[Suggestion] New staff + game mechanic to replace workman

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

DeputyLOL
level1
level1

[Suggestion] New staff + game mechanic to replace workman

Postby DeputyLOL » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:31 pm

I've been a PA player for quite a long time and I like how the game has changed over the course of its development. I'd like to thank Nerd3 for making me aware of this game and the developers for making those alpha videos that made me purchase it.
I know that this game is still in alpha but I had some ideas that might add some more depth, challenge, awesomeness and realism to the game.

My first idea is to remove the workman as a hireable staff member (not completely true as my second idea states) as when you build an extension to your prison you don't use your own private internal building firm, you use an external one. Also workers are always taken up by other jobs such as moving a box or moving garbage. My idea will hopefully make the game more realistic but will make construction slower.
So instead of hiring workmen as staff, they come in only when needed, like teachers. Workmen are now only responsible for construction of foundations, installing power or water stations, walls, some outdoor flooring, all indoor flooring and demolition of walls or buildings. They are no longer tasked with installing objects, moving supplies (except construction supplies) or repairs. As such they are now called builders / contractors / construction workers instead of being called workmen.
So how does it work? When you laydown a bunch of walls for example, you then go to the jobs menu and hire a building firm to build them. Once you've hired one they will send over a surveyor to have a look then they will dispatcher the builders. You could set how many builders are to be dispatched or you could let the building firm decide and they will determine how many to send based on the size of the job (more builders = more expensive). Builders would then stay until exhausted and then they would drive home in a building firm's vehicle, they will wait until the vehicle is full of tired builders and empty of building supplies before they drive off, to be replaced with new builders dispatched from the building firm. Builders and supplies will be dispatched in different types of vehicles (pickup truck, supply truck or van) depending on the job. (If the designated number of builders are on the site but more supplies are needed then the building firm will dispatch them in the appropriate vehicle with unloaders instead of builders. An unloader is basically a free builder whose only job is to empty their vehicle of supplies and then leave to minimize traffic)
There are 4 types of jobs: small jobs, medium jobs, large jobs and demolition jobs:
-Small jobs may include things like building a short wall, laying down a road path, installing a water station or power station. In this case 1 or 2 builders will show up in a pickup truck capable of carrying 2 boxes of supplies in the back and 2 builders in the cab. If more builders are hired then they will follow in more pickup trucks.
-Medium jobs include small buildings, medium length walls and basically anything that normally requires more than 2 builders or boxes of supplies. This time the builders will arrive in vans that can carry 2 builders in the front and 4 builders or boxes of supplies in the back. More vans or pickup trucks may turn up if necessary.
-Large jobs usually are for building a big foundation or a long wall. Builders arrive in multiple medium job vans while supplies only arrive in a supply truck that can carry 8 boxes of supplies (just like the current one) and 2 unloaders. Builders will help the unloaders by prioritise moving the supplies from the truck to the construction site to minimize traffic.
-Demolition jobs are a bit different. They are still governed by the building firm if it is a large, medium or small job and assign the appropriate vehicles and number of workers but don't come in with supplies. They would then demolition what you wanted to remove and put the rubble in either pickup trucks or supply trucks (not vans) as piles of rubble (not garbage) depending on the amount of rubble generated.

I think that this would add a whole new element to the game while not effect gameplay too much. This could be taken much further (e.g. Electricians are dispatched to install power stations, cables, capacitors, etc. and plumbers are dispatched to install pipes, water pumps, etc. both of which could be dispatched with the builders or on their own in different vehicles)

