[suggestion] If adding gangs at all, please research!

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

p0wd3r
level0

[suggestion] If adding gangs at all, please research!

Postby p0wd3r » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:28 pm

I've read very few (probably too few) topics about a possible implementation of a Gang system in PA. My fear is that from what I've read, people don't understand prison gangs on the level that think they do before offering suggestions as to its implementation. I've found an article about the gang culture in US prisons, since gangs are pretty much non-existent in EU prisons, the concepts of gangs may be a bit obfuscated to the Introversion devs. Admittedly, I have not played PA for quite a while, but I do watch every single update video when it comes out, and I absolutely love the game and the idea behind it! So, in that respect, please read on...

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/arc ... ns/379330/

If you have read through the article, you'll notice some references to some books and people that study gangs in prisons in greater detail than would be expected from Introversion. The only concern I have is if there are gangs implemented, I've seen suggestions about turf control, combined escape plans, protection rings, etc... But gangs in prisons don't operate like gangs on the streets, and shouldn't be reflected as some Hollywood pride of the family kind of thing.

With the addition of the informant, this is the closest the game has come to any kind of gang activity, however the informant is likely to be attacked by anyone, not just a rival gang. I feel like this is the right step in the right direction, however, programmatically, it may be quite difficult to set a likelihood of any particular individual to join/obey any gang. Sadly, gangs are mostly based on race in real life, so that would have to be considered and non-offensive. Also, a great deal of micromanagement would have to be implemented to ensure that wherever possible, the gangs aren't allowed to gang up on a solo rival.

TL;DR
If a gang system is being considered, it would change the way we manage the prison, or it would just be another stat to read about in the character sheet. I suggest doing it right, or no at all, the latter being a perfectly fine choice as well.
ble210
level1
level1

Re: [suggestion] If adding gangs at all, please research!

Postby ble210 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:45 pm

It would indeed be good to have gangs implemented in PA to resemble those in real life. But prison gangs largely are extensions of street gangs; they deal in drugs, receive funds from street gangs via inmate personal accounts, and yards (and cafeterias) are strictly divided among gangs by turf.

Return to “Community Members”