[suggestion] Log Rack

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

tyler max
level0

[suggestion] Log Rack

Postby tyler max » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:02 pm

I have a problem. My workshop keeps filling up with logs and there is no place for my working prisoners to stand for them to work. the solution that i am thinking for this problem is a rack that all logs are put onto. this rack can store at least 80 logs, and it is the same size as a table. The pros of this it there is no more wood cluttering my workshop (I have seen it filled up to the brim before) and a way to dedicate how much wood to store(extra wood goes to exports). The cons to this upgrade, It is required to start on the wood working side of the workshop
Last edited by tyler max on Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
shadowfire27
level0

Re: [suggestion] Log Rack

Postby shadowfire27 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:25 pm

tyler max wrote:I have a problem. My workshop keeps filling up with logs and there is no place for my working prisoners to stand for them to work. the solution that i am thinking for this problem is a rack that all logs are put onto. this rack can store at least 80 logs, and it is the same size as a table. The pros of this it there is no more wood cluttering my workshop (I have seen it filled up to the brim before) and a way to dedicate how much wood to store(extra wood goes to exports). The cons to this upgrade, It is required to start on the wood working side of the workshop

I'd like the ability to click on multiple items while there all high lighted then you can sell them all at once.
francium
level1
level1

Postby francium » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:20 pm

tyler max wrote:I have a problem. My workshop keeps filling up with logs and there is no place for my working prisoners to stand for them to work. the solution that i am thinking for this problem is a rack that all logs are put onto. this rack can store at least 80 logs, and it is the same size as a table. The pros of this it there is no more wood cluttering my workshop (I have seen it filled up to the brim before) and a way to dedicate how much wood to store(extra wood goes to exports). The cons to this upgrade, It is required to start on the wood working side of the workshop

We have this already, its called a table.
acegamer08
level3
level3

Postby acegamer08 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:23 pm

Last edited by acegamer08 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amitiel
level1
level1

Postby Amitiel » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:18 pm

Not to mention, I had a workshop once get so full with wood over all of the tables, etc. that there wasn't actually any space for sheet metal in it. Would be nice to see this and/or some more auto-economy features, although I imagine both are fairly low priority.
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:15 pm

I actually really like that idea, +1
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:35 pm

My understanding is that under current rules raw materials (either logs or sheet metal) are supposed to be stacked on tables. My I suggest that this behaviour be retained (and fixed if it is not working properly) but that it might be nice to have a couple of additional objects that can be used for storage? I'm thinking something like the currently suggested "Log Rack" which could be used to store logs and "Shelves" and "Reinforced Shelves" for boards and/or sheet metal. The advantage would be that these objects would be capable of storing *more* than could be stacked on a table (seeing as they have been specially designed for a given storage purpose).

For disadvantages, I have a couple of thoughts. The first, most obvious disadvantage would be cost (make them more expensive) as well as the fact that they could only store one type of material (currently, anything can go on a table). I also think that there is potential to combine this with the previously suggested notion of having specific metal shops, wood shops, etc. If such a system were ever implemented, specific storage items could be required for a particular type of shop.

xander
acegamer08
level3
level3

Postby acegamer08 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:01 am

Last edited by acegamer08 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:06 am

acegamer08 wrote:i really want to comment on this...i hope this doesn't turn out to be a mistake....

anyways...to the poster above, you state that it should be "fixed if not working correctly"... that leads me to belive that either you have no workshops, you have some mod/dev version and don't experience this issue yourself, you figured out a way to change the main file and fix the issue, or you (again don't take offence) really don't pay attention to your workshops or you would know (see) the issue with logs everywhere...

my question is which is it?? is there a fix you know of?? or is it one of the other options i mentioned?

Xander is just a forummod and has no direct contact with the developers. Plus he has a kid and probably a job so he doesn't play PA that often
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:08 am

acegamer08 wrote:--==<snip>==--

In all of my prisons, logs are stacked on tables in workshops. It seems to be working as intended. The only problem I have ever seen is if the tables are full, then new logs are brought into the workshop and left on the floor. This is the same behaviour that has existed in the game since alpha 1 (though at that time it was sheet metal that got stacked on the floor rather than logs, since logs didn't exist yet) and (again) it seems to be the intended behaviour. Can you explain where it is going wrong?

On a personal note, could you also please stop with the annoying passive-aggressiveness? For instance, you could use my handle instead of referring to me as "the poster above." Or you could refrain from prefacing your posts with provocative comments such as "i really want to comment on this...i hope this doesn't turn out to be a mistake...."

xander

EDIT: In response to
knoest26 wrote:Plus he has a kid and probably a job so he doesn't play PA that often

Kid, yes. But for the next month and a half, no job! It is so very strange. I am all done teaching at UNR and classes don't start at UCR until October. On the other hand, I am busy packing and otherwise getting ready to move. Joy.
christhekiller
level3
level3

Postby christhekiller » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:39 am

Usually I'll just remove the forestry room if my workshop is starting to get full. It's not ideal, but it's a sort-of fix for your problem. But don't get me wrong, I like the idea and would love to see it in-game
Jailer
level2
level2

Postby Jailer » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:50 am

I would like to have more items per square as well.
There should be a sense to it though -
1 log could easily fill a space (rack, table or nothing).
1 lightbulb does not (realistically) fill the same space.

If objects have an attribute "Stacksize", then different objects can be stacked differently - for example:
Log = 1
Bulb = 100
Food = 50
Toilet = 1
Planks = 25
et cetera.

If additionally a rule is created that - except for building materials - no items are to be stored on the ground, except in the storage areas, then this would increase usage of tables/cupboards, declutter your rooms, and making storage area management more important.
And if (yet again additionally) you can choose which items are stored in which storage area, then we might no longer have our cooks travelling to the other side of the map to get their bacon strips...
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:31 pm

Jailer wrote:If objects have an attribute "Stacksize", then different objects can be stacked differently - for example:

As far as I can tell, all objects have maximum stacksizes (or can be given such) in materials.txt. It should be a very minor tweak to change those sizes and wrap it all into a little mod.

xander
Kal Imist
level1
level1

Postby Kal Imist » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Perhaps instead of splitting up the type of materials stored you could have processed and unprocessed, i.e. in and out. That way you could solve the problem by building a storage room with some unprocessed material storage, so the logs would drift in there and not matter if they were clutter. This would alos allow you to implement a system whereby your workers could bring sheet metal from storage into the 'back' of the workshop, and take beds and plates from the processed counter on the other side to exports. While possibly helping in foot trafic and security, t would also give more of a feel of a workshop (irl it's mosty in through the back, out through the fron)
tyler max
level0

Postby tyler max » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:36 am

shadowfire27 wrote:I'd like the ability to click on multiple items while there all high lighted then you can sell them all at once.

Let me direct your attention to the sell tool

francium wrote:We have this already, its called a table.

Please note the attached picture on the O.P.

Amitiel wrote:Not to mention, I had a workshop once get so full with wood over all of the tables, etc. that there wasn't actually any space for sheet metal in it. Would be nice to see this and/or some more auto-economy features, although I imagine both are fairly low priority.

Thank you for the support...

Return to “Community Members”