[Suggestion] Staff training / enhancement

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

direvus
level1
level1

[Suggestion] Staff training / enhancement

Postby direvus » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:38 pm

One of the more enjoyable aspects of Theme Hospital was training up your staff to make them more effective.

Now that we have reform programs in PA, I think it would make a lot of sense to have training programs for your staff, not just for the prisoners.

Each staff member could have a numeric score for how well they do their job (randomised when you hire), and sending them on training programs would improve their score. The score could affect the time and/or success rate for the staff to perform their various tasks. A well-trained guard might search prisoners more efficiently. An ace dog patrol might be more likely to accurately sniff out tunnels and drugs. An expert workman would take less time to install a door. And so on.

You might also make the efficiency score affect how fast the staff walk around the prison, or maybe walking speed could be a separate stat (Fitness?) that you increase with a separate program.

It would make sense for the programs to increase in expense and difficulty as the staff improve. You might have Beginner, Intermediate and Expert programs for the various disciplines. Once a staffer achieves Intermediate level, you'd need to put him through an Expert program to get further benefit. The programs could be separate unlocks in the research tree.

It would also make sense for Intermediate/Expert staff to cost more in wages.

Programs for guards would be led by the Security Chief, programs for Workmen/Janitors/Gardeners would be led by the Foreman. Programs for doctors would probably need to be led by an external hire, since the closest thing we have to a medical admin is the Psychologist.

Getting the gameplay balance on this right would take some trial and error, but I think it would make the game a lot more fun to have to pay more attention to managing your staff. It would also help to give the individual staff members a bit more of a distinct personality, since they wouldn't all be functionally identical clones of each other.
Tycoonkoz
level0

Re: [Suggestion] Staff training / enhancement

Postby Tycoonkoz » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:23 pm

You should be able to build a staff enhancement wing. This would have rooms that can be staff only class rooms. Like a self defense class in a boxing room of some sort, which would enable the staff member to be better at hand to hand combat. Maybe an indoor shooting range, to improve accuracy of armed guards.

-Be able to train a Guard as an EMT and be able to halt life threatening injuries to prisoners and other guards.
-Be able to train a Guard how to de-escalate rowdy prisoners.
ect.
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:40 pm

Chris has said that the staff are just supposed to be cogs that keep the prison running.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:51 am

MAdMaN wrote:Chris has said that the staff are just supposed to be cogs that keep the prison running.

Has Chris ever said that? I know that *I* have said that and I would love it if Chris had made a similar statement (thus providing me with +1 vindication), but I am not sure that it has ever happened.

xander
Bubbie
level0

Postby Bubbie » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:34 am

I agree with the idea of training up staff. By training the staff they would do their work faster. It would also make you think twice about juggling staff so freely. If you have put effort into training up an employee you will want to keep them.
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:35 am

xander wrote:
MAdMaN wrote:Chris has said that the staff are just supposed to be cogs that keep the prison running.

Has Chris ever said that? I know that *I* have said that and I would love it if Chris had made a similar statement (thus providing me with +1 vindication), but I am not sure that it has ever happened.

xander

It was in one of the forum or alpha video posts.
Currie
level1
level1

Postby Currie » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:12 am

direvus wrote:It would also help to give the individual staff members a bit more of a distinct personality, since they wouldn't all be functionally identical clones of each other.

I absolutely agree with this. The prison staff is just so boring at the moment. I really don't like the way they're all just clones.

But I'm against the idea of sending them to training programmes the same way prisoners go to reform programmes. It just seems like it would be too much to manage. However, staff upgrades could be performed through the bureaucracy screen.

Staff should also become slightly more effective with seniority. For example, the guards who have been around since the prison opened should be more effective than younger, newly recruited "fresh from the academy" prison guards.

I also think staff should work 8-hr shifts instead of 24-hr shifts, and be paid per hour and not per day. But that's a subject for another thread.
Kezarus
level1
level1

Postby Kezarus » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:10 pm

Staff should be a little more interesting. I don't think training is the best path. I thought about the following features:

- Staff should be delivered by truck (bus?) when hired
- Staff could have flaws (smugler, sadic, lazy, etc)

What do you think?
direvus
level1
level1

Postby direvus » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:46 am

Currie wrote:Staff should also become slightly more effective with seniority. For example, the guards who have been around since the prison opened should be more effective than younger, newly recruited "fresh from the academy" prison guards.

I like it. This feature alone would provide a nice gameplay disincentive to the "hire and fire" workmen approach.

I know you said you don't like the staff training idea, but your seniority thing would actually work quite well in combination with training. The player can choose to invest the time, space and money in training staff with programs for a big boost in effectiveness, or they can just retain the staff and wait for the slow gains from seniority.

I would also expect that the gains from seniority would taper off after a while, and eventually reach a cap where the only way to get further improvement from the staff member is to train them.

Currie wrote:I also think staff should work 8-hr shifts instead of 24-hr shifts, and be paid per hour and not per day. But that's a subject for another thread.

I think the staffroom/tiredness mechanic works well enough. Not sure what 8-hour shifts would do to improve on that.
direvus
level1
level1

Postby direvus » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:36 am

Kezarus wrote: - Staff should be delivered by truck (bus?) when hired

I could go for that, but it wouldn't be a big deal for me either way.

Kezarus wrote: - Staff could have flaws (smugler, sadic, lazy, etc)

Yes please! If a prison guard has a negative attribute, you'd have to make the interesting choice between firing him (and losing any training/seniority you've invested) and keeping him around (and suffering the consequences of his flaw).

I think this would be great if you only found out about the staff's flaws and virtues after they've been in your prison a while. Maybe you'd have to get the Psychologist to unlock Staff Counselling in Beaurocracy.

Return to “Community Members”