[Suggestion] Planning mode

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Marvison
level0

Re: [Suggestion] Planning mode

Postby Marvison » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:33 pm

I have what appear to me to be a small and hopefully easy list of things to implement.

- A drop down menu above "Objects" that list objects by room and their size.
- The ability to label a room via planning as a certain room and have it list on mouseover the requirements.
- A rooms default in planning could be an amazing tool for beginners. It would place the planned room and all its requirements.

After reading this post I've noticed a lot of people have way bigger ideas than what I originally had.
- Being able to click "Build" on a plan would be cool but it would have to be a click and drag tool, only areas in the highlighted area would be built.
- Being able to clone plans would be awesome.
- I don't like the rooms showing how many workers and other finer details. I think some things should come with experience. If all the information is there before I build it cuts down mistakes and hence playthroughs.

Just my two cents. This was the first planning thread I found. Here's to hoping for the next update!
Helmic
level1
level1

Re: [Suggestion] Planning mode

Postby Helmic » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:41 pm

I really like how planning works right now. It's very simple, doesn't need any explanations, the symbols mean what you want them to mean. It's a fast way to sketch up what I want to do without having to go into more detail than I want. That's what makes planning mode so awesome.

What I'd like to see is this simplicity kept intact, but expanded upon a little bit. A proper copy-paste tool, with the ability to mirror and rotate drawings, perhaps merged with the current Clone tool. The ability to write text on the map, so that we can label rooms, write notes, list cell block capacities, whatever we want. Fix certain objects not erasing object symbols.

I think allowing us to put down "planned" versions of objects might be a bit much, I think a better way to handle it is to give us more symbols. A generic door symbol that's size agnostic, so that players using mods can plan their gigantic doors without issue. A second object symbol, using the current pathways symbol. Premade 2x2, 2x1, 3x1, 3x2, 3x3, 5x1, et cetera symbols to represent larger items to help make it easier to visualize stuff like cramped canteens and busy kitchens.

Keep the planning tool abstract, just give us more stuff to play with. I like how I can use the pathway tool as a second object symbol and the game doesn't give a fuck. Keep it that way.

Return to “Community Members”