Game needs more unpredictable difficulty spikes +suggestions

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

cat
level1
level1

Game needs more unpredictable difficulty spikes +suggestions

Postby cat » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:45 pm

The game is too easy and predictable right now. Once there is a balance the game lacks unforeseen difficulty spikes. That is when a game becomes boring for me.

I would like to suggest this:

More unexpected and unpredictable difficulty spikes
These can be "boss" prisoners that will attempt to cause chaos no matter what,and there should be 2 types. Those that openly cause it and are easy to spot and those that are hard to trace. if there is only he agressive brawler type that can be easily put in solitary it would leave no difficulty to deal with the problem, but a more stealthy instigator that causes other prisoners to do things would be harder to track and more challenging to get rid of.

Generally far more frequent problems that occur no matter how well the prison is run
This could be controlled by a difficulty setting, I would like to have to constantly put out fires (not just real fires) instead of just flattening the needs bars and waiting for something unexpected to happen.

Malfunctioning of equipment
Randomly failing doors, doors that unlock or get stuck closed

Dog malfunctions
Dogs going feral and attacking anyone insight, this could be a dog that goes from peaceful to feral instantly or just randomly shows some hostile behaviour

Mass murderer prisoners
Serial killer prisoners that attack others when no one is looking, would offer murder mysteries to solve for players, imagine 3 janitor prisoners being in a closet, 2 go out and 3rd is dead. Who murdered him?

Diseases
Random diseases that would go from harmless to deadly, also could allow for disease control emergency units, and if we want to go crazy, why not a zombie virus? Even smaller diseases would allow for more gameplay because players would have to manage them (APOTHECARY! buying medicine!)

Misbehaving guards /murder guards
similar to the serial killers, some guards would cause minor or serious abuse to prisoners that the player can take advantage of or fight.

Contract killer prisoners
Short term prisoners that got into prison with the secret mission to murder another prisoner. Player could get info on it by using informants and then piece together info on who the guy is, with possibilty to frame the wrong person by accident, causing bad consequences.

The base argument is that the game should offer more unpredictable things that can not be prevented by fixing the needs. I would like to have a difficulty setting where I start each day with "how the hell am I going to keep this place from falling apart for the next 24 hours?"
Dott
level0

Re: Game needs more unpredictable difficulty spikes +suggest

Postby Dott » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:33 am

I like most of these ideas. Corruption among guards particularly Perhaps prisoners could pay bribes to guards or staff for contraband or favors. Currently if I setup a prison with high freedom with max sec prisoners I don't even need to worry about real security. Just because needs are satisfied doesn't mean the prisoners forgot their background. Perhaps prisoners with a lower estimated re offending rate causes less random trouble. Max sec causes more then med, and med more then min.
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:13 am

I shall ask the more active members for input.
AbandonedWolf
level1
level1

Postby AbandonedWolf » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:32 am

Same as above, I like some of the ideas you brought up. Would be cool if there was other feedback
Zaney
level1
level1

Postby Zaney » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:57 pm

I agree, Prison architect is one of those games I've hoped someone would make, and it holds so much potential. Thankfully the game is still in development and I hope the game will become more challenging in the future.

I would also like more special prisoners, one I had in mind was one kind of prisoner who would be more likely to make escape attempts, not based on his unfulfilled needs, but based on his own motivation, like he is in for life and miss his family, he has a huge amount of money hidden from a previous heist or he is facing execution. It would also help is prisoners in general had more ways of escaping.

Malfunctioning equipment? Sure, most simulation games has this, for example Theme Hospital and Roller Coaster Tycoon.
I think it would be great if a power generator could fail once in a while or the water pump went haywire and started to pump excessive amount of out in the pipes.

Maybe even add more disasters, after +100 of hours of playing PA, I've never had a fire in my prison except that one that where I forced my prisoners to riot (which was harder than I thought)
new disasters could be tornadoes or earthquakes.
nikki katz
level0

Postby nikki katz » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:25 pm

I think an increase in the difficulty is one of the major things required prior to release. I've not been playing for long, my prison's rubbish at reformation and has a bit of a drug problem, but there haven't been any issues with the prisoners at all since the metal detectors were installed, even with the high risk wing. An occasional full prison search gets rid of anything else and the prisoners don't seem to mind too much. The only way to make it more challenging at the moment is to turn on continuous intake.
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:16 am

I believe the difficulty is the fact that this is a game, not a simulation. So the question would lie on how this could be put in without having the game become to, "Difficult".

Return to “Community Members”