Advice From an Actual Correction Officer

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Chicken_Eggroll
level0

Advice From an Actual Correction Officer

Postby Chicken_Eggroll » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:43 pm

Hello there. I love this game, and I hope my insight will generate some advancements and changes in the game. I work in a 2500 capacity jail. Using the game I tried designing something that an actual prison/jail would look like.

Using my experience, I'd like to offer some insight into possible new dimensions for the game.

Change "Guard" to "Correction Officer." We are Correction Officers. We are not guards. We go through a Corrections Academy to be able to work in the jail/prison. The word "guard" sounds uneducated. The people you see in uniform at your local mall are guards. We are trained professionals. Many CO's will be offended if you call them a guard.

The hub of the entire facility is "Central Control." This is where all doors can be opened, all cameras monitored.
http://i.imgur.com/xBtbnzn.jpg

Inmates do not enter a prison through the front door, nor do they come on a flatbed truck. Nor do they come at 8AM. They come in police cruisers or police transport vans, and they come at all hours. One or two every hour or so, bigger groups on the weekends.
IMAGE - This doesn't happen!
http://i.imgur.com/AQuP3Wv.jpg

The cruiser/police van enters the secure perimeter through double gates. They don't go to a "holding cell," they go to "Classification," where they stay in a room that looks like a gym with multiple bunks organized in rows.
http://i.imgur.com/E1F80xE.jpg

A huge issue I have is the way "solitary" works. First of all, I don't know of any modern prison/jail that still uses the term "solitary." The terms "Administrative Segregation" (I will refer to this as "Seg") or "Special Management Unit" are what is used today. Also, inmates who assault staff or other inmates don't go to Seg for a few hours, they go for 10, 20, or 30 days. They are locked up for 23 hours a day, and get 1 hour of recreation in a "recreation pen" which is just a large cage outside. One inmate per cage, 2-3 inmates at a time. They can choose to have a shower or not. There are multiple wings to Seg. And usually they're all full.
IMAGE (Rec pens at the end of the unit)
http://i.imgur.com/iTwiiOv.jpg

Inmates who are in trouble for disobeying orders or vandalism, pretty much anything excluding assaults, can be locked down to their cells for up to 3 days.

The place where inmates eat is referred to as the "Chowhall," not "Canteen." Where the food is made is referred to as the "Cookhouse," not "Kitchen." As there are inmates who are in Seg or lockdown and can't leave to eat in the chowhall, inmate kitchen workers use meal carts to deliver meals to the Seg units where the inmates eat in their cells, and the trays are collected and brought back.

Cells do not always house just one inmate. In a regular housing unit, there are usually two inmates to a cell, which is why Prison Architect needs to implement bunk beds.

Prisons/Jails are not single story. There are usually at least two tiers, sometimes three, in a unit. Prison Architect needs to implement multiple floors or levels.

In the lower security wings, there are between 8-16 inmates in very large cells. There are no toilets in these cells. These units have group bathrooms/showers.
http://i.imgur.com/lYA9bIt.jpg

These large units usually share the same rec yard to keep same security level inmates together.
http://i.imgur.com/F34WWvP.jpg

We don't have a "Medical" unit, we call it the "Health Services Unit." There are 2-3 large cells with multiple bunks for sick inmates to live for a few days until better. There are also individual cells for those with contagious diseases like lice and scabies. Also inmates on a suicide watch are in individual cells, and are watched 24/7 by a correction officer, called an "eyeball watch."
http://i.imgur.com/91B8x9c.jpg

Prisons/Jails have a Chapel that caters to all religions. Prison Architect should implement a new room, the Chapel, and a new character, the Minister.

My facility has no-contact visits. Inmate on one side of a window, visitor on the other side.
http://i.imgur.com/Qx5puk3.jpg

The housing units surround the "courtyard."
IMAGEs
http://i.imgur.com/zVMTv9e.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/zSStIU3.jpg

-Also, many inmates get medications during "med pass," where a nurse comes down to the unit with a med-cart and passes out meds one inmate at a time.
-Some inmates get insulin 3 times a day by the nurse.
-There are handicapped cells for inmates with disabilities or in wheelchairs.
-All inmates eat with plastic utensils.
-All inmates are subject to a pat-down search after chow.
-All new inmates to the prison are strip-searched.
-All inmates are strip searched after visitation.
-All cells are inspected (not searched, just a brief walk-through) by a correction officer each day.
Inmates try to make their own alcoholic beverage called "homebrew" in the waste bins in their cells using food smuggled from the chowhall.
-Workers earn good-time that takes time off their sentence. However if they get in trouble they lose some of it.
-Gangs are alive in prisons, and care must be made that members from opposite gangs aren't in the same unit.

