Alpha 23 crashing on save (memory leak?)

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

torcar
level0
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:52 pm

Alpha 23 crashing on save (memory leak?)

Postby torcar » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:16 pm

Hi

I have a 350 prisoner game at the moment and after updating to Alpha 23 the game crashes when trying to save.

If I load the savefile and play only for a few minutes I can save the game again. But if I play for a little while before saving (10 mins) the game crashes before being able to write the savefile.
When checking the taskmanager I see that the game is using about 800mb of ram when running, but as soon as I press the save button it increases to close to 2gb quick and crashes.

No problems on alpha 22.

The debug file is just saying:
Saving map to 'C:\Users\XXXXXX\AppData\Local/Introversion/Prison Architect/saves/17.prison'...

...Then nothing.

The file is not written to disk.

Looks like a bad memory leak?
User avatar
MAdMaN
level4
level4
Posts: 899
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:12 pm
Location: Manchester, England

Re: Alpha 23 crashing on save (memory leak?)

Postby MAdMaN » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:56 pm

Does the same thing happen with a new map created in Alpha 23?
torcar
level0
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: Alpha 23 crashing on save (memory leak?)

Postby torcar » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:49 am

I'll try to check... but it takes a while to make a large enough prison.
It seems to only happen after a while of gameplay on a large prison.

If the windows process stays under 1,8 - 2,0 GB's of RAM when saving... it saves ok. But if it reaches those limits before writing the file, the game just crashes to desktop without error message or any more information in the debug file.

If anyone have a savefile with a large prison created in Alpha-23 I would gladly download it and test it.
Tiii
level1
level1
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:29 pm

Re: Alpha 23 crashing on save (memory leak?)

Postby Tiii » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:32 pm

I'm having the same problem with saving but I can't save my "old" A-22 prisons at all!
They are lost I think. I can't save manually and I can't save with autosave... A new map opened in A-23 is saveable without any problems..

Edit: And I am not able to sell my A-22 Prison! So I have to start a complete new map...
Aklyon
level0
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:15 pm

Re: Alpha 23 crashing on save (memory leak?)

Postby Aklyon » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:03 pm

torcar wrote:I'll try to check... but it takes a while to make a large enough prison.
It seems to only happen after a while of gameplay on a large prison.

If the windows process stays under 1,8 - 2,0 GB's of RAM when saving... it saves ok. But if it reaches those limits before writing the file, the game just crashes to desktop without error message or any more information in the debug file..

If it is a memory leak, then it sounds like its having a problem with being 32-bit as well. I'm not a great programmer though, might be wrong.
Tiii
level1
level1
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:29 pm

Re: Alpha 23 crashing on save (memory leak?)

Postby Tiii » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:26 pm

I found a solution!!
You can manually edit the saved prison with a text editor!!
You should change on top of the file the Version from "A-22" to "A-23".

You now loose your complete building queue.
The prison is now saveabale and autosave works too.
User avatar
111none
level4
level4
Posts: 970
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:32 am
Location: Wangjing, Beijing, Peoples Republic of China

Re: Alpha 23 crashing on save (memory leak?)

Postby 111none » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:24 am

Tiii wrote:I found a solution!!
You can manually edit the saved prison with a text editor!!
You should change on top of the file the Version from "A-22" to "A-23".

You now loose your complete building queue.
The prison is now saveabale and autosave works too.



Yeah, IV stated that if anything was compatible in Pa was a coincidence between the alphas.
Kunovega
level1
level1
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:46 am

Re: Alpha 23 crashing on save (memory leak?)

Postby Kunovega » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:21 am

111none wrote:
Tiii wrote:I found a solution!!
You can manually edit the saved prison with a text editor!!
You should change on top of the file the Version from "A-22" to "A-23".

You now loose your complete building queue.
The prison is now saveabale and autosave works too.



Yeah, IV stated that if anything was compatible in Pa was a coincidence between the alphas.


That's why I just scrap all my saves and start fresh with each alpha build

You can always edit in a higher balance if you want to compensate yourself as if your previous prisons had been "sold". But I'd still rather have a fresh new save file because otherwise you won't know if the bugs you encounter are something worthy of reporting; or if its just something left over from your old save file which isn't relevant to the current build.
TomGraphy
level0
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:07 am

Re: Alpha 23 crashing on save (memory leak?)

Postby TomGraphy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:04 pm

I am having this problem with my prison but when i checked my save filed it said version alpha 23d. Anyone have any idea what i can do about it?
User avatar
RichieGrape
level4
level4
Posts: 580
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:44 am
Location: Cleveland, OH USA

Re: Alpha 23 crashing on save (memory leak?)

Postby RichieGrape » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:06 pm

TomGraphy wrote:I am having this problem with my prison but when i checked my save filed it said version alpha 23d. Anyone have any idea what i can do about it?
created a new prison the other day on my machine (vista 32bit) all went well until about day 40 and now my game just crashes anytime i try to save/autosave

yesterday on got on another computer (windows 8 64bit) loading prison i built on first machine still crashed on any save...started new prison and got to about day 28 and now save causes crash...

tried trimming the save file after looking around for a fix to this (trimmed out excess contraband history) and it did improve performance but did not fix crashing on save
mazetar
level2
level2
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:14 am

Re: Alpha 23 crashing on save (memory leak?)

Postby mazetar » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:34 am

If the prison was made in the most recent alpha and crashes upon save, then that's deffinitivly worth looking into. As mentioned it could seem like a memoryleak. Data on that would be usefull.

So @RichieG and others could you please upload blackbox, debug, memdumps and save files for this crash?
Be sure to check the following first though:
1. This occurs on a prison created in A23, not one from earlier versions.
2. Do you see a spike in ram when saving in the size mentioned above? (if so specify)
3. Be sure you didn't have mods effecting the game :)
4. Mention you system specs! (Os, 64/32bit, intel or amd etc).

Return to “Community Members”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest