Modding (Quickstart) Guide

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Suthek
level1
level1

Modding (Quickstart) Guide

Postby Suthek » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:27 pm

The Modding Quickstart Guide (formerly "Suthek's (hopefully) Useful Prison Architect Modding Compendium, or 'The Warden's Grimoire'") can now be found in the Dev Wiki under http://devwiki.introversion.co.uk/pa/index.php/Modding_Quickstart_Guide.

It was created to hopefully create a bit more clarity and insight into the new modding architecture.
The main body is still under construction, but all additions/corrections/fixes to the already existing text are welcome and encouraged.
Last edited by Suthek on Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xander
level5
level5

Re: Suthek's (hopefully) Useful Modding Compendium

Postby xander » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:19 am

This would be a fantastic thing to copy-paste to the wiki. I would do it, but others have been raked over the coals for trying to disseminate the work of others without express written permission in triplicate, so I would ask that you create the page. Perhaps call it the "Modding Quickstart Guide" (similar to the already existing (but in need of major work) Quickstart Guide)?

xander
Suthek
level1
level1

Postby Suthek » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:22 pm

xander wrote:This would be a fantastic thing to copy-paste to the wiki. I would do it, but others have been raked over the coals for trying to disseminate the work of others without express written permission in triplicate, so I would ask that you create the page. Perhaps call it the "Modding Quickstart Guide" (similar to the already existing (but in need of major work) Quickstart Guide)?

xander

Done just that. This is my first contribution ever to any Wiki, so I was still a bit unfamiliar with the coding and stuff, and it took me all of today to convert it, so the rest will come tomorrow. :) In the meantime, I did add in at any point when I was unsure about what I wrote there, so people who know more than me can feel free to correct and add to it.
Citizen
level2
level2

Postby Citizen » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:48 pm

Good work.
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:12 am

Here are some of your unsure remarks answered:
4.1 Need

Code: Select all

Use: causes a prisoner to use an object
Consume: will cause a prisoner to 'consume' an item (the item will disappear after the action)
GrabThrownContraband: cause a prisoner to retrieve an item that was thrown into the prison
ReformProgram: forces a prisoner to enroll into a reform program (Like an addiction gets a prisoner into the AA program)

Involuntary: a prisoner doesn't have control over the need

4.2 Provider

Regime: set a regime in which the provider can happen, (GetMeal provider is only possible in the regime 'Eat')
RequiresNight: This provider can only take place between 10 pm and 8 am (Night)

5.1 ProductionRule

NotLoaded: Object will only be moved if it isn't already loaded onto an object

6.1 Program

Academic: Only for clever prisoners (a hidden trait)
Practical: Only for practical prisoners (a hidden trait)
Passive: Suppresses a prisoner

CostPerUse: Set a price for every unit used after the research is unlocked (body armor and tasers)

Teleportable: Toggles whether objects can be teleported between the storage/delivery and the worker
SlowDelivery: sets whether an object must be delivered by truck or whether it can also spawn into the storage/delivery
Processor: sets whether an object is a processor 
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:54 am

Suthek wrote:Done just that. This is my first contribution ever to any Wiki, so I was still a bit unfamiliar with the coding and stuff, and it took me all of today to convert it, so the rest will come tomorrow. :) In the meantime, I did add in at any point when I was unsure about what I wrote there, so people who know more than me can feel free to correct and add to it.

Awesome. Thanks much.

xander

EDIT: I made some minor prettifying edits to the "Structure" section. I'll have a whack at cleaning up the tables a little when I have some more free time (there are some templates that look a little nicer). I may also rejigger things a bit to take them out of the first person. Once again, thank you for the contribution---it is quite nice.
Suthek
level1
level1

Postby Suthek » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:09 am

xander wrote:
Suthek wrote:Done just that. This is my first contribution ever to any Wiki, so I was still a bit unfamiliar with the coding and stuff, and it took me all of today to convert it, so the rest will come tomorrow. :) In the meantime, I did add in at any point when I was unsure about what I wrote there, so people who know more than me can feel free to correct and add to it.

Awesome. Thanks much.

xander

EDIT: I made some minor prettifying edits to the "Structure" section. I'll have a whack at cleaning up the tables a little when I have some more free time (there are some templates that look a little nicer). I may also rejigger things a bit to take them out of the first person. Once again, thank you for the contribution---it is quite nice.

Ya, feel free to wriggle around in it. There are still some thing I need to throw out myself from the re-structuring process. (I think there are still and tags in the text). Also need to finish this up today and/or tomorrow to include the rest of the stuff from the materials.txt, how to work with sprites and tilesets and the scripting processes...
Suthek
level1
level1

Postby Suthek » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:10 pm

knoest26 wrote:Here are some of your unsure remarks answered:
4.1 Need

Use: causes a prisoner to use an object
Consume: will cause a prisoner to 'consume' an item (the item will disappear after the action)
GrabThrownContraband: cause a prisoner to retrieve an item that was thrown into the prison
ReformProgram: forces a prisoner to enroll into a reform program (Like an addiction gets a prisoner into the AA program)

Involuntary: a prisoner doesn't have control over the need

4.2 Provider

Regime: set a regime in which the provider can happen, (GetMeal provider is only possible in the regime 'Eat')
RequiresNight: This provider can only take place between 10 pm and 8 am (Night)

5.1 ProductionRule

NotLoaded: Object will only be moved if it isn't already loaded onto an object

6.1 Program

Academic: Only for clever prisoners (a hidden trait)
Practical: Only for practical prisoners (a hidden trait)
Passive: Suppresses a prisoner

CostPerUse: Set a price for every unit used after the research is unlocked (body armor and tasers)

Teleportable: Toggles whether objects can be teleported between the storage/delivery and the worker
SlowDelivery: sets whether an object must be delivered by truck or whether it can also spawn into the storage/delivery
Processor: sets whether an object is a processor 

Use/Consume: Yes, so far I could guess. :-p The major 'Unsure' point with those options is 'Which item?'. If you have a provider, you have defined an object as target for the provider, so 'Use' and 'Consume make sense for it. A Need has no object related to it, so I can't really tell wether or not those options make sense to use. (Afaik the ModSchema simply listed all possible prefab-actions in the spots where they are applicable, but that doesn't necessarily mean that each of those actions is actually properly usable in those spots).

ReformProgram: Same as with Use/Consume. What I'm missing here is not what the option does, but how the specific reform program that is visited is defined (or even wether or not it's just random).

Other than that, I can see those. Adding them in.

Return to “Community Members”