There are usually 2-3 officers per unit of 80-126 inmates. One control officer who works the control board for that unit, and the others who work the unit, walking around.

When an officer is assaulted, everyone knows because they, or the control officer, will call a code red (or black), and officers from the other units will rush in to help.

I know a sensitive issue is whether or not to implement prison rape. I think it could be tactfully implemented by referring to it as a "PREA Complaint." PREA is the Prison Rape Elimination Act here in the USA. The aggressor is immediately sent to Seg pending an investigation, and the assaulted inmate is sent to a medical cell. Instead of using the word rape in-game, just using the acronym PREA would work well.

Prison Architect should implement another administrative character. "Internal Affairs", or the "Special Investigations Unit" which investigates gang activity in the facility, as well as employee corruption and employees bringing in contraband.

Also, instead of "Warden," an option for "Sheriff" should exist!

That's all I have right now, I'll probably update with more ideas from real prisons/jails at a later date. Please feel free to ask me anything! :)
Last edited by Chicken_Eggroll on Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alpatron
level1
level1

Re: Advice From an Actual Correction Officer

Postby Alpatron » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:21 pm

Nice Ideas

Some thoughts:

The time is accelerated (1 year = 5 days or atleast I think so) so offcourse the sollitary time also has to be accelerated which means your pen time can not be implemented.

All lot of your suggestions are name changes. I know profesionals hate people calling things by wrong names but I think for the comfort of new players they should call things by easily recognizable names. (Chowhall, eyeball watch... isn't that prison lingo, I wonder?)

The bunk beds... well that was suggested a Grahams number times allready (that is so big if you are interested http://goo.gl/3UjZx8) and that is probably on their road plan.

The multiple stories would need a rewrite of the whole game (I assume), as much as you or I would love to see this they just won't happen (I assume)

On the new medical ward I aggree and not aggree. Illnesses 100% aggree. Diabetes would be fun to have. (That sounded so wrong) The cell sugestion not so much.

Suicide watch. Dark but would like to see.

Chapel As long there are no signs of real religions that should be there.

No contact visists. No objections.

These are some of my thoughts. Hope you understand why some of them cannot be implemented.

PS: Do you work in a USA prison? The game is supposed to be modeled after a modern American prioson.
Sorry for any grammar fails I did. English is my 3rd language and I am still learning.
Chibs
level1
level1

Postby Chibs » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:06 pm

I liked most of your suggestion and it was really interesting to read! :D

Im not going to go into detail what I liked and disliked because it would take too long, so yeah...

Good post though! Thanks for sharing :D
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:51 am

It seems that most of your complaints are about either procedures that have been gamified (because, after all, Prison Architect is a game and not a simulation) and the language that is used (which relates to (1) the fact that the developers are British, not American and (2) the intent is to reproduce the vibe of film and other fictional depictions of prisons rather than to model real prisons). I don't see most of your list as being anything that *must* be changed.

Aside from that, "The goggles! They do nothing!" Would you please consider toning down the red in the future?

xander
Munashiimaru
level1
level1

Postby Munashiimaru » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:58 am

I don't think the game needs to be technically correct in every degree (especially since that probably isn't universal). Getting extremely jargony isn't going to make people connect with the game as easy. Some of your suggestions might be good, but I'm about to go to bed and talking on them would require more nuance.
sonic_m
level1
level1

Postby sonic_m » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:31 am

And, if you like these specific prison terms, you could easily create a mod changing all the in-game names of rooms and staff.
Pretty much like this one: British Prison Mod on Steam Workshop
Inge Jones
level2
level2

Postby Inge Jones » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:05 am

I am british and I am pretty sure canteen refers to "buy up" ie stuff the prisoner spends their allowance on. Not sure what we call the actual dining hall here.
blipadouzi
level4
level4

Postby blipadouzi » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:40 am

Inge Jones wrote:I am british and I am pretty sure canteen refers to "buy up" ie stuff the prisoner spends their allowance on. Not sure what we call the actual dining hall here.

