Let's talk time!

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

LordBowler
level1
level1

Re: Let's talk time!

Postby LordBowler » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:35 am

Jazzpirate wrote:Wait a second - sorry if I'm asking a noob question, but do I understand the discussion in this thread right, that movement speed and clock speed are not exactly in relation to each other? I mean - let's say it takes a prisoner some time t (on the ingame clock) to do x. If I now speed up, does it actually take him longer (on the ingame clock)? If so, that's insane! I'm almost always on the highest speed since normal speed is just way to slow - I give building commands etc. on pause and then switch to the highest speed until it's finished. That would basically mean I should leave everything on the slowest speed and get bored while they finish some humongous building -.-

But I absolutely second the fact that everyone moves waaay to slow. It shouldn't take a prisoner half an hour on clocktime to walk 200m or something, and it's really bugging me. And it messes with the needs of my prisoners in an uncalculable, unintuitive and annoying way...

Not at all a noob question. I only just barely think I might maybe understand their solution to this movement issue, and it's ramifications are still mysterious to me. But as I understand it, close, but not quite.

We need to unify our language first.
Clock Time - This is "seen" time. The time you see pass on the UI clock.
Game Time - This is "invisible" time passage as tracked internally to the game. There are two kinds.
1) Game Time (Outside) - Used to track prisoner release.
2) Game Time (Inside) - Used to track and pace all activities inside our prisons.

This TimeWarpFactor is applied to Game Time (Inside) only. This means that decreasing it decreases the duration of a given time unit (I think?), which in turn means that given the same rates of activity-doing, more can get done in a 24 hour Clock Time day. However, it also means that if you, say, decrease TWF from 1.0 to 0.5, you've turned that 24 hour Clock Time day into a 48 hour Game Time day.

Needs accumulate at a given rate and are designed around a 24 hour cycle (8 hours of sleep, 2 square meals a day, etc). As someone aptly said upthread, changing this time warp factor is like moving all your prisoners from earth to some planet with a 48 hour day, and just doubling the duration of all scheduled activities. This completely whacks out the needs cycle, negating the supposed benefits of speeding up their rate of movement.

So it's not quite that speeding up the Clock Time changes the speed prisoners do things relative to that clock time. It's just that the Clock Time is disconnected from the amount of "stuff" prisoners can accomplish, if that makes any sense.

Hashtag Jesus this -ish- is weird.
Jazzpirate
level1
level1

Postby Jazzpirate » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:00 pm

LordBowler wrote:Needs accumulate at a given rate and are designed around a 24 hour cycle (8 hours of sleep, 2 square meals a day, etc). As someone aptly said upthread, changing this time warp factor is like moving all your prisoners from earth to some planet with a 48 hour day, and just doubling the duration of all scheduled activities. This completely whacks out the needs cycle, negating the supposed benefits of speeding up their rate of movement.

So it's not quite that speeding up the Clock Time changes the speed prisoners do things relative to that clock time. It's just that the Clock Time is disconnected from the amount of "stuff" prisoners can accomplish, if that makes any sense.

In this case, I'd say: Prisoners/guards etc. should move (a lot) faster (or the clock time should be slower) to make large prisons more manageable (and make it more realistic - it seems absurd if they take half an hour to move 200m or something, and it's counterintuitive), however unlike decreasing the warptime factor, the needs should not accumulate faster.

As far as I understand it, the objection is that the game would be "even slower" - but that should be solvable by introducing a faster speed. When you speed up, why you want after all is just "make time pass faster"; not just jump ahead and leaving all else (needs etc.) equal...
Pogmothoin
level2
level2

Postby Pogmothoin » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:06 am

Something really needs to be done about this, I'm over 500 hours played of the game and every time any of my prisons get quite large time becomes a serious issue. If I have a lot of jobs for workers qued or the guards are particularly busy then my prison grinds to a halt almost, the prisoners only move 1-2 squares a minute, and that's when they have somewhere to be! Even 2 hours isn't enough time for some prisoners to walk 100 squares and get something to eat. I've seen classes finish before some of the prisoners even get to them, and they set off for them as soon as the work segment started, and nothing hindered them on route.

I've built just about every kind of prison you can imagine in the time I've played, and have learnt how to maximise efficiency so that prisoners get from A to B as fast as possible and even that's not enough. I like playing the game at a slow speed and watching the prisoners go about their daily lives, but sitting watching prisoners walk from one place to the next and never quite making it in time is just wrong especially when the canteen, yard, classes, workshops, visitation, library etc etc etc, are all within 50-100 squares from any cell or each other.

Please do something to make time relevant and more realistic in it's passage, I get the that the game can get bogged down and runs slow until it catches up with jobs, But at least make it so that the clock and prisoners move at a standard speed. The time in game goes way too fast, I know because I can have a shower, get dressed, have breakfast go for a dump and walk to work all in an hour, but it takes the average prisoner a minimum of 4 hours to do the same. Assigning an hour for anything is absolutely useless, they can't do anything in an hour except for shower in the morning.

Return to “Community Members”