Alpha 26b... *shakes head*

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

bae85
level1
level1

Alpha 26b... *shakes head*

Postby bae85 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:01 pm

So the latest build Alpha 26b... where do I start?

I'm going to be blunt. It's s**t. The game has so many issues now it's getting beyond a joke but I'm sure they're too busy implementing 'new features' that will mess it up some more.

1 - I currently have an issue with hearses. Once a prisoner dies, that is it. I keep getting them repeatedly even when another prisoner dies, I thought it might be a glitch and disappear when there is something to collect but it doesn't. I just now had three all at the same time arrive and nobody had even died! I thought it might have been my save game, but even with a brand new prison this same thing is happening.
2 - Trees for Forestry, why are they delivered individually? I have a line of 6 trucks all in a line each containing one set of trees to be planted!?
3 - Prisoners are not being punished. I have one prisoner who just killed two people and attacked staff and he's been tazed and that's it. Those who dig tunnels are allowed to go back to bed, those who attack other prisoners are pretty much ignored.
4 - Prisoners all using the same toilet at the same time. I have a couple of toilets in my canteen, and I once saw 5(!) prisoners all using it at the same time. Were they having an orgy maybe?
5 - Contraband, why is it every truck load of ingredients and stuff for the kitchens is so full of contraband? I went to my informants screen and quite literally watched them arrive (with my informants telling me what was where - how do they know what's on a truck?!?!) if it contained 8 items at least 5 contained contraband. It's just stupid, contraband does not enter a prison through food deliveries, for a start all deliveries would be checked. If a prison was not checking its deliveries to make sure they are fine (and I mean all items they ordered are present from an administrative point of view as a bare minimum) the person in charge would be fired! ... I think I would change supplier if more than half of my deliveries of foodstuffs were containing shanks, needles and drugs...!
6 - Game speed - Quite simply, it's getting unplayable. If you have 250 prisoners on a large map then it's welcome to the Prison Architect Slideshow. What's the point of having a grant for 500 prisoners if it's horrible at 250!!? I have a 4.6ghz six core processor and I would not expect a game like this to be so poor. And before anybody says about path finding and the cpu intensive stuff behind the scenes I put the following to you... around 1996 to 1997 my computer had a 166mhz cpu, I think a 32mb video card and memory measured in megabytes not gigabytes and it used to play games such as theme hospital (which the makers say is a major influence on this game) and that contained all the same elements, such as pathfinding...
7 - Stupid annoying prisoners, legendary in every sense of the word, volatile, cannot be punished, kills everyone, cannot be tazed and had a 200 year prison sentence for murdering fellow prisoners and guards. This new 'feature' (I use that term very loosely) has ruined the game. Not every prisoner in the world wants to kill everyone, escape or just be a general dick. Believe it or not, some are sitting out their punishment and wouldn't run away even if you left the door open so why must it be so 'hollywood'?
8 - Pathfinding/general ai - why do prisoners during free time who are hanging around in their cell insist on using a toilet - not the one in their cell - but the toilet in the yard on the opposite side of the map even though they are desperate? Why is it when building foundations there is always one piece missing because a workman from the opposite side of the map is responsible for putting the last piece in? Why is it that when performing a shakedown, guards leave their assigned deployment to search somewhere miles away? why do some prisoners travel miles across the map - naked- to a shower at the furthest point? No wonder the game is dog slow with stupid ai like this.
9 - When I click on something, such as a menu, the best example contraband and informants. If i click on one of my informants to make them active it clicks on the person or object underneath and automatically moves the map too. This is hugely annoying and makes me want to chuck the computer across the screen.
10 - Why can't we allocate all staff to a certain location not just the guards? I would quite like to be in control of my staff...
11 - I saw one character with a racist name. How on earth did nobody pick it up?
12 - Laundry - why are dirty clothes always left in doorways?

I'm sure there are other things too, but it's just getting silly. But most importantly the faults make it boring. I've put 180 hours into the game as it stands, and I'm starting to lose interest because of stupidities like these.
faikwansuen
level0

Re: Alpha 26b... *shakes head*

Postby faikwansuen » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:20 pm

It's an ALPHA. Please stop whining so hard.
an otter
level1
level1

Postby an otter » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:23 pm

With #3 are you suggesting that punishment policies aren't working, or that you aren't aware the tab exists?
lugaru
level3
level3

Postby lugaru » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:38 pm

I'm not running into all of these issues, but I do agree that some Legendary prisoners cross over into the realm of the supernatural, like you have Jason Vorhees in your prison. Also I agree about the contraband... I keep a dog patrol at my deliver spot and every delivery has something, which may be required to get contraband into the prison but it seems excessive.

