Make prisoners more violent.

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

SpaceVelociraptor
level1
level1

Re: Make prisoners more violent.

Postby SpaceVelociraptor » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:32 am

One thing that I think made the game WAY easier was when they added the danger bar all the way back in alpha 10. Basically, every prisoner has a boiling point and if the overall mood of the prison goes to that point, they will react. This ignores the fact that you could have a prison full of perfectly happy people and one person who can never fulfill his needs. That person will just kinda sit there and take it though, because everyone else is still happy. I think prisoner's boiling points need to be a little more fluid. I still think that the idea that the entire inmate population acts as kind of a hive-mind makes sense, as rising tensions would cause people to act out, but I think it should be balanced with the fact that an individual person should be able to fly off the handle regardless of how happy everyone else is.
Blamebot
level0

Postby Blamebot » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:16 pm

After building several prisons, I realized it was much too easy when I built an execution chamber and made it look fabulous just for shits and giggles. It may be a prison architect game, but it's much too easy to keep your prisoners happy. I've started instituting random lockdowns, bang-ups and shakedowns just to see if I can really piss off a prisoner or two.

It hasn't worked.
Pegasus2
level1
level1

Postby Pegasus2 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:18 pm

Just remove their meal times, they soon get pissed.
CJH
level2
level2

Postby CJH » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:16 pm

MAdMaN wrote:He said that murder would involve the prisoner going through another trial.

Yes! I agree with Chris on this. I meen its prisons in the western world. Its not like wardens in US and EU can if they get pissed of by an inmates actions just send him away and execute him.... They should first be sent to a trial. Then if the jury/judge find him guilty and it qualifies for an execution by the electric chair. Then first he should be executed.

Execution chair will just otherwise be used far too much and people will lose interest quick. I think by doing it the proper way it will guaranteed be more rare with executions than let for exemple an angry kid of 14 years killing at will. LOL
Arakash
level0

Postby Arakash » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:10 pm

I think there is a better approach than just making prisoners more volatile.
A better solution is to allow players to be more proactive in managing the situation. by making the max sec and violent prisoners vulnerable to the game mechanics that make prisoners more volatile (current and future mechanics).

Edit: Reworded the opening sentence, it was poorly written(and perhaps still is)

So for example:
higher rates of drug abuse
more involvement in gang violence(if that is ever implemented)
more severe reactions to things like snitches
other mechanics i havent even imagined/read about or thought of.

If they did increase the volatility of prisoners, id like to see it more spread out over the day in more random locations and times than it used to be 3-4 alphas ago.

The problem back then in my 300+ max sec prison was that when the prisoners were more violent they were exclusively violent around shower time.
(I assume this is because of a couple of things:
-Prisoners were more volatile overall
-Shower time is consistently the time with the most unfulfilled needs )
Back then there was little i could do other than add extra gaurds as no amount of needs managing or careful regime planning helped.
In practice this meant i was tasing 5-20 (or perhaps more) prisoners every shower.
I dont have a problem with them causing trouble, but causing trouble at the exact same time of day in the exact same places wasn't good game design imo.
spectacularnono18
level2
level2

Postby spectacularnono18 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:13 pm

I agree
Dutex
level0

Postby Dutex » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:37 pm

Totally agree!

I had this idea: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=49678

Idea was that to keep your prisoners happy and not hacking each other heads off you need to keep them under control with your guards (and CCTV cameras).

But also random events of fights, stabbings and escape attempts would be extremely nice and could add way more immersion that is lacking just now.
CheezBurger35
level1
level1

Postby CheezBurger35 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:00 pm

It's funny, I get this exact same issue where (to put it bluntly) I beat the game. I made a working prison that literally gets no fights unless I intervene and cause them. :lol: I like the idea of gangs, perhaps a small percentage of prisoners group up in certain parts of the prison and hang around each other a lot. Within time, these groups cause small amounts of trouble that slowly builds to more serious events like gang wars, murder and causing riots!
It would certainly make the game a great deal more challenging and could be optional in case newcomers want to take it easy.

Rather than isolating this to High Risk prisoners:
- The Low Risk could just commit crimes like stealing and fighting each other
- The Medium Risk could do the same but build up to causing serious injury and attacking guards
- The High Risk could do all of the above whilst building up to anything from killing to escape attempts
Archibald
level0

Postby Archibald » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:50 pm

I agree.

