{SUGGESTION} Multiplayer and Battle Mode

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

CNaro
level0

{SUGGESTION} Multiplayer and Battle Mode

Postby CNaro » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:26 am

The one thing with Prison Architect is loneliness. So that's why I propose to add a multiplayer and battle mode.

The multiplayer mode is quite simple: host a server, invite your friends, and together you can build your prison. You can claim segments of the prison, but you can only claim so much before you run out of claim spaces. There would be a in-game chat for easy communication. If you want more people on your server, you can turn your server from private to public.

The battle mode is a bit more complicated. It is a realtime environment where all players need to be online to play. You first challenge an opponent (Up to 4 players per battle), then when all players are ready, the map is divided into segments, one for each player. You can send prisoners to your opponents, which costs money, but is well worth it, as that is the only way your opponent is going to lose. Also, there will be an option to toggle being able to see your opponents's prisons. When a player's prison approaches a disaster, such as a riot and fire, the player is out of the round and may spectate, with the ability to see other player's GUI by simply clicking on a player's prison. Last player standing wins the battle and earns Battle Credits, which can be used to get perks for other battles, such as being able to blind an opponent so they can't see your prison, or making an opponent not being able to build for a period of time, or even disarming all guards in a prison.

The possibilities are endless, but you get the basic point. Prison Architect would be awesome with these new modes, and develop an even bigger community. So Introversion, I'll be waiting.
Last edited by RGeezy911 on Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to the Developer forum.
tertaim
level3
level3

Re: {SUGGESTION} Multiplayer and Battle Mode

Postby tertaim » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:07 am

NOPE
Suthek
level1
level1

Postby Suthek » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:30 pm

I could see some Multiplayer potential, but if it were to happen, it'd be at the very bottom of the list.

The battle mode, as described, seems stupid though.
Possible modes I could see viable were, yes, a cooperative/competetive mode, where every player gets his own prison. (Transport Tycoon Deluxe was very fun in multiplayer). The problem is that you need something you can compete with though. (In TTD, you work on the same map and with the same (limited) resources, thus creating competitors).
What I could see, in a way, is that you get continuous prisoner intake, and there's a certain amount of prisoners every week or so, which is allocated to the prisons according to their performance in the last week. E.g. with 2 players, you get 70 prisoners at the beginning of the week, but player 1 had a big riot in the prior week, so he only gets 20 of the 70 prisoners, on one side reducing his potentially available income for the next week, but on the other side not having to have to accomodate and manage as many prisoners as the other player...for now.

Another problem would be how the players would interact with each other. It'd be rather pointless if it were just 2 separate prisons with no interaction, and the better player wins (mostly because, even with the losing conditions, it's rather hard to actually lose, so matches could run on indefinetly).

Possible ideas would be ability-like stuff each costing a certain amount of money to use.
- Smuggling or throwing some extra contraband into the prison via wall or supply truck.
- Changing the risk level of some of the prisoners of the next batch. (e.g. if you messed up this week and you know that the other player will receive a large portion of the prisoners, you could pay some money to change them to high-risk prisoners, which he may not be pepared for).
- Smuggling in a "sleeper" prisoner into the other player's prison with the next batch. This prisoner has been handsomely paid off by you to incite riots, lay fires, spread contraband and/or reveal CIs, when you need it. You need to order him to do it though, and such orders he can only receive via phone, or visits from his 'family'. Now, the other player needs to find out that he has such a prisoner in his prison, identify him (which should be possible somehow, e.g. inconsistencies in the people that visit him and the family data in his file, or somehow conspicuous behavior) and deal with him specifically somehow.

The other big mode this could work with (and which I could see much more likely than the other) is connected to the new a22/23 'Play as a prisoner' thing they introduced, where people can meet up on a server, load a prison, and then be transported into said prison as prisoners. Their job is...well, be a prisoner. What they want to do I suppose depends from person to person. Maybe some just want to try out living as prisoners, or want to try to escape from this prison. (I could see a sort of challenge from there, with people building prisons and other (groups of) people trying to escape from them).
This mode could work with or without an actual 'Prison Architect', if you so will. Without him, it'd just be the static prison loaded from a file, with the players being prisoners in it.
If you pick the mode with a PA, he would have the basic control of Prison Architect as it is now, whilst the other players control their prisoners. Now, here the thing is that the architect doesn't actually know which of the prisoners are players and which aren't. (Could do something like public (and private) servers, where the PA just builds his prison, and players can join in live, to be transported to the prison in the next-ish batch of prisoners. The PA might then just get a notification, that soon one or more 'special prisoners' will be brought into the facility.)
Maybe then the players could then try to do stuff to let the PA think that other prisoners are players, so he will try to pay more attention to them, leaving them a bit more breathing space to exact their plan (whatever that plan may be).

I see these things viable, and potentially quite fun, but as said, if something like that ever were to come to be, it'd probably be at the very bottom of the devs' list.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:56 pm

Every time someone suggests multiplayer, Zeus kills a kitten. Do you really want that on your hands?

xander
Suthek
level1
level1

Postby Suthek » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:31 pm

Eh, if it's just Zeus, we can find a hero to get them all back from the underworld. :lol:
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:14 am

Suthek wrote:Eh, if it's just Zeus, we can find a hero to get them all back from the underworld. :lol:

Orpheus is retired, Theseus couldn't pull it off if he tried, and Hermes is too smart to play that game again. No one else stands a chance. Them kittens is gone forever. And, knowing Zeus, they probably didn't die well.

xander
Suthek
level1
level1

Postby Suthek » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:30 am

Zeus is overrated. Hirez nerfed him good a while back. ;-)

Either way though, you can't deny that at least the 'play a prisoner in your own prison' aspect they added in the last alphas does invite for an interesting concept for one or multiple player-controlled inmates, if built upon. I would be rather excited to try and make a prison and have other people try to escape from it, or try to escape from other prisons myself; either from the workshop, or as a "live" variation, with the architect of the prison still actively working on it and controlling guards and lockdowns and such.

