Kitchens in A26 - Is THIS really the best solution?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

rlgjiojgboirtjnb
level2
level2

Kitchens in A26 - Is THIS really the best solution?

Postby rlgjiojgboirtjnb » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:05 pm

Image Image

As the title says, is this really the best solution to the kitchen issues IV can come up with?

There have been so many other ways suggested by people on this forum, steam and reddit, please reconsider this current implementation and provide a new one.

(i.e. give us ways to link canteen/kitchens like with the wires for logic gates, OR give serving tables in a canteen a menu where we can select how many meals we want at what time in this room (similar menu to door timer possible) OR something way better you guys as the awesome developers you are can come up with.

Pretty please!!

PS: This layout isnt optimized for absolute efficiency, its just to show the concept.

Edit: Since it wasnt clear for everyone what i meant (sry abt that), my issue is the food teleport thing they introduced with A26. Food can now teleport from any serving table to any other serving table in the prison if a prisoner wants to eat. This was done to solve the kitchen performance issue (funny enough that at least for me A26 kitchens are LESS performant than A25 kitchens...). I personally dont believe that the current solution is a decent one for the problem and would rather see another solution implemented. Sry again for the confusion.
Last edited by rlgjiojgboirtjnb on Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zvmbi
level0

Re: Kitchens in A26 - Is THIS really the best solution?

Postby zvmbi » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:23 pm

I just realized how to make visitation rooms.
I guess that's why quite a few ran away. lol. Thx.
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:52 pm

rlgjiojgboirtjnb wrote:PS: This layout isnt optimized for absolute efficiency, its just to show the concept.

... I think it failed. I have no idea what concept you're illustrating here.
blipadouzi
level4
level4

Postby blipadouzi » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:56 pm

What exactly are you trying to prove isn't working?
RichieGrape
level4
level4

Postby RichieGrape » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:41 pm

i don't think hes trying to prove that anything isn't working....i think hes just pointing out that he has a canteen attached to the kitchen with serving tables only...making full use of the teleporting food thing

currently yes i think its a good solution..hopefully it will be refined in the future but for now it does help fix current issues...
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:56 pm

It's like this thread is written in code :D

What issues, and how are they being solved here? (I admit I don't play PA as much lately but I'm utterly in the dark about what we're even talking about here).
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:58 pm

To clarify, he's talking about food teleporting now and the ability to take advantage of that

Let's be honest, they had all month to come up with a solution and teleporting food is the best thing they could come up with?

I'm not saying they should have made it work perfectly within this month but what they have done right now is made things weirder than they already were. I understand that it indeed isn't programmable to make each canteen work exactly like the player wants to but the game shouldn't have to calculate that itself, I'd be more than happy to tell the game how much food and metal I want to order and where they should store what amount.
RichieGrape
level4
level4

Postby RichieGrape » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:08 pm

knoest26 wrote:To clarify, he's talking about food teleporting now and the ability to take advantage of that

Let's be honest, they had all month to come up with a solution and teleporting food is the best thing they could come up with?

I'm not saying they should have made it work perfectly within this month but what they have done right now is made things weirder than they already were. I understand that it indeed isn't programmable to make each canteen work exactly like the player wants to but the game shouldn't have to calculate that itself, I'd be more than happy to tell the game how much food and metal I want to order and where they should store what amount.

this brings up and interesting question..what are end game plans...from what i have been seeing we are on the way to total automation so what are we supposed to do build and than just sit there and watch the prison?while this isn't a feature that is going to have any impact on whether or not a continue playing a prison once its fully built but what are we going to do at that point?
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:48 pm

I'd recon the 'end game' would be optimizing your prison (making as much money as possible) and that would involve fine tuning
an otter
level1
level1

Postby an otter » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:52 pm

It was addressed in the other thread, but not everyone wants to micromanage their prison. Some of us don't want to dictate to the cooks exactly how many meals to make, and how many trays to have, and so on. Some of us want to play a prison architect and build a prison and watch it manage itself, watch it fail, and learn from the design failures and build a better one. Ideally the staff, like the prisoners, have their own needs, goals, agendas and failures.

I don't want to manage staff beyond hiring, firing and patrol designation. Even patrol designation I could see automated, but never in a way everyone's happy with so I'm fine with micromanaging in that respect, same with room clearance designation.

