[suggestion] Proposed Turf System (with numbers!)

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

ble210
level1
level1

[suggestion] Proposed Turf System (with numbers!)

Postby ble210 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:40 am

Like everyone else, I have my own proposal for gang implementation. But I am only going to provide an idea for the initial implementation that can be expanded upon later. The focus of my idea is on turf control.

Before getting there, I need to discuss the mechanics underlying this initial gang implementation. I think gangs should be measured by a “strength” value, and turf should be measured by a (drumroll) “value” value.

For gang strength, each member would provide a point value, as would each weapon owned by a gang member. For the purposes of this post, I’ll say that each member provides 10 points to the gang’s strength value, and each weapon provides 5 points.

For turf value I think certain objects should be worth a certain number of points (and perhaps individual squares as well). For the purposes here, I am going to use a hypothetical yard that has five weight benches and two (as of yet unimplemented) basketball courts. Each weight bench I am going to give a value of 20, and the basketball courts each a value of 50. The 5 weight benches are on the west end of our hypothetical yard and the 2 basketball courts on its east.

The idea is that a gang will seek to control a turf that is equal to its strength value. Let’s say in our hypothetical that we have two gangs, “The Snakes” and “The Spiders.” The Snakes have 20 members, giving them 200 strength points. The Spiders have 10 members and 100 strength points. The Snakes have claimed ownership of the 5 weight benches (the 5 benches are worth 200 points (5x20)). The Spiders have claimed ownership to the two basketball courts (together worth 100 points (2x50)). Things are in balance, and the two gangs are at peace.

But let’s say each member of the Snakes is able to acquire a weapon. Now their gang has a total of 300 strength points (200 for the members, 100 for the weapons). They now have the strength to control both the weight benches and the basketball courts, and they will attack the Spiders in an attempt to drive them away and takeover their turf. The Spiders in this scenario will almost surely lose this fight, and be forced (after taking losses) to find a new place to call “home.”

Obviously this is just a beginning for gang implementation, and can be expanded on. But the ideas in this post will allow for a rudimentary gang system, with fluctuating powers between the gangs and fights as certain gangs rise and others fall. And it will add a new level of management, as the player will now have to watch out for certain gangs gaining too much power (either through increased membership or contraband) and causing gang battles to erupt. It will at the very least add a dynamic that prevents a prison from becoming too well run and perfectly safe, as is often the case as the game stands now.
Last edited by ble210 on Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
spectacularnono18
level2
level2

Re: [suggestion] My proposal for rudimentary gang system

Postby spectacularnono18 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:14 am

stahp plz
ble210
level1
level1

Re: [suggestion] My proposal for rudimentary gang system

Postby ble210 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:22 am

never!