Mess hall, dining room, chow hall. I agree that the "canteen" should be the store area where prisoners buy personal supplies.
xPyr0x
level2
level2

Postby xPyr0x » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:36 pm

Yes, that is correct for united states also. Although I don't know what state the original poster is from? Does he work at a jail? what state prison? Is it a federal prison? etc. Some things differ, but largely he is correct about 90% of what he wrote. However if your basing the game off a british prison, I got my hands up, no idea lolz.
spectacularnono18
level2
level2

Postby spectacularnono18 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:22 pm

OP is probably new around here :P
CJH
level2
level2

Postby CJH » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:45 pm

The only thing i like to see is new inmates getting strip searched before they enter prison! Im not gay ... xD
PhaxeNor
level0

Postby PhaxeNor » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:09 pm

As for the "no-contact visitation" it is already in the official object sprite, just need to be added as a working object in the game

There are also a few other objects in the game that can be used for different rooms like Chapel (SteamWorkshop Mod). Some are also used during the "tutorial" phase when you start the game for the first time. There is also a "Minister" in the game, as seen in the intro.

Other than that I like the suggestions but of course this will be up to the devs as they are british and not americans.
Also as the posts before suggested, a mod could be created to satisfy your needs, for some points at least
an otter
level1
level1

Postby an otter » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Oh my god. All I came here for was to bark "bunk beds!" again, but this whole write-up is great. Religious services, special needs (medications, suicide watch) and gang affiliations I thought were oddly missing. And a lot of the in-game terms seem to've been dug out of a movie.

I'm still finding myself with little to do mid-to-late game because I've built everything and the game becomes a regime-management sim after a certain point. Anything that adds more expansion to the building phase, especially when it brings the game more into the realm of reality is great in my book.

Hopefully the devs see your post.

edit: As PhaxeNor mentioned though, some of the elements you wanna already have sprites in the atlas (see his link), so at very least I think we'll eventually see religious services. Library sprites are in there, too, which is something I've wanted to see for a while. Pretty sure gang-life has been on the roadmap for a while, too, which is great.
Chicken_Eggroll
level0

Postby Chicken_Eggroll » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:13 pm

xPyr0x wrote:Yes, that is correct for united states also. Although I don't know what state the original poster is from? Does he work at a jail? what state prison? Is it a federal prison? etc. Some things differ, but largely he is correct about 90% of what he wrote. However if your basing the game off a british prison, I got my hands up, no idea lolz.

I work at a jail in the USA (withholding the actual state). We also have a women's unit which is a completely separate building. However between the two buildings we only have one medical unit, so we have to make sure that in that unit the men and women stay separate, because they will jump at any opportunity to have intercourse. Which is really nasty because a lot of inmates have STDs.

Inge Jones wrote:I am british and I am pretty sure canteen refers to "buy up" ie stuff the prisoner spends their allowance on. Not sure what we call the actual dining hall here.

You are correct. At our facility, "canteen", also referred to as "commissary," is a market that inmates can order special items, provided they have enough money in their accounts. They can buy things like: nice shoes, sweat pants and shirts, canned tuna, protein powder packets, oat meal, fans, peanut butter, jelly, and many more things. I have a big list of commissary items my facility offers.

Chibs wrote:I liked most of your suggestion and it was really interesting to read! :D

Im not going to go into detail what I liked and disliked because it would take too long, so yeah...

Good post though! Thanks for sharing :D

I appreciate the feedback.
JSD
level1
level1

Postby JSD » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:18 pm

I like it. He has good points. People always whining about the fact that it's a game, so it has to be fun/it doesn't need to be exact. If you look at Kerbal Space Program; They managed to kill the whole purpose of the game; Science. That's all what space traveling, space engineering is about. There are also people out there like Chicken_Eggroll, me and probably others that does like that. Prison Lingo is a part of that world. It's a game about prisons! That's one thing that Kerbal did do right. They learned A LOT of kids about the space lingo. Don't always look for the save option: It's easier for beginners.. There are beginners! We all were at almost anything we did in live. They will learn down the road. Like they should.

Return to “Community Members”