I too am curious about #3... is this on a new game? I've been continuing with a saved game and my punishments are just fine so I'm wondering if there is something wrong with Regimes if you start from scratch.

Oh and #11 might need a ticket. I'm generally against goofy names, so an outright racist one has no place in the game. I would ask you which one it is, but really what needs to be done is to have somebody go over the names again.
Last edited by lugaru on Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:38 pm

bae85 wrote:11 - I saw one character with a racist name. How on earth did nobody pick it up?

Define racism

Right, I'm gonna get a cup of coffee and I'll hear back from you in year or so.
The developers read through all the names and choose whether that name is appropriate or not, if they choose it's appropriate you're gonna have to learn to live with that.
RGeezy911
level5
level5

Postby RGeezy911 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:59 pm

As already mentioned, the product is still in it's Alpha stage of development. Everything in the game will have some sort of an issue during this point. Once every system in the game has been fully implemented, the issues found on the MantisBT will start getting addressed. Once that's taken care of, the game will be polished to completion. Introversion is not new to development, and it's likely they're following an agenda that will lead them to the completion of this game, just like their other games. The bugbash was put in place in an attempt to relieve some of the annoying issues that have been bothering some players.

As a reminder, you purchased a product still in development. If you found an issue with the game, search for it's issue on the MantisBT and support it - or make a new issue report if it doesn't exist already - and the developers will get to it later down the road.

Cheers!
WiseWoodrow
level2
level2

Postby WiseWoodrow » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:20 pm

>disappointed in this alpha version
>"The game has so many issues now it's getting beyond a joke but I'm sure they're too busy implementing 'new features' that will mess it up some more."

>Alpha 26 being a version that doesn't add anything, but just fixes bugs

I find it odd how you don't realize that they're actually focusing alot on these things. Just looking through their alpha videos I've seen a few performance increases, and many bug fixes.
With them actually devoting whole months to fixing bugs, which obviously there are a lot of, if you're going to be this impatient you should of just not bought an alpha game.
I'm not one to use the circlejerk-esque defense of 'it's an alpha let it slide", but seriously. You're whining.

11 - I saw one character with a racist name. How on earth did nobody pick it up?
12 - Laundry - why are dirty clothes always left in doorway

Those two last ones caught my eyes, and are just a bit sad above all else.. A racist name, in a prison, yeah that seems pretty offensive. And lazy prisoners throwing clothes in the doorway?
Dear god, it's a mega-bug!
Rubra
level0

Postby Rubra » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:40 am

A lot of the issues you bring up come down to balance issues or non game breaking bugs. For balance issues, it just comes down to not wasting time to properly balance the game when they are clearly going to add new mechanics that will just unbalance it again. I've no idea what they actually do but I imagine they quickly tweak the balance of things every month to something reasonable and see how it works out.

As for the bugs, theres a bug tracker, non game braking bugs dont always get picked up, but they do get fixed. You could argue new updates shouldn't be introducing bugs into already implemented features, but unfortunately i cant imagine there QA team is very big and these things get through, to be honest _we_ are their QA team.. and we paid them... somethings not right there.. (i kid :p)
bae85
level1
level1

Postby bae85 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:07 am

faikwansuen wrote:It's an ALPHA. Please stop whining so hard.

So if you bought a car with a wheel missing and the salesman said. 'oh it's an Alpha, we might fix it later on' you would be happy with that?

an otter wrote:With #3 are you suggesting that punishment policies aren't working, or that you aren't aware the tab exists?

I've played the game for 180 hours and you're asking me if I'm aware of the punishment policies?!... :roll:

exhibit A: http://i.imgur.com/FYDI0ub.jpg

lugaru wrote:I'm not running into all of these issues, but I do agree that some Legendary prisoners cross over into the realm of the supernatural, like you have Jason Vorhees in your prison. Also I agree about the contraband... I keep a dog patrol at my deliver spot and every delivery has something, which may be required to get contraband into the prison but it seems excessive.

