[Suggestion] Pick which office staff will use

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

WiseWoodrow
level2
level2

[Suggestion] Pick which office staff will use

Postby WiseWoodrow » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:09 am

This is just a little thing, I've recently started up my second prison, (which I took about an hour in an image editing program making the whole layout in pixel art, before actually going in game, because I'm that kind of person) and I've made my little offices in a somewhat specific cluster, so a few of them (chief, psychiatrist) are accessible to prisoners while the rest are in a staff hallway - I've just noticed, though, that when you plop down someone into an office and hire them, they pick an office at random from all your available offices.

Though a fairly tiny, and pathetic suggestion, I think it'd be nice if they simply attach to the office you put them in, to save the time of removing the other offices so they auto-relocate to the right one.
Feel free to deny this suggestion, I don't know how hard or easy that would be to implement, but if it's something rather simple, whenever you have time :wink:

(First topic, am I doing it right? I posted this in the wrong place the first time, thank goodness for sticky threads.)
RichieGrape
level4
level4

Re: [Suggestion] Pick which office staff will use

Postby RichieGrape » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:03 am

eh i feel you a lil bit on this and i believe it should be part of something much greater that has been brought up a few times...

Room properties/options...a tool that lets you select a room bringing up a lil pop up window or something..that lets you assign
  • programs
  • security restrictions
  • what goods are produced in this room(if any)
  • if staff is allowed (excludes guards)
  • guard "watch" priority (guards with no current jobs will hangout/explore these areas based on priority)
  • Staff assignments/patrols
  • Guard assignments/patrols
  • prisoner assignments/permissions(options for auto...or manual assignment)
  • Room associations (maybe similar to the current logic system(ex...kitchen A makes food for canteen A & B...Kitchen B makes food for only Canteen C)

i'm sure there are other things that could be added but this is what i came up with off the top of my head
Inge Jones
level2
level2

Postby Inge Jones » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:24 am

What works for me is I can build and furnish the prison in advance, including the offices, but I don't actually place down all the room definitions. Then as I hire each member of staff that will need an office, I lay down the room definition of the office I want that character to occupy, and as its the only spare office available at that time, he moves into it.
Daniel354
level0

Postby Daniel354 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:18 pm

They don't use the office you drop them in?
Strange, it always worked for me. Maybe I'm just lucky.
ouyin2000
level1
level1

Postby ouyin2000 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:01 pm

The staff and offices are joined on a Which Was Zoned First priority. The first staff you buy will go to the office that was zoned first, then second, etc. When I build my office area, I leave it unzoned until I'm ready to actually purchase the staff. Then I zone the Warden first, then Chief, Foreman, Accountant, and I usually have a couple of Psychiatrists in a prisoner-accessible area.
LennyLeak
level2
level2

Postby LennyLeak » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:21 pm

ouyin2000 wrote:The staff and offices are joined on a Which Was Zoned First priority. The first staff you buy will go to the office that was zoned first, then second, etc. When I build my office area, I leave it unzoned until I'm ready to actually purchase the staff. Then I zone the Warden first, then Chief, Foreman, Accountant, and I usually have a couple of Psychiatrists in a prisoner-accessible area.
I do the same thing. It's not big deal but it would be nice if they would go for the office you dropped them in.

Return to “Community Members”