Traffic jam

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Haz
level0

Traffic jam

Postby Haz » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:49 pm

I have about 50 workers just waiting to load and unload trucks. There is a major problem here than trucks come in with just 1 item, and only 1 truck gets in a position to unload at a time. I have enough space for 10 trucks, they need to all pile through and all unload at once. It them seems to randomly assign workers, sometimes from right across the prison and this just causes a massive bottleneck. My prison is just failing to run because cooks can't get any food for the kitchens, all the prisoners start going hungry and then they riot. It's stupid. Trucks should arrive fully loaded and move all the way down.

Also workmen just hang around in stupid places. They should wait in workshops for beds to finish because I'm having to manually sell the beds as very often all my workbenches just have a bed sat on them blocking more work.

Workers should be able to take food to the kitchen, not chefs. I want my chefs to stay in there cooking rather than walking all the way to the road then all the way back. I have 500 population, I bought 1 plot of land to the left, can buy above and below then however big the other side of the road is, but what's the point? It is just impossible to scale a prison so large because the road bottleneck just breaks it
RichieGrape
level4
level4

Re: Traffic jam

Postby RichieGrape » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:49 am

an easy solution to getting rid of your traffic jam is to click "search cellblock" on one of the items on the trucks and your guards will come search all the items and place them on the ground...effectively clearing lots of trucks very quickly (keep in mind not all items can be searched but trees/food/clothing can be searched)
ouyin2000
level1
level1

Postby ouyin2000 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:35 am

Have you updated to Alpha 28 yet? There is a new feature where each truck comes with a driver. Once it parks, the driver gets out and begins unloading or loading the truck while the workers are on their way.
ATAbb123b
level0

Postby ATAbb123b » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:39 pm

they should add people on the herses to help "clean up" the dead
Drakexz
level2
level2

Postby Drakexz » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:08 pm

Alpha 28 doesn't really solve the problem. It is better, but there are still traffic jams on the road. Even with more than enough workmen.

The best solution would still be if we could station workmen in the deliveries / export area just for unloading trucks and loading exports on the trucks. This way the walkway would be minimal and it would speed up the process a lot.
Helmic
level1
level1

Postby Helmic » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:03 am

Here's my solution to this problem. Fairly straightforward and requires no input from the player.

http://imgur.com/a/ImUF5

Optimizing how jobs are assigned would improve a lot of things too, though we have to be careful not to risk Dwarf Fortress levels of CPU melting. Currently some idle workers will idle in deliveries while others will idle in storage rooms - it'd be better if the closest idle worker was immediately assigned to a task. Currently it seems like a crapshoot who will be assigned to a task. I *think* what happens is that the game picks the FIRST idle worker it can find that's close, and then never checks again to see if maybe now someone else is idle and is already closer. I would much rather put up with suboptimal job assignments than Dwarf Fortress levels of FPS death, though.
zbyrne
level2
level2

Postby zbyrne » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:28 pm

Well in truth if trucks no longer delivered single items this would resolve the issue. Most of my jams are caused by seven trucks each with one pallet of goods, which is nonsense. Perhaps a daily delivery of goods, might slow up construction, but shouldn't ever cause a food shortage.
Helmic
level1
level1

Postby Helmic » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:42 pm

zbyrne wrote:Well in truth if trucks no longer delivered single items this would resolve the issue. Most of my jams are caused by seven trucks each with one pallet of goods, which is nonsense. Perhaps a daily delivery of goods, might slow up construction, but shouldn't ever cause a food shortage.

Yeah, a slight delay on truck arrivals would probably fix that. Still, I have this issue whenever I start doing large constructions like outfitting an entire cell block at once - full trucks are still horribly inefficient.
Drakexz
level2
level2

Postby Drakexz » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:52 pm

zbyrne wrote:Well in truth if trucks no longer delivered single items this would resolve the issue. Most of my jams are caused by seven trucks each with one pallet of goods, which is nonsense. Perhaps a daily delivery of goods, might slow up construction, but shouldn't ever cause a food shortage.

Or at least allow the truck to only leave the "supply depot outside the map" if it is fully loaded (all 8 places in use) and not just with 2 tree saplings.

Return to “Community Members”