[SUGGESTION] Allow Large Prison Doors to be rotated

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

mire3212
level1
level1

[SUGGESTION] Allow Large Prison Doors to be rotated

Postby mire3212 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:10 pm

I've noticed that the large Prison doors always open away from the lock (usually to the left of the screen or up towards the top) but I would like to use two large prison doors next to each other that get triggered via door servo hooked to a timer to allow more people to pass through simultaneously. I.E. mass exodus towards the yard during yard time. I'm able to get it working, but both doors overlap and move left -- the animation places both doors on top of each other.

It would be nice if the large prison door could be rotated so that you can set which way the door opens.
lunaticneko
level2
level2

Re: [SUGGESTION] Allow Large Prison Doors to be rotated

Postby lunaticneko » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:16 pm

+1

Actually they should show "footprints" for all items. The door opening direction, where to stand to use each item, and so on.
Ketamine
level1
level1

Postby Ketamine » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:16 pm

This is already possible, you just need to press R more..

Door placement/movement is always like this:
Left (default)
Up
Right
Down

So for example if you want the door to open to the right, you press R twice.
Last edited by Ketamine on Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mire3212
level1
level1

Postby mire3212 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:18 pm

Ketamine wrote:Press R more..

Door placement/movement is always like this:
Left (default)
Up
Right
Down

I've definitely been using the R key quite a bit, but the Large Prison Doors only show two animations when rotating; keyhole to the right when horizontal or keyhole to the bottom when vertical.

Alpha 28 by the way.
Last edited by mire3212 on Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:34 pm

The graphic shown while you're placing doors is misleading. Even though there's only one graphic for a double door to be placed "vertically" or "north to south," the door's operations will respect the rotation you dictate. There's just no visual help.

1. Place a door opening north by selecting a double door and pressing 'R' once.
  2. Select a double door from the objects menu again to re-establish the default rotation.
  3. Place a door opening south by pressing 'R' three times.
Graphically steps 1 and 3 will look the same when placing the door. You the player must track the rotation as Ketamine provided.
mire3212
level1
level1

Postby mire3212 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:40 pm

_alphaBeta_ wrote:The graphic shown while you're placing doors is misleading. Even though there's only one graphic for a double door to be placed "vertically" or "north to south," the door's operations will respect the rotation you dictate. There's just no visual help.

1. Place a door opening north by selecting a double door and pressing 'R' once.
  2. Select a double door from the objects menu again to re-establish the default rotation.
  3. Place a door opening south by pressing 'R' three times.
Graphically steps 1 and 3 will look the same when placing the door. You the player must track the rotation as Ketamine provided.

Awesome! Thank you! I guess I just assumed that the visual queue was the only way to tell. It would be great if we could get a little arrow pointing in the direction of operation. Also for things like CCTV where orientation is critical.
Ketamine
level1
level1

Postby Ketamine » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:36 pm

mire3212 wrote:It would be great if we could get a little arrow pointing in the direction of operation. Also for things like CCTV where orientation is critical.

I agree, because if you press middle mouseclick (moving map view around) while holding an object, it rotates it. Not sure why it's set up like that.. which is why I resort to WASD'ing when I'm holding an object for placement. Just memorize 'left, up, -- right, down' (or just clockwise), if I haven't played for a while I sometimes have to say it over in my head as im placing a door, haha.

But for the meantime (with CCTV) you can just look at the object. It has proper directional graphics as opposed to doors.
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:36 pm

mire3212 wrote:Awesome! Thank you! I guess I just assumed that the visual queue was the only way to tell. It would be great if we could get a little arrow pointing in the direction of operation. Also for things like CCTV where orientation is critical.

You're welcome. An arrow or any other graphical indicator for object rotation has been suggested many times before for good reason, so I have to assume that IV are aware of the request.

Ketamine wrote:But for the meantime (with CCTV) you can just look at the object. It has proper directional graphics as opposed to doors.

Even these we can probably agree are not as obvious as they should be. A player shouldn't have to study the objects at maximum zoom while rotating to understand the orientation, just like keeping track of how many times a door has been rotated. At least the functionality is correct. I'm sure IV will pick this up eventually.

Return to “Community Members”