Mass escape attempt

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Dybing
level1
level1

Re: Mass escape attempt

Postby Dybing » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:10 am

I had 5 Max-Sec prisoners escape through a big network of escape tunnels that hooked up 8 or 9 cells.For some reason a few prisoners who had a tunnel entrance in their cell did not break out after the alarm was sounded and the tunnel system discovered.

This tunnel did go under a perimeter wall as well, so those are definetly not escape proof. The perimeter is patrolled by dogs, and a few times they've indicated for tunnels. Actually, just two nights prior, I had my guards search the cell block in question when the inmates were sleeping. They did discover two smaller tunnels, but for some reason not the big huge one.

I guess I'll have to up the perimeter dog-patrols and start dismantling toilets for a proper thorough search...
RichieGrape
level4
level4

Postby RichieGrape » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:50 am

Dybing wrote:I had 5 Max-Sec prisoners escape through a big network of escape tunnels that hooked up 8 or 9 cells.For some reason a few prisoners who had a tunnel entrance in their cell did not break out after the alarm was sounded and the tunnel system discovered.

This tunnel did go under a perimeter wall as well, so those are definetly not escape proof. The perimeter is patrolled by dogs, and a few times they've indicated for tunnels. Actually, just two nights prior, I had my guards search the cell block in question when the inmates were sleeping. They did discover two smaller tunnels, but for some reason not the big huge one.

I guess I'll have to up the perimeter dog-patrols and start dismantling toilets for a proper thorough search...
small shakedowns seem to work best...select a bunch of guards...tell them to go to said cellblock and click search cell block...they will search the whole thing pretty fast not giving inmates a chance to put the toilet back in place
sebastiannielsen
level2
level2

Postby sebastiannielsen » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:30 am

I have never had any tunnels in my prison. But since Im keep the prisoners "Freedom" need to zero at all times, they dont want to escape my prison.
Only had one single escape in my prison and that was due to rebuilding a large section of the prison.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =323462791

So that could be Another way of solving the tunnel problem :-) Have gone like 150 Days without any shakedown or search of anyone, and no escape tunnels.
RichieGrape
level4
level4

Postby RichieGrape » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:52 am

sebastiannielsen wrote:I have never had any tunnels in my prison. But since Im keep the prisoners "Freedom" need to zero at all times, they dont want to escape my prison.
Only had one single escape in my prison and that was due to rebuilding a large section of the prison.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =323462791

So that could be Another way of solving the tunnel problem :-) Have gone like 150 Days without any shakedown or search of anyone, and no escape tunnels.

can't see your whole prison but in mine i noticed tunnels only show up if you have a working workshop...since spoons are no longer found in the canteen, prisoners seem to only dig with the improvised pick axe
sebastiannielsen
level2
level2

Postby sebastiannielsen » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:35 am

RichieGrape: That can be the reason too, that the inmates have no Tools. Tought they could dig tunnels once they had the "clever" hidden trait, but would dig slower without Tools. Thats a reason to not give your inmates access to kitchen and no workshop or such things. Im unsure if they can dig with scissors.
RichieGrape
level4
level4

Postby RichieGrape » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:26 pm

sebastiannielsen wrote:RichieGrape: That can be the reason too, that the inmates have no Tools. Tought they could dig tunnels once they had the "clever" hidden trait, but would dig slower without Tools. Thats a reason to not give your inmates access to kitchen and no workshop or such things. Im unsure if they can dig with scissors.

yea not sure about the scissors but i remember chris saying something like they need a tool to dig through a wall or something like that and than will share their tool after they have "broken out" of their cell
Stroomschok
level1
level1

Postby Stroomschok » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:44 pm

Drakexz wrote:The change with the escape Tunnels is kinda stupid.

I have to dismantle the toilet to find the tunnels which takes quite a while, but the prisoners can install / dismantle it within seconds?
The flags are pretty useless, especially with a giant prison like mine and all the fase positives. (giant map, 1200 prisoners)
And i guess guards are blind. Not that i have been in a prison, but how perfect are the prisoners about concealing it?

If you really want to keep it this way, why not add a programm to train the guards so they get a (much) higher chance (maybe 30 - 40%) of finding the hole behind the toilet whitout seeing the prisoner "jump out of it".

If you have a prison with that much inmates, most prisoners will have to dig pretty far before getting anywhere near an exit point. Add some perimeter walls and dog patrols on the weak spots and it'll be very unlikely you'll see successful escapes. Though the dogs give false positives occasionally, it's pretty clear when they DO find a tunnel.

I do agree on programs that would increase the odds of your guards finding escape tunnels. Though I'd like to see this as part of a bigger overhaul, adding a bit of Human Resource management for your staff (with certification programs for searching efficiency, self-defense, equipment etc, day and night shifts, overtime costs, and fighting corruption among your employees).
RichieGrape
level4
level4

Postby RichieGrape » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:49 pm

Stroomschok wrote:If you have a prison with that much inmates, most prisoners will have to dig pretty far before getting anywhere near an exit point. Add some perimeter walls and dog patrols on the weak spots and it'll be very unlikely you'll see successful escapes. Though the dogs give false positives occasionally, it's pretty clear when they DO find a tunnel.

I do agree on programs that would increase the odds of your guards finding escape tunnels. Though I'd like to see this as part of a bigger overhaul, adding a bit of Human Resource management for your staff (with certification programs for searching efficiency, self-defense, equipment etc, day and night shifts, overtime costs, and fighting corruption among your employees).

maybe an "thorough search" option...has a much higher chance of finding contraband/tunnels but causes the search to last 4x as long or something
xPyr0x
level2
level2

Postby xPyr0x » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:01 am

I still find tunnels all the time just using the shakedown button, but I have 3-6 guards per 12 group of inmates usually. So it goes really fast. That and triple walling in your prison helps. (2 outer layers of perimeter, then a space for guard patrols if you want, or line the concrete/brick interior next. So I set it up as wall/wall/interior wall. But you could do wall/wall/space 4 guards/interior wall.

Return to “Community Members”