*throws a kitty up into the air as if for clay target shooting*
HUGO_B_31
level0

Postby HUGO_B_31 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:59 pm

Suthek wrote:The other big mode this could work with (and which I could see much more likely than the other) is connected to the new a22/23 'Play as a prisoner' thing they introduced, where people can meet up on a server, load a prison, and then be transported into said prison as prisoners. Their job is...well, be a prisoner. What they want to do I suppose depends from person to person. Maybe some just want to try out living as prisoners, or want to try to escape from this prison. (I could see a sort of challenge from there, with people building prisons and other (groups of) people trying to escape from them).
This mode could work with or without an actual 'Prison Architect', if you so will. Without him, it'd just be the static prison loaded from a file, with the players being prisoners in it.
If you pick the mode with a PA, he would have the basic control of Prison Architect as it is now, whilst the other players control their prisoners. Now, here the thing is that the architect doesn't actually know which of the prisoners are players and which aren't. (Could do something like public (and private) servers, where the PA just builds his prison, and players can join in live, to be transported to the prison in the next-ish batch of prisoners. The PA might then just get a notification, that soon one or more 'special prisoners' will be brought into the facility.)
Maybe then the players could then try to do stuff to let the PA think that other prisoners are players, so he will try to pay more attention to them, leaving them a bit more breathing space to exact their plan (whatever that plan may be).

I agree this is an amazing idea!!! hope they do this.
HookerHeels
level1
level1

Postby HookerHeels » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:30 pm

Sigh.
Suthek
level1
level1

Postby Suthek » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:10 pm

HookerHeels wrote:Sigh.

How...insightful?

Edited in to avoid spamming:

lunaticneko wrote:Why [exaggeration]everyone has to suggest all games[/exaggeration] to become multiplayer, and all multiplayer games to become PvP?!

Seriously, this is why I don't want to play ESO, DayZ, etc.

Because we humans are, at the heart, very social beings, and doing stuff together most often (not always) beats doing it alone. At the same time, we also all have a certain competitive edge, enjoying to measure up with others, or against them. Naturally, not every game is suitable for multiplayer at all, and not every game is suitable for PvE or PvP elements.

From here on follows personal opinion, and maybe goes into a little of broad theorycrafting of the matter in itself, without the necessary connection to PA (I just like to write about this stuff. :-p), so take it as you like:

Why players are so fixated on PvP elements, as opposed to cooperative PvE, is generally because the former providers a greater challenge. Creating a good PvE experience is challenging, especially when connected with multiplayer. The PvE of the majority of MMOs nowadays, for example is, while designed to be addicting, in the end simply bland. Even though they're pretty good at painting over it to try to cover it up, the paint won't stick forever, and more and more players notice it. It's the reason why so many MMOs nowadays go F2P, in order to attract more players initially, because they keep losing players. Even the Leviathan of MMO, WoW, is now in a consistent and continuous decline, though they still have a good fat-layer of players to live on for a while.
Meanwhile, games like DayZ, or Star Wars Galaxies back in the day, are in constant uprising because of the natural PvP elements, that make every experience a unique experience, because the entities (players) that create that experience are always different. In my opinion, game concepts like SWG or DayZ, where the world itself is shaped by the community, is the true future of MMOs.

Also, PvP does not necessary mean combat (not saying you implied it, but the term is nowadays generally connoted with it). You can have lots of things that imply a 'fair' and 'friendly' PvP things, especially in games that include/provide an economic factor. (See above example: Transport Tycoon Deluxe)

As for PA in specific:

At the moment, I neither endorse nor condemn the possibility of multiplayer aspects within this game. What I wrote in my prior post, as an answer to the OP, was merely an assessment of what I personally could see to be viable, if it ever came to the point where the devs would begin to consider the possibilty. I'm sure, at the moment they have many tasks at hand that are way more important, most prominently actually finishing the implementation of their vision as it stands currently.
Last edited by Suthek on Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lunaticneko
level2
level2

Postby lunaticneko » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:36 pm

Why [exaggeration]everyone has to suggest all games[/exaggeration] to become multiplayer, and all multiplayer games to become PvP?!

Seriously, this is why I don't want to play ESO, DayZ, etc.
mazetar
level2
level2

Postby mazetar » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:35 pm

The game's architecture does not support multiplayer, and will not support it either.
This is by design, and such a change will not be plausible at this stage of development :)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:10 pm

Won't someone PLEASE think of the KITTENS!?

xander
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:29 pm

xander wrote:Won't someone PLEASE think of the KITTENS!?

Kill the kittens!!!

Seriously though, why do people want Prison Architect to become multiplayer? The only useful thing I could imagine is that you could transfer prisoners to somebody else's prison if your prison is under construction but that would only be realistic if you would have a city with it a crime rate so you would actually be forced to take in prisoners and that would just ruin the game
tertaim
level3
level3

Postby tertaim » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:00 am

the only thing i can think of is an "architect" and a "prisoner", prisoner has to escape the architect. sorry kitties!

Return to “Community Members”