Prisoners avoiding toilets

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Snupple
level1
level1

Prisoners avoiding toilets

Postby Snupple » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:03 am

Hi, my max security prisoners refuse to use the toilets in their block and instead want to go to some in the (shared) Classroom.. Any idea why?

Also, anyone know that the random 'dog sniff' marks mean, they stay there longer than the prisoner sniffs and are in areas where prisoners don't go:

RGeezy911
level5
level5

Re: Prisoners avoiding toilets

Postby RGeezy911 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:14 am

Hi Snupple,

On the toilets, maybe they need to be next to the wall? Strange behaviour, as I've never seen that before. Check the Mantis Bug Tracker, maybe another reporter has the same issue with more info.

As for the dog marks, you have the same icon used for sniffing prisoners which goes away quickly, but the ones that don't go away quickly means that a dog recently dug at the ground in that location. It serves as a reminder to the player that the dog was digging there, and may suggest a possible escape tunnel underneath. However, chances of an escape tunnel underground are extremely rare depending on how the prison is being managed.

Cheers!

PS: Moving topic to the Developer boards, as it's a more detailed question / possible bug discussion.
Snupple
level1
level1

Postby Snupple » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:51 pm

RGeezy911 wrote:Hi Snupple,

PS: Moving topic to the Developer boards, as it's a more detailed question / possible bug discussion.

aha, I think this is the bug: http://bugs.introversion.co.uk/view.php?id=4695
Firefitter
level1
level1

Postby Firefitter » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:36 pm

RGeezy911 wrote:
However, chances of an escape tunnel underground are extremely rare depending on how the prison is being managed.

Can you explain that statement a little more?

I have a prison of mixed inmates (low med and max) and I have mostly either no or low danger but I catch people digging tunnels ALL the time. I've had a total of 5 escapes with the danger level as stated above. Also, the max sec don't seem to be the ones digging tunnels. it's the normal and min sec guys.

What am I doing wrong or what could I do better?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:37 pm

Firefitter wrote:Can you explain that statement a little more?

I have a prison of mixed inmates (low med and max) and I have mostly either no or low danger but I catch people digging tunnels ALL the time. I've had a total of 5 escapes with the danger level as stated above. Also, the max sec don't seem to be the ones digging tunnels. it's the normal and min sec guys.

What am I doing wrong or what could I do better?

There are several things that can increase the probability of prisoners digging tunnels. First off, there are one or two hidden traits that will increase the likelihood of prisoners attempting to escape. Higher security prisoners are more likely to have these traits, ergo higher security prisoners are more likely to attempt to tunnel. Second, even if the danger level is low, a high need for freedom will cause some prisoners to attempt to escape. This seems to be determined at the prisoner level, not the prison level, hence if you have an individual prisoner with a high freedom need, that individual prisoner is more likely to attempt tunneling. Third, these things are probabilistic, hence the bigger your prison is and the more prisoners you have, the more likely it is that you will see escape attempt.

In addition to satisfying needs, you can also limit tunneling by installing metal detectors and searching cell blocks more often. The metal detectors will pick up on tools that can be used for digging (spoons, for instance), while occasionally searching the prison will find tunnels and more tools.

xander
RGeezy911
level5
level5

Postby RGeezy911 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:42 pm

I guess I treat my prisoners too damn well! I also run smaller prisons, so that might also be a factor into why I don't frequently see tunnels.
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:55 am

I guess the reason why you don't see your max-sec guys tunneling is related to the toilet problem, since escape tunnels are always dug from a toilet. Place those toilets correctly and the max-sec guys will start to use them, both for their bodily needs and for digging tunnels.
simz04
level1
level1

Postby simz04 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:18 am

I have yet to see a tunnel. Im about to send my resume to some federal prisons lol.
Snupple
level1
level1

Postby Snupple » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:16 am

VoiD88 wrote:I guess the reason why you don't see your max-sec guys tunneling is related to the toilet problem, since escape tunnels are always dug from a toilet. Place those toilets correctly and the max-sec guys will start to use them, both for their bodily needs and for digging tunnels.

OK, still have the problem, have put toilets all over the place and about 10% off my max sec prisoners will go out of the max sec area to do their business. I have even gutted the cells and rebuilt them and no change..

Here is the current design:

Green circle - Prisoner trying to get out of the Max sec block to go to the toilet
Blue circle - The toilet that will be used just outside the block gate
Red circles - Toilets that are not used at all.

I've also tried designating some toilets as Shared
arwan
level2
level2

Postby arwan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:38 pm

can you upload your prison so we can mess with it and see if we can figure it out? or put it on the steam workshop and tell us how it is listed so we can easily find it?
Snupple
level1
level1

Postby Snupple » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:57 am

arwan wrote:can you upload your prison so we can mess with it and see if we can figure it out? or put it on the steam workshop and tell us how it is listed so we can easily find it?

Here we go (i hope) http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =287206946

and a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOaJwua ... e=youtu.be

In the video you can see this issue happen at the following two points:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... asq8w#t=41
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... sq8w#t=283

So the toilets in the shower are used when they are showering, then when they eat they are used in the kitchen, but when the regime changes to freetime @9am and then Work time, through this period you will get maybe 5 or 6 prisoners that walk right past the toilets on the inside of the block to use the one I have put just outside the large prison door.

Return to “Community Members”