What's the point of MinSec prisoners?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

metalfoo
level0

What's the point of MinSec prisoners?

Postby metalfoo » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:47 pm

Hello,

maybe it's just beyond me, but what's the point of MinSec prisoners? I see no reason to let them into my prison. They are not substantially easier in treatment than MedSec prisoners, and have the same requirements, you need the same expensive cells and so on. That said, you get virtually no funds from the state for them either. So, why should you ever let MinSec prisoners into your prison? What's the point of them? I can see how MedSec prisoners need different treatment to MaxSec prisoners, but beyond that there is no reason, or is there?
perryliu97
level2
level2

Re: What's the point of MinSec prisoners?

Postby perryliu97 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:26 pm

When I've got 5 spare cells and 30 prisoners coming in, rather than closing intake and waiting for the next day, I send 30 min sec guys in and hope they leave quickly.
asmo0
level2
level2

Postby asmo0 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:45 pm

It's not really balanced at the moment, but I reckon that is fine for being alpha.
From an efficiency point of view, in the current state of the game, I'd say there's no reason to play with medium either. The current level of prison aggression / mechanics makes incidents near impossible once you've figured out the basics of the game, there is simply zero difference in what is required to handle a min sec and max sec prisoner. It's simply just a greater challenge to allow medium and minimum security prisoners, due to the reduced funding and shorter sentence duration.
metalfoo
level0

Postby metalfoo » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:18 pm

I agree generally, but you do may need to bootstrap your prison with MedSec prisoners before you can focus on MaxSec prisoners. I, at least, struggle with MaxSec prisoners before I unlocked Regime, and deployed guards and patrols.

That being said, I guess MinSec prisoners could be more useful if you could share cells for more than one person.
DarkOdino
level1
level1

Postby DarkOdino » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:18 pm

metalfoo wrote:I agree generally, but you do may need to bootstrap your prison with MedSec prisoners before you can focus on MaxSec prisoners. I, at least, struggle with MaxSec prisoners before I unlocked Regime, and deployed guards and patrols.

That being said, I guess MinSec prisoners could be more useful if you could share cells for more than one person.

You can, with holding cells... Just add tons of beds and toilets, a bench (to satisfy the holding cell's requirements), and you can have 30 or 50 min sec prisoners in 1 room guarded by 2-3 officers.
RichieGrape
level4
level4

Postby RichieGrape » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:36 am

only use i see for min sec currently is if your trying to make a prison with continuous intake...helps keep your population low since they get released so fast...

-also in my prison i use min sec for prisoners about to be released...(gets them out of my cellblock and frees up a cell)

-i use max security for gen pop (when i have free cells i just assign a few of my med in holding and they get sent to Gen pop)

-med security for new arrivals (sends new arrivals straight to holding regardless if open cells are available...this also lets them "cooldown", meet basic needs, and be searched before meeting the rest of my pop)

(cellblock is zoned max...holding is zoned as shared).here is my most recent prison using this strategy

Return to “Community Members”