Second idea is what would replace the old workmen. 2 new staff members:
1. Engineer - can install, dismantle and dump objects (tv, doors, lights, etc.) and some utilities (cctv, logic gates, security consoles) and repair stuff. He can also train prisoners in Workshop health and safety so you can have more than one workshop program running at the same time. (maybe even assist the builders in construction and demolition if he isn't busy). His downside is that he is a bit weak and can't carry things very far. He will make carrying things a very low priority (unless he needs to move an object a few steps in order to install it). If he does have to carry something a long distance he will walk very slowly, he will get very tired, very quickly and probably stop several times to have a rest. Best to hire a transporter.
2. Transporter - his main job is to move things. He is responsible for moving supplies around your prison so that the rest of the staff don't have to. He can move supplies and objects from the trucks to deliveries, he will move food to the kitchen (but it is still the cooks job to move food, trays and waste around the kitchen and canteen.) He will very important but also very cheap. He will help engineers by moving objects near to where you want them installed so that the engineer can quickly install it with out having to carry it very far. (he may also aid the builders in moving supplies or rubble around if he isn't busy)

I hope you take the time to read this and overlook any speling or.gr-aMMar problems. I hope people like my idea and it may even get implemented (but probably not)

Let me know what you think.
YMS
level1
level1

Re: [Suggestion] New staff + game mechanic to replace workma

Postby YMS » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:38 am

Well, this is a building game, so I don'tthink slowing down the building process would do the game a favor. That said, I could imagine external contractors building or helping with building the foundations, so you don't have to hire loads of workmen for a one time project of building one bigger foundation if you don't want to wait for days until it's finished. They then should come in immediately, though, just like the materials they will be using.
DeputyLOL
level1
level1

Postby DeputyLOL » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:54 pm

YMS wrote:Well, this is a building game, so I don'tthink slowing down the building process would do the game a favor. That said, I could imagine external contractors building or helping with building the foundations, so you don't have to hire loads of workmen for a one time project of building one bigger foundation if you don't want to wait for days until it's finished. They then should come in immediately, though, just like the materials they will be using.

I see what your saying. It just didn't make sense to me that you had your own work force that is capable to build an entire prison. The contractors would also add a bit more micro management to the game cause you could choose how many to hire for the job (meaning you could have a couple of builders working on a side project instead of all of your workmen dividing up important jobs to work on it.)

Basically my idea would make building a little bit slower but add realism to it, while also making the prison flow much better.
(also IV added my truck driver idea so thanks guys, you da best!)
lunaticneko
level2
level2

Postby lunaticneko » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:56 am

Nice idea. However, the idea is quite stated ... how should I say, your essay is quite too much. I understand your point, though.

Having staff only when you need it seems like a nice idea. Normal workmen would roll stuff around the prison, while contractor staff, (that's how we call them here) including builders, plumbers, electricians, appliance installers, repairers, etc come when needed. Here's the best part: You don't pay $100 every day just to keep them around.

Also may I suggest that vending machines need to be regularly restocked. This means unprotected (AFAIK all non-guard staff have 1 HP) contractor staff may need to reach deep into the warzone that is Supermax Staff Room to shove cola back into the machine.
DeputyLOL
level1
level1

Postby DeputyLOL » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:41 pm

lunaticneko wrote:Nice idea. However, the idea is quite stated ... how should I say, your essay is quite too much. I understand your point, though.

Having staff only when you need it seems like a nice idea. Normal workmen would roll stuff around the prison, while contractor staff, (that's how we call them here) including builders, plumbers, electricians, appliance installers, repairers, etc come when needed. Here's the best part: You don't pay $100 every day just to keep them around.

Also may I suggest that vending machines need to be regularly restocked. This means unprotected (AFAIK all non-guard staff have 1 HP) contractor staff may need to reach deep into the warzone that is Supermax Staff Room to shove cola back into the machine.

I like your idea about the other staff as well. Sorry about the essay, I was just speaking what my mind was saying. Contractor staff could also add an actual use to the jobs tab. When you purchase something or build something, it appears in the job tab and you can then edit how it would be built. You could have in game contractor firms that have different stats that you have to choose between. (one really cheap but will take longer, one really expensive and will be really quick, etc...) You could also edit job priorities so that they don't waste time on jobs you dont want to happen yet. Something like that....

Sorry if I was rambling again but I really think it would be a nice feature.

Return to “Community Members”