[suggestion] dock worker

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

arwan
level2
level2

[suggestion] dock worker

Postby arwan » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:56 pm

so im currently working on a map with an inmate capacity of 670 and am still growing it out. currently i have 50 workers, and has been stated in the past your deliveries area eventually stagnates due to the influx of materials and your workers being all over the place and not getting to the trucks in a timely manner etc. when ever i build a new building my dock stagnates for about 2 full days to catch up.

the suggestion im posing then is that we have dock workers like you would find in a warehouse. these guys primary job would be to unload and load trucks. with a secondary job to move things to storage and exports. So they would work the garbage deliveries, and export and storage rooms. this would free up your workers to build and repair your prison as they please while still keeping your dock running smoothly with dock workers. when there are workers available they would still deliver things to storage and exports, but if they are busy building or repairing your prison the dock workers could fill the hole and move items to those rooms. they could be on the bureaucracy tree as an unlock like gardeners and janitors.
FLHerne
level1
level1

Re: [suggestion] dock worker

Postby FLHerne » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:21 am

I already suggested this, but weeks ago and in the wrong subforum. :P

As that would suggest, I think it's a great idea. :D
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:03 pm

perhaps more suitable if you could assign workers to areas instead of specific staff types
WarpedPerspectiv
level1
level1

Postby WarpedPerspectiv » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:11 pm

knoest26 wrote:perhaps more suitable if you could assign workers to areas instead of specific staff types

I think it'd be best to just have it where staff with jobs that cause them to have to travel all over the prison can be assigned (janitors/gardeners/workers/etc). Which I believe has been suggested before.
christhekiller
level3
level3

Postby christhekiller » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:42 pm

Obligatory reference to my own suggestion involving setting staff to work there
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:16 pm

One of the bugs on the top 10 most supported bugs is the bug that jobs aren't assigned based on distance so perhaps we won't be needing this afterall
Kezarus
level1
level1

Postby Kezarus » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:25 pm

If my workers get the job besides them instead of walking the entire map to dump something else that would be great. = |
arwan
level2
level2

Postby arwan » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:52 am

lets say your prison is large enough to support a forestry that is aout 40X 60 in size. (as mine is) and still runs out of wood even at that size.. what happens then. as in mine with 50 workers is that most of them will go cut down trees and move lumber around instead of tending to the trucks.. then other things start to pile up as well.. such as repairs, trash, moving things to exports, maybe building stuff if im in the middle of doing that etc. i still can see a use for dock workers even if the AI gets a work over.
jodev
level2
level2

Postby jodev » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:00 am

I agree with the dockworker thing. I created a post about the ingame logistics a while ago, which you can find here. I think that more or less fleshes out what you propose?
chrisjones199
level1
level1

Postby chrisjones199 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:28 pm

We might find the bug fix so that workers prefer closer jobs solves this. If you still find you have problems with workers not tending to the trucks because they are cutting down trees or building fences etc. then it might be because you need more workers, or that you over committed their workload.

Customisable job priorities might help as well - i.e. allowing the player to choose that unloading trucks is more important than cutting trees down would be good. (and I'm sure I've seen that suggested elsewhere countless times).

Chris

Return to “Community Members”