Why do they chose that route?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

TheEisbaer
level1
level1

Why do they chose that route?

Postby TheEisbaer » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:48 pm

Why do the workers use the red route though the green route is shorter?
http://i.imgur.com/bDCm66t.jpg
blipadouzi
level4
level4

Re: Why do they chose that route?

Postby blipadouzi » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:43 pm

It's hard to say without seeing more of the prison... but either the red route is safer (less high risk prisoners) or the yellow route has obstructions that would slow their travel time. From what I've observed using my Fast movement mod, the workers will go out of their way (walk a longer distance) to reach a route that is faster (say because the tiles allow them to run)
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:56 pm

blipadouzi wrote:It's hard to say without seeing more of the prison...

What do you mean? The picture shows all of the prison? If its getting cut off on your screen, right click on the image>View image.

Im going to say because the first door they can access is a Staff door. Either that, or it might be the amount of doors they have to pass thought on the way to the door. The use some stupid routes sometimes. In my experience 'how many doors do I have to open' seems to be how they decided how long a route is.
blipadouzi
level4
level4

Postby blipadouzi » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:58 pm

5hifty wrote:
blipadouzi wrote:What do you mean? The picture shows all of the prison? If its getting cut off on your screen, right click on the image>View image.

Nevermind, I just saw the link to imgur lol... I thought the thumbnail on the forum post was the entire image :S

5hifty wrote:Im going to say because the first door they can access is a Staff door. Either that, or it might be the amount of doors they have to pass thought on the way to the door. The use some stupid routes sometimes. In my experience 'how many doors do I have to open' seems to be how they decided how long a route is.

This is a good hypothesis... the number of doors from what I saw was the same, but there are 2 staff doors & 2 jail doors in the red path while 4 jail doors on the yellow path... so it's only logical that this is the easier path for them. Also what deployments do you have in those 2 areas? If the red path is staff only, they may favour that path for safety reasons.
TheEisbaer
level1
level1

Postby TheEisbaer » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:52 pm

blipadouzi wrote:Also what deployments do you have in those 2 areas? If the red path is staff only, they may favour that path for safety reasons.

Yes it is staff only.

]
5hifty wrote:Im going to say because the first door they can access is a Staff door. Either that, or it might be the amount of doors they have to pass thought on the way to the door. The use some stupid routes sometimes. In my experience 'how many doors do I have to open' seems to be how they decided how long a route is.

It seems it is like you said. I dismantled one large jail door and now they take the shorter path, thanks.
ServerToni
level0

Postby ServerToni » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:22 pm

I'm going to test the door case in my huge prison (which failed because bad wayfinding in my canteen).
This was my thread:
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=49928&p=572159

I let you know if it is working :D
ERML
level0

Postby ERML » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:24 pm

TheEisbaer wrote:
blipadouzi wrote:Also what deployments do you have in those 2 areas? If the red path is staff only, they may favour that path for safety reasons.

Yes it is staff only.

]

It seems it is like you said. I dismantled one large jail door and now they take the shorter path, thanks.

It's because of the jail doors... they need to wait until a guard comes by and open the door...
The prefer the staff doors, because the workman can open that doors self.

I have the same problem. Just make sure that the shortest route has less jail, solitary and/or remote doors than the route they are walking right now.
sebastiannielsen
level2
level2

Postby sebastiannielsen » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:56 am

Also I noticed staff doors also add to the route calculation, so by adding multiple staff doors, you can make some routes via staff doors unfavorable compared to going via jail/solitary/remote doors.

So in the case I wanted some staff to prefer some remote doors instead of going Another route, I just added a couple of staff doors in a row.

For example, in my prison, I have 3 sets of 6 remote doors (total: 18 doors). One separating storage and yard. One separating kitchen and canteen. One separating staffroom and security.

The problem was that the Cooks took the route Kitchen -> Storage -> Yard -> Canteen, instead of using the route Kitchen -> Canteen, because the route to the serving tables was logically shorter from the yard, but longer in time since all the remote doors have pressure plate that opens them without guard request once they go from insecure (kitchen) to secure (canteen) (but going from secure to insecure requires approval from a guard at a door controller).

I simply added 3 staffdoors between Kitchen and storage, thus the Cooks only use these staff doors when they gonna get food fron storage.
In addition, it prevents guards along with newly arrived prisoners, from going via the kitchen to their cells, since 6 remote doors + 3 staff doors, is considered longer than a route of 6 remote doors + some Walking length, thus preventing certain smuggles.
In addition it prevents staff from going from Storage to Inmate area via the kitchen, which adds too much people in the kitchen, instead they go the route via the yard.

Adding a staff door between staff room and storage, and Three solitary doors between Security and Visitation, also prevented staff from taking the route via Staffroom->Security->Visitation when they going back from a break, but in same way, preventing staff from going Storage -> Security -> Visitation (instead of going Storage -> Yard) when staff should go to a prisoner's cell to repair anything.

So the best here if you find staff taking unfavorable routes, add staff doors or regular doors as "speed-bumps" to make other routes favorable, but still keeping the routes via the "speed-bumps" favorable in other circumstances.
MFWIC
level2
level2

Postby MFWIC » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:03 am

I've noticed that the amount of locked doors that your staff and prisoners have to negotiate impacts their routing significantly. They will walk 200 tiles to bypass one locked remote door that going through would create a trip of 50 tiles, even if the doors happen to be locked open.

Return to “Community Members”