[Suggestion] Ex-Law Enforcement not a "???" trait

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Pingy
level1
level1

[Suggestion] Ex-Law Enforcement not a "???" trait

Postby Pingy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:43 am

TL:DR Version (AKA Executive Summary)

Ex-law enforcement is something any competent security chief would screen for with incoming prisoners and therefore shouldn't be a ??? trait when you have a security chief. Trying to figure out who they are before they die is tedious and detracts from the game. At the very least make it not a ??? trait, but I think a strong case could be made to have them arrive as protected custody already as well since all the other prisoners arrive with the appropriate security rating given to them.

Long Version:

I was having a big problem with ex-law enforcement showing up as ???. My guards weren't reliable enough to reliably bring my informant to the security room on time even when I called him in several hours before new prisoners arrive. Then I only find out I had an ex-LE once he's dead in the canteen or yard.

Some people suggested on the Steam forum a way around that by making all the ??? guys protective custody until I figured out what they were then either kept them or sent them packing. Then I realized Prison Architect turned into a micromanagement simulator and lost all notion of being fun when it came to protecting these guys with invisible targets on their backs.

Where I find the game is fun is making the big decisions, setting policy, and running things from up high, then stepping in during emergencies when the minions can't handle things to put the house in order. Not doing their jobs for them because they're too incompetent to hand out a questionnaire when new prisoners show up. At the very least don't have them as ??? prisoners, and seriously consider having them show up as protected custody. I've got bigger things to worry about than micromanaging individual prisoners, I don't have to hand-sort them into min, med, and max so why should I have to do that with protected custody?

This could be extended to snitches as well since they would obviously have it in their best interest to notify the guards their lives are in danger, but it is conceivable they may not know they're identified as a snitch so I don't think it's as necessary as with the ex-leo.
DanTheMan16
level0

Re: [Suggestion] Ex-Law Enforcement not a "???" trait

Postby DanTheMan16 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:45 pm

That's funny, I was thinking the same thing when I was playing yesterday. Having them show up as PC makes so much sense.
blipadouzi
level4
level4

Postby blipadouzi » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:51 pm

I agree with this 100%
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:18 pm

I was going to post about this as well. I'm fine with the other traits being ???, but ex-law enforcement would be something spelled out plainly on a rap sheet. It is indeed tedious to check your CIs with every new batch of prisoners just to check for this condition. I had one case were it was identified without CI help I believe. It may have been after an attack that they happened to survive.

I agree with ex-law enforcement arriving as protected custody based on my comments above. I do not agree with all unknown traits being in protective custody by default. I think the latter will simply fill up your protected area with potential assassins.
Pingy
level1
level1

Postby Pingy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:56 pm

I want to be clear that I dont want all ??? to show up protected custody. I was just saying that because timing a CI to be active whenever a new batch arrives is sometimes impossible, currently the only reliable way to not have all your ??? ex-leos murdered before theyre identified you have to assign all ??? to pc manually just in case. I dont like it at all either, too inefficient and too much micromanagement and youre juzt putting your legitimate pc guys at risk by possibly sticking a legendary in there.
snarst
level2
level2

Postby snarst » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:06 pm

Ex law enforcement is something that would very likely be passed down the line to the warden even if he was too incompetent to screen people.

Snitches and Former Prison Guards (has anyone else seen this trait? I've only seen it once.) should know damn well that if anyone finds out about their past their lives will be in danger and should go out of their way to tell the warden or physiologist to pass the word on to the warden in order to get out of gen. pop.
spectacularnono18
level2
level2

Postby spectacularnono18 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:28 pm

Agreed
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:36 pm

I've seen prisoners develop the snitch trait even though they are not, and have never been, a confidential informant in the prison. Seems like a bug, but I'm playing with the system some more first to better understanding. I haven't seen anything about former prison guards.
snarst
level2
level2

Postby snarst » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:44 pm

_alphaBeta_ wrote:I've seen prisoners develop the snitch trait even though they are not, and have never been, a confidential informant in the prison. Seems like a bug, but I'm playing with the system some more first to better understanding. I haven't seen anything about former prison guards.

The only time I got a former prison guard was when I was taking min sec prisoners. Took in more than 500 and only got him on my first intake.
czar mohab
level2
level2

Postby czar mohab » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:53 am

_alphaBeta_ wrote:I've seen prisoners develop the snitch trait even though they are not, and have never been, a confidential informant in the prison. Seems like a bug, but I'm playing with the system some more first to better understanding. I haven't seen anything about former prison guards.

Happy "I didn't think it was a thing either but there it is!" day. Also, its his first day in prison.

The Czar
snarst
level2
level2

Postby snarst » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:44 pm

Ex prison guard and snitch, double trouble. :lol: What are his chances I wonder.

Return to “Community Members”