I too am curious about #3... is this on a new game? I've been continuing with a saved game and my punishments are just fine so I'm wondering if there is something wrong with Regimes if you start from scratch.

Oh and #11 might need a ticket. I'm generally against goofy names, so an outright racist one has no place in the game. I would ask you which one it is, but really what needs to be done is to have somebody go over the names again.

Legendary prisoners are a pain in the ass, even just one that's extremely volatile and nothing else. I had one during the bugbash who was extremely volatile and every time he came out of solitary he would kick off again and went through a cycle of being in solitary then infirmary and then back again.

Please see my previous post about punishments, it only started since alpha 26b.

Well some people probably won't find it racist but to have a character called 'Token Blackguy' I find racist. There was another character with a dodgy name but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.

knoest26 wrote:
bae85 wrote:11 - I saw one character with a racist name. How on earth did nobody pick it up?

Define racism

Right, I'm gonna get a cup of coffee and I'll hear back from you in year or so.
The developers read through all the names and choose whether that name is appropriate or not, if they choose it's appropriate you're gonna have to learn to live with that.

That was a quick year ;)

Please see previous post.
Last edited by RGeezy911 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merging posts. Please use the edit button next time.
RGeezy911
level5
level5

Postby RGeezy911 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:49 am

bae85 wrote:So if you bought a car with a wheel missing and the salesman said. 'oh it's an Alpha, we might fix it later on' you would be happy with that?

Bad argument.

Why did you buy the car (game) in the first place? It's been sitting at the dealership for awhile now, and the tire was always missing from the start (in the Steam store for months, advertised as early access), but you understood the risks of purchasing the car and finalized the deal anyways. You knew what kinds of problems you would run into by driving a car without a tire, and the dealer even warned you about it (the trailer video, Chris makes it very clear).

Common sense should tell you to inspect the product before purchasing. You were happy with what you saw, purchased, and you're now unhappy because "you just don't like it anymore." You gonna have to wait for the game to get polished, because there really isn't anything else that can be done. The developers are not machines... as far as I know.
RFC3514
level1
level1

Postby RFC3514 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:08 pm

RGeezy911 wrote:Bad argument.

Why did you buy the car (game) in the first place? It's been sitting at the dealership for awhile now, and the tire was always missing from the start (in the Steam store for months, advertised as early access), but you understood the risks of purchasing the car and finalized the deal anyways.

To be fair, the dealership would have let you do a test drive before buying the car. PA doesn't have a demo (and Steam has a painfully convoluted refund policy).
blipadouzi
level4
level4

Postby blipadouzi » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:55 pm

RFC3514 wrote:
RGeezy911 wrote:Bad argument.

Why did you buy the car (game) in the first place? It's been sitting at the dealership for awhile now, and the tire was always missing from the start (in the Steam store for months, advertised as early access), but you understood the risks of purchasing the car and finalized the deal anyways.

To be fair, the dealership would have let you do a test drive before buying the car. PA doesn't have a demo (and Steam has a painfully convoluted refund policy).

When you test drive a car, you're not testing a demo, but the actual car you're buying. There may have been reason to complain 10 years ago about the lack of demos or play before purchase options (Risk II offered a 60 min free play before purchase). But today with the plethora of Let's Plays and reviews and demos on YouTube, it's pretty pointless.

As for the car reference, a car with a missing wheel is a terrible reference, because as a game goes, PA is fully functional, it's not missing any parts or components. What's missing is fluff and features... a more accurate example would have been buying a car with no radio installed. Or buying a car with full options, but certain fuses are missing therefore disabling some features, then the dealer tells you to come back once a month and he will activate certain features in the car (adding new fuses) as they work out the kinks and bugs in the electrical system.
snarst
level2
level2

Postby snarst » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:54 pm

It's more like buying a car in an assembly line than a dealership.
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:10 pm

Could we conclude that the game is still buggy (because it's an alpha) and drop the very confusing comparison of a car?

I also expected more of the bugbash because in my opinion it didn't fix anything major but that's just something we have to accept and hope the next Alpha will be 'better'
lugaru
level3
level3

Postby lugaru » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:42 pm

That is why I don't push back against bug frustration, yes it is an alpha but the more bugs they squash, the more fun I have playing and therefore play testing. I was hoping the most recent bug bashed would have bashed more bugs, but then again I'm just as easily distracted by fantasizing what will be in the next patch.

Return to “Community Members”