What features could be removed?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Gikgik
level1
level1

What features could be removed?

Postby Gikgik » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:47 am

It seems that perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove. / Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Can any features be removed from Prison Architect?

* Janitors and Cleaning. Needing to research "cleaning" while filth piles up within the prison, is absurd. Make the Cleaning Cupboard buildable from start, and allow Workmen and Cooks to pick up a broom when idle.
* Morgues. Currently no practical use; they only cause trouble, by providing prisoners with contraband.
blipadouzi
level4
level4

Re: What features could be removed?

Postby blipadouzi » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:52 am

Gikgik wrote:* Janitors and Cleaning. Needing to research "cleaning" while filth piles up within the prison, is absurd.

I half agree with this... I agree that a very basic cleaning should be unlocked from the get-go. But there should be some sort of advanced cleaning for later game phases that should remain unloackable.

Make the Cleaning Cupboard buildable from start, and allow Workmen and Cooks to pick up a broom when idle.

The union won't allow it... :P

* Morgues. Currently no practical use; they only cause trouble, by providing prisoners with contraband.

Nothing to add, Morgues are just space wasters at this point. Someone dies, the hearse is on site right away. I've never had any prisoners placed in my morgues.
Tycoonkoz
level0

Postby Tycoonkoz » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:45 am

What are you talking about, I use my morgue all the time.

http://imgur.com/PF90JgT :wink:
lugaru
level3
level3

Postby lugaru » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:18 pm

Back in the day the Morgue was a 'must' and also a punishment, as it would slowly fill up with dead prisoners and staff. If you sucked, and back then riots did happen a lot more, you would find yourself building expansions to the morgue. At this point I would say 'cut it, or make it useful'.

Ways to make it useful:

- Being near a dead body is a HUGE morale killer for prisoners. You need to store that body somewhere because the hearse, much like the prisoner delivery, comes only once a day. No morgue, expect riots from prisoners forced to eat in a cafeteria with a dead body in it.
- The morgue is where autopsies are conducted. All deaths in custody negatively affect your prison for a long time, but at least proving what happened (prison fight, overdose, electrocution) will cut that penalty in half.

As for cleaning, I do wish I could bring in Janitors from the start. I think prison labor should be the desired solution on the long term, but janitors should be totally basic 'day one' hiring with chefs.
YMS
level1
level1

Postby YMS » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:46 pm

lugaru wrote:Back in the day the Morgue was a 'must' and also a punishment, as it would slowly fill up with dead prisoners and staff. If you sucked, and back then riots did happen a lot more, you would find yourself building expansions to the morgue. At this point I would say 'cut it, or make it useful'.

[...]

As for cleaning, I do wish I could bring in Janitors from the start. I think prison labor should be the desired solution on the long term, but janitors should be totally basic 'day one' hiring with chefs.

Completely agree to everything.
Gikgik
level1
level1

Postby Gikgik » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:49 pm

The game should add a significant economic cost of removing a corpse, if there is no morgue, where an autopsy can be done.
czar mohab
level2
level2

Postby czar mohab » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:18 am

I honestly think that the problem is with the hearse and not the morgue itself. My morgues get used, but rarely due to the near instant hearse spawn. Hearse should probably come after 2000 and stop coming around 0800 if there are dead bodies. Its bad enough that visitors through the main gate are going into a dangerous prison where someone just died; no need to traumatize them more by wheeling a dead body past them as they enter.

I agree that some form of basic cleaning should be available from day one, but not workmen and cooks, and definitely not the cleaning cupboard. I'm all for keeping the CC un-lockable but letting janitors be available earlier (such as when the Foreman is unlocked).

The number 1 item I would remove, or at least make modifiable would be the hard coded sleep time - but that horse has been beat to death already, no need to continue that discussion here,

The Czar
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:58 am

More to the point, the morgue staff should probably perform an autopsy before the hearse is even called...

xander

Return to “Community Members”