Hand-holding isn't for everyone, even if some see it as the solution to the teleporting food balancing.

edit: Of course I'm not suggesting the solution is perfect, but you can't take a min/maxing example like the photo above and say, "Is this how we're supposed to play?" Because the obvious answer is no, but you can. I mean you can also put shower heads in your canteens as well to maximize the other needs during Eat blocks, but it's entirely preference and Introversion isn't designing their game around that decision.
Last edited by an otter on Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:59 pm

I understand that micromanaging isn't considered to be fun by everyone, hence the game should default to it's own estimation. This way the game would try to calculate the amount of trays like it does now but if the player notices problems with it he/she could adjust that.

And although I understand that the 'architect-players' wouldn't want to micromanage things, you already have to for your contraband system and the devs are likely to include more micromanaging situations
rlgjiojgboirtjnb
level2
level2

Postby rlgjiojgboirtjnb » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:47 pm

Sry for the confusion in the first post, i updated it to illustrate my issue.

And regarding micromanagment, its fine that you dont want to it. But it would be even cooler if the game would give us an option. Currently i have to hope that some algorithm i cant see understands my intentions, which esp. in more complex designs it simply doesnt. So instead of designing a prison like i would like, i have to design it around the limitations of some unknown underlying optimization algorithms which dont really work to well (see the number of reported issues regarding kitchens on mantis...).

And if you having to assign cooks to canteens(as an idea) like guards to patrols or prisoners to jobs is too much micromanagement, why arent those things an issue? (i personally hate to manually assign 400 prisoners to work rooms 1 by 1, ruins my mouse!). Or why is linking canteens to kitchens an issue, but having to manually connect every damn door and every door camera to a control station not? The current implementations of all the utility systems are way more micromanagment than any kitchen solution ive read so far.
blipadouzi
level4
level4

Postby blipadouzi » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:22 pm

You know, I don't really have a big problem with the food teleportation system. It's not that different from say having your kitchen in the basement and then sending things up to the canteen via dumbwaiter.
an otter
level1
level1

Postby an otter » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:11 pm

blipadouzi wrote:You know, I don't really have a big problem with the food teleportation system. It's not that different from say having your kitchen in the basement and then sending things up to the canteen via dumbwaiter.

This is exactly it. The food is being transported from one canteen to another where the need is. It's not ideal because it's magic, and I'd love to see cooks or whomever actually cart the food between canteens, but it's a dirty patch to the capacity fluctuations that were causing starvation prior.

That being said, if you know the algorithm mechanic you can exploit it like the min/maxing examples in the first post (note they also have showers and a fleet of TVs as well, which is further min/maxing, yet we're not complaining about how un-realistic that bit is) but I'd wager if you didn't know how the serving stations worked you'd set up your canteens as any normal person would.

rlgjiojgboirtjnb wrote:And if you having to assign cooks to canteens(as an idea) like guards to patrols or prisoners to jobs is too much micromanagement, why arent those things an issue? (i personally hate to manually assign 400 prisoners to work rooms 1 by 1, ruins my mouse!). Or why is linking canteens to kitchens an issue, but having to manually connect every damn door and every door camera to a control station not? The current implementations of all the utility systems are way more micromanagment than any kitchen solution ive read so far.

What you're missing with the kitchen-canteen linking and cook deployment is that canteens don't currently take a running average of expected attendance individually, and they don't know in advance how many inmates they're expected to get, only how many Eat next prison-wide, instead of a by-canteen sub-total. It was fluctuations in canteen attendance and lop-sided kitchen efficiencies that made for lopsided food production across multiple canteens.

So if you have two canteens, and 100 prisoners, and all cooks know to make 100 food for the next shift. They make it as they're able, and cap out at 100, irrespective of which canteen or their or expected individual attendances.

Due to being delayed, one kitchen may've got a head start on production and made 75 meals, and the other because there was a delay in production made 25 meals.

So lunch comes and 50 inmates go to the kitchen that made 75 meals, and 50 go to the kitchen that made 25 meals. One canteen now has too much food, and the other has too little. And I know what you're going to say, if you could assign more cooks to the slower kitchen there'd be balance, but it may've been a momentary delay, and so next shift you may just have the imbalance in reverse. Again, all canteen needs are considered in total, not individual.

This can be resolved by a three sigma rule for each canteen, and having the cooks make only as many meals as that canteen likely needs within 3 sigma, but presently PA doesn't take a running mean of individual canteen attendance, and treats each canteen as all canteens, and each attendances as all attendance, does that make sense?

Teleporting food to keep multiple canteens from messing up the food balance for each isn't perfect, but it's a quick shortcut. Your min/max example doesn't even approach the problem the fix was trying to resolve, in that multiple canteens aren't handled properly, not how efficiently a single canteen is.
an otter
level1
level1

Postby an otter » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:17 pm

God that's wordy, I'm sorry.

Return to “Community Members”