Giving people drug Treatment is bad .-.

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Creeper Joe
level0

Giving people drug Treatment is bad .-.

Postby Creeper Joe » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:21 pm

If you've read the title (which you should've), you will know that I'm about to complain about drugs.

Now, the system itself is fine. People overdosing, drug addicts being all too keen on getting their hands on drugs etc. this is quite nifty. Eventually, I ignored the problem and it became a prominent issue in my prison. At first I was excited that I actually had a big problem on my hands that isn't a riot. I try my best to resolve it but it turns out that my results were unfruitful. I dig around and bumped into the main cause of the drug problems: The drug treatment program... Yikes.

As it turns out, almost every bloody prisoner that visits to attend this program will end up smuggling drugs from it. I've had dogs patrolling it, but the medbay is too big and the time it takes between K9 units to change patrol shifts is way too long. About 2/3 of all the drugs being acquired turned out to be acquired from the infirmary itself and 3/4 of all attendants will smuggle something out after the program. And I haven't got the time to manually search every prisoner at the end of the program. The program itself has issues tied to it as well, because the above-mentioned facts cause them to smuggle drugs out even if they've recently been cured, causing them to instantly being hooked again.

I'd would really enjoy getting this resolved, since this is just absurd. Leaving people without drug treatmeant is even more effective at preventing the spread of drugs then holding drug treatment.
henke37
level2
level2

Re: Giving people drug Treatment is bad .-.

Postby henke37 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:36 pm

At least it is realistic that drug addicts are stealing drugs. But yeah, it appears absurd in this case.
blipadouzi
level4
level4

Postby blipadouzi » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:39 pm

The problem is with how Needles are coded. As far as the game is concerned, they are neither metallic nor smelly... so the dogs and detectors can't detect them.
Trumbettoo
level1
level1

Postby Trumbettoo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:31 am

Yip, I also noted the my infirmary became main drug output house.

So I stopped addict programs altogether as downs outpreformed ups. Shame it is like that but until you have really decent chance to cure addiction there isn't any need beside grades.
Yes, it lowers inmate need for drugs but they'll still steal it everytime after programs so i made them staff only with no programs for junkies and drug contrabend dropped by 50%
nikki katz
level0

Postby nikki katz » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:38 pm

I was wondering why my drug rehabilitation program had a 0% success rate...

Well, actually a lot of them passed, it just didn't stop them from using drugs.
lugaru
level3
level3

Postby lugaru » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:43 pm

This thread explains a lot. I started my most recent prison as a 'reform' facility, meaning I was committed to detoxing, educating and training prisoners. The first part never worked out too well.
ElSalvaje
level1
level1

Postby ElSalvaje » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:40 pm

I've tested a couple of times what there could be done about inmates stealing drugs from the infirmary after a drug treatment session. I had 5 guards stationed in infirmary, dog's patrolling around it. After the session inmates had to pass through a small corridor with couple of dog's in it. Some where caught with drugs. After the dogs I would lock the rest of them in immediately and search them manually. I've did this a couple of times, and every single one of them would leave the treatment session with drugs. Ok, to be honest maybe one had only a bottle of poison on him. :D

So i guess drug treatment is useless right now. Not only useless, but also part of the problem. I hope this will get fixed. I want to be able to help those poor bastards :D
Helmic
level1
level1

Postby Helmic » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:25 pm

I don't think they're actually cured by the treatments, either. They'll complete the program successfully, but they'll still have the active addictions penalty. Still, the reform points are still nice.
christhekiller
level3
level3

Postby christhekiller » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:58 pm

There's also the issue that K9 units abandon their posts when they find someone carrying a drug.

Also, it sometimes gets so bad with these addicts that I've had a few start to starve because they kept getting caught with drugs and would be sitting in a jail cell through meal times
RJenkos
level2
level2

Postby RJenkos » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:21 pm

Stealing chemicals from the cleaning closet is also a plague. Seems like all of them get locked up every day for it.
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:41 pm

Interesting. My treatment and AA programs seem to be working pretty well in my med/high risk prison, in terms of keeping the drug/alcohol needs low. Are you guys doing all high risk so your program can't keep up, or something?

I run 3 drug programs a day, and (I think) 4 AA sessions to make sure everybody gets what they need, and I've only had 2 overdoses (1 death) in 60 days running with intake. This is with about 300 prisoners out of about 750 max. I sold a previous prison so this one started with $3M to put all this together.
Murph
level1
level1

Postby Murph » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:00 pm

blipadouzi wrote:The problem is with how Needles are coded. As far as the game is concerned, they are neither metallic nor smelly... so the dogs and detectors can't detect them.

I don't see the problem there. Needles are not something which would be realistically detected by a dog (they are not smelly); and they are a tiny amount of metal, insufficient to set off a metal detector.

The missing functionality here, I think, is the inability to specify that all prisoners leaving a particular room be searched. That's the realistic way of addressing the problem of these types of thefts.

Return to “Community Members”