Why do you guys want execution so much?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

spectacularnono18
level2
level2

Why do you guys want execution so much?

Postby spectacularnono18 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:16 am

seriously is it really that entertaining to watch a prisoner die in a chair? And then what? Wait for him to get taken to a hearse and done. And I bet it wouldnt really happen that often. Nothing else to see there.

You guys would probably get tired of the feature after a few days... Pherhaps I'm not seeing something you guys are? Please explain to me.
whathopercy
level1
level1

Re: Why do you guys want execution so much?

Postby whathopercy » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:25 pm

It's just kind of annoying with no purpose right now. It might as well have a function.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:02 pm

whathopercy wrote:It's just kind of annoying with no purpose right now. It might as well have a function.

It does have a function right now. It represents the end of the tutorial / scenario level.

xander
whathopercy
level1
level1

Postby whathopercy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:17 pm

xander wrote:
whathopercy wrote:It's just kind of annoying with no purpose right now. It might as well have a function.

It does have a function right now. It represents the end of the tutorial / scenario level.

xander

In-game, I mean. After the tutorial.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:24 pm

whathopercy wrote:In-game, I mean. After the tutorial.

While I suspect that IV will eventually add death row inmates to the sandbox, it is also possible that this will never happen and that the chair will never have a use outside of campaigns and scenarios.

xander
Suthek
level1
level1

Postby Suthek » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:30 pm

We could mod in new functions for the chair in the future, like 'Gives the inmate super powers.' :D
lunaticneko
level2
level2

Postby lunaticneko » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:20 am

Because death row and execution are also functions of a prison.

It's supposed to be not entertaining. We should be pushed or coerced by the State to build such facility. We should be pushed to research for a more humane execution method. We should hear individual confessions from a prisoner. There should be innocents who get executed. ("I know you didn't do it son, but the ..." -- "I know, sir. Don't worry, I'm go... *sob* good." -- "You're a good boy. God will judge.")

Maybe, even death rows full of politicians from a failed rebel, waiting to be liberated by enemy state.

Because this is Introversion, and I expect depth from their games.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:23 am

lunaticneko wrote:Because this is Introversion, and I expect depth from their games.

QFT.

xander
Sperber
level1
level1

Postby Sperber » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:47 pm

This thread is almost one moth old (hey, at least I used the search funtion!) but with the arrival of legendary reputations, I kinda think it is worth talking about executions again. I see a lot of people, here and in the steam community crying out loud for the ability to execute their legen- wait for it - dary prisoners. I understand that! They can be a pain in the a**. I myself had to abandon one prison because I just found now way of handling two prisoners who were killing my guards left and right and refused to die even when shot by three armed guards. So, yes. I know exactly how that feels like.

But I still don't get the bloodlust. Take a look at what lunaticneko wrote:

lunaticneko wrote:Because death row and execution are also functions of a prison.

It's supposed to be not entertaining. We should be pushed or coerced by the State to build such facility. We should be pushed to research for a more humane execution method. We should hear individual confessions from a prisoner. There should be innocents who get executed. ("I know you didn't do it son, but the ..." -- "I know, sir. Don't worry, I'm go... *sob* good." -- "You're a good boy. God will judge.")

Maybe, even death rows full of politicians from a failed rebel, waiting to be liberated by enemy state.

Because this is Introversion, and I expect depth from their games.

I agree! 100%.This is something I want to play. I want to get deathrow inmates and I want to build an appropriate wing in my prisons with death row cells, an execution chamber, a final meal and last rites performed by a priest. It adds a new level of depth to the game.

What i do not want to play is being judge and executioner at the same time. I firmly believe that I am the warden (and architect) of a prison and as such it is not my decision! I shouldn't decide who deserves the death penalty and who doesn't. Just like it is not my decision how many years a prisoner has to serve for his crimes. The game does that for me and I have to deal with what the game gives me.

Now, if one of my legendary prisoner goes on his 5th rampage and kills another 3 guards, taking his body count up to 15 and his sentence to 250 years: Yes. a guy like this should get the death penalty. Just like the game automatically increases his sentence, it should also automatically sentence him to be put on death row. It should do this wih an algorithm, outside of my control, representing that at some point the prisoner went to court and a judge/jury decided that he has gone too far.
SummerShorts
level0

Postby SummerShorts » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:31 am

I love this idea of warden himself is serving. You exists at the call of the justice system and your goal is to punish people. Your choice is ultimately restricted just like the prisoners you incarcerate as you spend your days in a 4x4 office. The idea of everyone serves someone and the control of society is much more stark in this game.

I'm excited for the story options they come up with in the final release. Maybe an armed guard uses excessive force and ends up in the jail as a random event. The game could get even darker and have prisoner suicide incorporated into the story. Maybe your guards become corrupted and start providing drugs. Maybe every so often someone escapes by helicopter and you have to decide if you want your armed guards to open fire. Maybe you can lobby the government to keep drug laws in place so on average you get more less violent offenders instead of a few really terrible people. Maybe tazers are occasionally kill and an inquiry into your prison is called.

Ultimately, I think things like execution should be in the game for the sake of flavor. But, this isn't Grand Theft Auto. Like the prisoners, there are real repercussions for what you do.

Return to “Community Members”