Allow us to set all rooms like the new kitchen system

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

5hifty
level4
level4

Allow us to set all rooms like the new kitchen system

Postby 5hifty » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:13 pm

Basically the title. I will post some pictures in the morning (just got back from a 21st), but basically we should be able to over ride all the different rooms. This class room serves these cell blocks, this shower serves this cell block, this holding cell serves this cell block (this is how I invision holding cells but this is open to interpretation), this visitor room services this cell block, etc etc.

Instead of the current 'Logistics' tab have a new button with further menus such as 'Education', 'Visitation', 'Hygiene' (?), and 'Recreation' (Yard/Common Room). As well as this add a Row of icons depiction the different staff (or just a 'Staff' icon) to allow us to set room purely for Staff education (or any needs they need to for fill in the future).

I have a prison that is split into 4 wings, 2 either side off a road with each pair sharing a canteen, med bay and a laundry. I would like to be able to keep these pairs of prisms apart as much as possible. By allowing me to set, for example, the yards for each wing separately would do wonders for stopping prisoner wondering around.

As a finaly semi related note, the staff classes in the schedual should be a different colour or something, just to make it easier to distinguish between prisoner/staff programs.

In an unrelated note, I loved the questions Mark asks in the early half of the video. I am a big fan of how he pushes 'but what if I do this' or 'how about if I do it this way' (some of which may not be the best way to do something; but, damnit if I want to do something wrong I should be able ;p). I think it shoulda the core reason why I am one of those people that says 'bla bla bla... Like prison architect, rimworld and kerbal space program do' when referencing alpha games.
steviebuk
level2
level2

Re: Allow us to set all rooms like the new kitchen system

Postby steviebuk » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:16 pm

Agreed. I'm now running into a BIG issue with two infirmaries. I have 8 doctors. They hand out in both until they have a break then the idiots all go back to ONE infirmary. I'm going to have to redesign the prison so its shared. Super annoying because it's also where I hold the solitary cells because everyone normally ends up in them injured. This way, with the infirmary in the same area the doctors automatically heal. Having to do it that way until they implement doctor patrols.
Solpexx
level0

Postby Solpexx » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:53 pm

I also had the same idea of been able to assign cell blocks to showers, yards right when I was watching the video. I don't think it would be a hard thing to implement as the basics are already there, it just needs tweaking for each room type. On a separate note I think that rooms such as classrooms and visitation, in my eyes, are a shared resource among the cell blocks. As always, the way you construct your prison is totally up to you so although a feature I personally wouldn't use for classrooms and visitation I think adding it would hurt anything.
Noobshock
level0

Postby Noobshock » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:14 pm

This would be particularly nice for Laundry... I am able to get multiple laundries to work in different wings with varying security settings, but it takes a lot of trial and error, rebuilding and trying to get the prisoners "going" in this specific laundry room etc. It feels very ghetto atm, even if it's workable if you try until it does.
Trumbettoo
level1
level1

Postby Trumbettoo » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:06 pm

Imo, this one deserves bump as it would be really really nice to setup your cell blocks to follow your design. Link your yard, cc, laundry, maybe even shower to suit your(prisoners) needs.

Same goes for infirmary.
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:28 pm

This system could also be used to expand/manage staff more as well. For example:

Guards are assigned to security rooms, kennels and armouries (hence forth 'security rooms') in the same manner as jobs.
Secuirty rooms are assigned to rooms/areas (like the new kitchen system). Staff from those security rooms will man any platform routes and deployments in those rooms.
Secuirty rooms are assigned a staff room - tired staff from those rooms will rest in the designated staff room.

This could be expanded out to include all rooms in which staff work. This would stop staff wondering half way across the map to use a chair and then miss out on running a class as they work their way back, or at least let you see 'why' they were doing this.

Another up side of this would mean that you would be able to ensure that, say, there is ALWAYS a dog pAtroling a yard, because it was 'supplied' it's dogs by a private kennel with 2 dogs (one rests whole one works). The flip side would be also as appealing - the dogs that move around the cells looking for tunnels might only have half as many dogs as needed because the patrol doesn't need to be run constantly.
PrZe77
level0

Postby PrZe77 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:34 pm

i would like to assign my kitchen to a cell block for food delivery to cells :D
Pegasus2
level1
level1

Postby Pegasus2 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Sounds good.

Also really need food delivery in cells.
GeneralAoc
level0

Postby GeneralAoc » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:22 pm

I just posted basically the same thing before I saw this post, and I really am glad others are thinking the same as I am. I think this would be a great Idea on every front!
Robbedem
level2
level2

Postby Robbedem » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:43 am

I would like to assign my showers to cell blocks, since my prisoners keep walking to the wrong shower...
ray4ever
level1
level1

Postby ray4ever » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:26 pm

I would love to have the logistic system for all other room types as well. Mostly for the reasons already mentioned:
I have a prison that is split into 4 wings, 2 either side off a road with each pair sharing a canteen, med bay and a laundry. I would like to be able to keep these pairs of prisms apart as much as possible. By allowing me to set, for example, the yards for each wing separately would do wonders for stopping prisoner wondering around.

and
I would like to assign my showers to cell blocks, since my prisoners keep walking to the wrong shower...

The prisoners are going outside their "shower time" to the first build shower, but I would like them to go to "their" shower in their own cell, or at least to a shower in the same cell block.

In addition it would be nice to define an area as "only for trespassing if allowed" for your prisoners, meaning that they can go to the workshop if they work there, but not to stroll around in this area and get to an shower they are not supposed to use.
Robbedem
level2
level2

Postby Robbedem » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:59 am

I tried to use door timers to prevent prisoners from going to the wrong shower, but they'l just wait stupidly at a closed door... :(
WiseWoodrow
level2
level2

Postby WiseWoodrow » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:23 am

Considering they added the kitchen system, then later added laundry, I'd say they're trying to do that already.
grimmy72
level1
level1

Postby grimmy72 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:53 pm

I most need this for docters/medbays, as it is now more then one infirmary is useless. Gets annoying having to drag a doctor all over the map to an unconscious prisoner. For some reason guards don't seem to be inclined to take wounded prisoners to the infirmary. Possibly 'cos they get injured attacking said guards ? :)

Hmm... would a staff-room next to each infirmary work?
Aidanya
level0

Postby Aidanya » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:16 am

yup all my prisoners want to shower together.....
even when there is an empty shower nearby.

its making them rather unhappy as there isnt enough time for them all to shower in 1 room.
So far i fixed it by joining the showers with a small corridor.
but that is not always an option.

it be nice to assign a shower for a cell block manually.
Or use the kitchen /laundry AI for showers too i bet that fixes this problem.

Return to “Community Members”