breaks out between 2 prisoners a friend would help out or if the prisoner is in a gang the gang would step in friends can exchange contraband and dig tunnels together
Firefitter
level1
level1

Re: Friendships, enemy's and gangs

Postby Firefitter » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:55 am

I think this is a really cool idea. But I have no idea how to implement it ...

A great idea but might be to tough to do.
Firefitter
level1
level1

Postby Firefitter » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:55 am

I think this is a really cool idea. But I have no idea how to implement it ...

perryliu97
level2
level2

Postby perryliu97 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:04 am

Apart from the slight concern that it might make the save files even bigger (open them up and see what goes on already!), it's not a bad idea.

It's been mentioned several times as well, I believe, so there is definitely demand for it.
LordBowler
level1
level1

Postby LordBowler » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:40 pm

Firefitter wrote:I think this is a really cool idea. But I have no idea how to implement it ...

"Affinity". At an individual prisoner level, each prisoner keeps track of a single numerical tag that tells him whether he's "Allies", "Acquaintances", "Indifferent" or "Enemies" with each other prisoner.

Prisoner's personality, traits and needs dictate how they modify this affinity given the actions of other prisoners.

Being "allies" forms the beginning of a gang, being "acquaintances" forms a relationship that can be exploited to acquire contraband or dig tunnels together. Being "indifferent" is the current paradigm, and being "enemies" also feeds into the gang behavior.

This way the game should only need to update the tags for prisoners once or twice a day.

The only issue is the already hefty resource requirements for larger prisons. If one had to keep track of the relationship status of 50 prisoners, that's 50! additional *dynamic* tags to track. Which could easily kill your framerate.

----------------------------------------
Alternatively
----------------------------------------

Real prison life is very racial in America at least. "Like with like", they say. A single static racial tag on each prisoner that automagically inducts them into a racial gang after a few days in the prison without incident would probably do just fine. But as a Dorf Fort fan, I'd really like to see something more... Fun. I want the smart guys in the prison to find each other and start hacking CCTV systems, or shutting off power. I want to see gangs trying to arm up with contraband before a riot. I want drug addicts to spend every waking moment trying to get and trade contraband. I want to have absolutely no way of predicting what these crazy idiots will do next, or why.

As it stands, our prisoners are completely predictable, and our staff is where all the crazy idiots live.

Return to “Community Members”