[Suggestion] Multiple security levels for one zone (room)

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Robstar
level0

[Suggestion] Multiple security levels for one zone (room)

Postby Robstar » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:48 am

Hello,

I'm in DIRE need of especially the first of these two suggestions.

Suggestion 1: Make it possible to give a zone (a room) multiple security levels. For example, I want a canteen for max and supermax prisoners, a separate canteen for medium prisoners, and a canteen for low and protective custody. I would in turn separate these security levels by time (making them eat at different moments). The same goes for other places, like the yard and workplace.

Suggestion 2: Cook per security level. Example: I have one big kitchen and around it (directly connected) different canteens. I want the cooks to first prepare food for low security, who would start eating an hour earlier, and stop cooking for them once their eating time is almost over. They would then only bring food to other canteens.

I now see cooks bringing in loads of food for one canteen, where dinner time is already over, while the inmates are starving in the other canteen. The least they could do is distribute the food evenly based on the number of serving tables or inmates per canteen.
Ulleulle
level1
level1

Re: [Suggestion] Multiple security levels for one zone (room

Postby Ulleulle » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:08 am

Robstar wrote:Suggestion 1:

This would be this:
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=50505
Already on mantis:
http://bugs.introversion.co.uk/view.php?id=6339
Robstar
level0

Postby Robstar » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:02 pm

Thanks! I did a search one beforehand to make sure this wasn't suggested yet, like a good citizen, but didn't find anything related.

Now I did the search again and it's full of them. Great. :?

Didn't know you could use the bug tracker also for feature requests. Thanks for that tip. That makes this topic less useless.
Robstar
level0

Postby Robstar » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:10 pm

The thing on the Mantis tracker is only about the paint option, though. Not the actual topic.

This one describes issue 1: http://bugs.introversion.co.uk/view.php?id=6206
Stroomschok
level1
level1

Postby Stroomschok » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:59 pm

I like the idea of controlling more than just inmates through the various security levels of the regime. Adjusting patrols and such would be nice too.
Forsaken
level1
level1

Postby Forsaken » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:41 pm

Stroomschok wrote:I like the idea of controlling more than just inmates through the various security levels of the regime. Adjusting patrols and such would be nice too.

I'd honestly pay good money for the ability to restrict my workmen to the main pathways, instead of having to watch them trip over every table in the canteen with a log in their hands.

Then again, the AI could actually take obstables into account when determining the optimal path instead of going with what it thinks is the shortest route :twisted:
xPyr0x
level2
level2

Postby xPyr0x » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:54 pm

Someone actually did this by building their prison area around the canteens, with the kitchen in the middle, and setting the choke points in between as staff only, making it for a 1 way entrance into certain spot for each tier of prisoner. Guy was a good architect, don't remember who's prison it was, maybe Richiegrapes?
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:28 pm

With the introduction of supermax and protected zones, these suggestions are now even more needed. At present, if you want to add a protected cell block and associated common room, shower, canteen etc., you essentially need to segregate the rest of the prison as well to ensure your protected prisoners don't wander into the wrong room. Makes for a lot more real estate and facilities that could easily be solved with a dropdown or other way to multi-designate zones.
Pingy
level1
level1

Postby Pingy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:45 pm

I wanted to make a canteen available to med and high sec only but couldnt do more than 1 so had to make it shared and min sec and pc guys kept going in and getting murdered. I had to make a cattle gate where each lane had its own sec level in order to allow more than one group to pass without allowing them all to. It looked dumb and I resent having to do it.
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:34 pm

Pingy wrote:I had to make a cattle gate where each lane had its own sec level in order to allow more than one group to pass without allowing them all to. It looked dumb and I resent having to do it.

I was also thinking of making multiple airlocks for each security-only level to allow more than one while still excluding others. Was this stable? I was worried if the prisoner pathfinding would be advanced enough to find another canteen in the situation where they couldn't route through the airlocks to a "shared security" canteen.
Pingy
level1
level1

Postby Pingy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:22 am

_alphaBeta_ wrote:
Pingy wrote:I had to make a cattle gate where each lane had its own sec level in order to allow more than one group to pass without allowing them all to. It looked dumb and I resent having to do it.

I was also thinking of making multiple airlocks for each security-only level to allow more than one while still excluding others. Was this stable? I was worried if the prisoner pathfinding would be advanced enough to find another canteen in the situation where they couldn't route through the airlocks to a "shared security" canteen.

If there's a way for them to go around they probably will, but I basically cut my prison in half and the ones I needed to kept to their side and the ones I wanted to cross could because every other path was staff only and the gate was the only way.

Return to “Community Members”