[question/suggestion] Can prisoners detect fog of war?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

ThePirateKing
level1
level1

[question/suggestion] Can prisoners detect fog of war?

Postby ThePirateKing » Tue May 27, 2014 10:30 am

As in, is their behavior altered when there are no guards in the immediate vicinity? I haven't really observed anything that would indicate as such, like having a guard resume a patrol only to find out objects were destroyed and prisoners were injured / dead.

I think it'd make things more interesting if they were more likely to get into fights, steal things, and destroy objects if they knew they weren't being watched. So you'd have these unsolved acts of destruction, theft and violence to contend with unless you made sure you had visibility everywhere. It'd mean a sharper penalty for not maintaining visibility, and it would be as simple as lowering the "boiling point" for any prisoners in fog of war.

Unless it already works that way and I'm just an idiot; that is possible but like I said, I haven't seen it.
RGeezy911
level5
level5

Re: [question/suggestion] Can prisoners detect fog of war?

Postby RGeezy911 » Tue May 27, 2014 10:57 am

I'm not sure, but if I remember correctly, guards that are present within a "Sector" (as shown in the deployment view when you hover your mouse around) will lower the chances of prisoners going off to fight / misconduct. So, if no guards are present in a sector, prisoners will take the chance to go out of line. However, if a guard is patrolling a sector, and a part of it is covered in the fog, prisoners within the same sector that are under the fog will still be compliant (to a degree) so long as the guard remains patrolling.

Alas, I don't know if this is fully true.
ThePirateKing
level1
level1

Postby ThePirateKing » Tue May 27, 2014 8:24 pm

Seems like the effect should probably be limited to the area the guard can directly "see", so if you have a single guard patrolling a huge cell block or a large open area there might be consequences for that.
Jailer
level2
level2

Postby Jailer » Wed May 28, 2014 11:24 am

But what if prisoners have their back turned and can't see the guard?
Fog of war applies to both sides of course.

*prisoner selling spoons to his fellows....
"What's all this then?" - booms the armed guard behind them...

Let's add a 'lookout' role so that prisoners can do their business without risk...

Come to think of it - let's give all prisoners a "Role" trait:
- Lookout
- Snitch
- Drug Dealer
- Hired gun
- Wallflower
- Instigator
- Peacekeeper
- Weapon dealer
- Gang leader
- Gang member
- blank
and let them act accordingly..

and see what that does to our performance ;-)
RGeezy911
level5
level5

Postby RGeezy911 » Wed May 28, 2014 7:39 pm

There are hidden traits that already exist in the game, and can be found in the biographies.txt file.

The traits are:
  • Violent
  • Fraud
  • RisksLife
  • Destructive
  • Theft
  • Narcotics
  • Lethal
  • Sexual
  • Controlling
  • Vehicular
  • Clever
  • Petty
So far, the Clever trait is used on prisoners who will likely dig escape tunnels. All the other traits have unknown effects. However, the idea of more hidden traits that can pose more challenges to the architect is not a bad idea at all.
ThePirateKing
level1
level1

Postby ThePirateKing » Wed May 28, 2014 8:25 pm

Jailer wrote:But what if prisoners have their back turned and can't see the guard?

Guards have 360 degree vision through walls, so I don't see why prisoners wouldn't as well... it's only fair.

I was thinking it would be interesting to have lockpicks as contraband, and prisoners who could pick locks. It would take a while and they could be easily caught by a guard, but it would also open up a lot of potential security holes...
pati04
level1
level1

Postby pati04 » Wed May 28, 2014 8:53 pm

ThePirateKing wrote:
Jailer wrote:But what if prisoners have their back turned and can't see the guard?

Guards have 360 degree vision through walls, so I don't see why prisoners wouldn't as well... it's only fair.

I was thinking it would be interesting to have lockpicks as contraband, and prisoners who could pick locks. It would take a while and they could be easily caught by a guard, but it would also open up a lot of potential security holes...

Believe or not this exists already!
If prisoners have jail keys and the prison tempature is high they will go for a run!
They will damage the dors(75%,takes as long as a guard would open a door!) and break out!

Return to “Community Members”