The high risk prisoners should be sort of maniacal murderers.

And/or add difficulty levels (so if I want havock I can set it in options).
MFWIC
level2
level2

Postby MFWIC » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:23 pm

This would be fun as long as it was implemented correctly. I suggest a slider in the game options to let you control just how psychotic you want your prisoners to be.
Zaney
level1
level1

Postby Zaney » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:46 pm

Prison architect could use something new to keep the "late" game more interesting, because (as people also have mentioned in this thread) it is too easy to get into that perfect ideal loop. Once my prison get in that loop, I feel bored and unchallenged and there is little that threatens to break this ideal loop of harmony. Contraband/drugs has only had little impact on my prisons and I rarely see or feel the consequences they have on prison and prisoners.

So what could be done to make the late game more challenging?

Let alcohol have a bigger impact on your prisoners, if they get drunk then there could be a slight risk of them starting random fights, making crazy escape attempts that any sober prisoner would never think of, or make them destroy their surroundings.

Use stolen tools to escape the prison, like cut a hole in a face and make run for it, this would make me deploy dog patrols around my prison walls. or give them the option to make small escape holes in walls with the right tools.
Then the player should have options to either prevent or stop these kinds of escape attempts, this could be electric fence, watch towers (which already is a much requested feature) or simple assigning patrols to discover any damaged walls/fence. (this could also mean there would have to be some changes to the way the fog of war, so prisoners are free to carry out their actions, this would also make outdoor CCTV more useful.

Use poison to deal with snitches in a quiet manner. (thinking of poisoning a prisoner's meal)

Shakedowns could also use some changes, because I feel I can easily get away with doing shakedown almost daily. make prisoners remember if they have been search unnecessary too many times over a given time period and let them express their discontent with violence or make them start drinking alcohol or do drugs to suppress their feelings.
Another possible thing could be raising their need for privacy if they are searched unnecessarily.

Metal detectors are super useful in their current state. you can have hundreds of prisoners walk through them almost at the same time and anyone caught with metal in the detector will automatically stop and wait for a guard to search them, even when there are no nearby guards. My suggestion to balance metal detectors is the following:
if no guards are nearby when a prisoner is caught with metal in the detector he should just keep walking like nothing had happened. But he should stop op if there is a guard nearby.
If a prisoner is caught with metal in the detector but the other nearby guards are distracted/busy with searching other prisoners (this could happen after meal time when all prisoners are leaving the canteen) he should either keep walking or wait to be searched, depending on the prisoners personality traits.

In return the player can place a new object, a security checkpoint where all prisoners are required to line up and wait to be processed before they can leave. These security checkpoints are much more efficient than their counter part, the metal detector, but the downside is, it will take much more time to get all prisoners through the checkpoint and while the prisoners are waiting in line, they are unable to attend to their needs. This means the security checkpoint is not ideal if it is placed at an busy exit (like the canteen), but it could be useful in other places such as the prisons entrance or at the visitation room.

I guess that's all I can think of at the moment :)
I hope to see prison architect continue to develop like it always has :)
CJH
level2
level2

Postby CJH » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:09 pm

Archibald wrote:I agree.

Yes but not only that! I would like to see gangs also taking over different markets inside the prison for exemple the drugs market, the gambling market, protection etc. So they could have like an informal market under your very nose.
MFWIC
level2
level2

Postby MFWIC » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:12 pm

CJH wrote:
Archibald wrote:I agree.

Yes but not only that! I would like to see gangs also taking over different markets inside the prison for exemple the drugs market, the gambling market, protection etc. So they could have like an informal market under your very nose.

I've actually been trying to do some direct research on this, unfortunately I have only received only the one response out of 150 prisons I have contacted so far.
I uploaded the scans of the letter here.
http://bugs.introversion.co.uk/view.php?id=5573
Stroomschok
level1
level1

Postby Stroomschok » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:43 am

In real prisons a lot of the violence comes from rival gangs. I feel this is something the game is still missing. Prisoners should also work more together towards escaping (personal cell toilets should not be the only way to escape)
blackfalcon
level1
level1

Postby blackfalcon » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:03 am

Thanks for the responses guys. I hope the developers read that and realize that currently the game is way to boring.

Return to “Community Members”