[Suggestion] Larger Clone Tool Size

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

ThePirateKing
level1
level1

[Suggestion] Larger Clone Tool Size

Postby ThePirateKing » Tue May 20, 2014 9:45 pm

Currently the clone tool is limited to cloning a 6x6 area, which is about the size of a single cell if that cell is very large. This is extremely useful and greatly accelerates the construction of cell blocks, but what if you could go a step further? What if you could clone an entire cell block? Or a cafeteria or workshop? Hell, what would happen if you could clone an entire section of your prison?

I build all my cell blocks to the same specification (except for one, which I regard as a mistake). I do this so that I can easily keep track of the amount of resources and infrastructure required for one cell-block worth of prisoners, and manage the number of guards, chefs, and cafeterias i need accordingly. I also do this because I know the cell-block layout works fairly well and I see no reason to change it. It has room for entrances on all four sides so I can stack them next to each other if I want to. It would be awesome if I could clone the whole thing because it would save even more time.

I'm also going to make a closely related suggestion; I know the rule is one suggestion per thread, but I don't want to spam the thread listing.

What if you could save a cloned "snippet", such as a cell or cell block, from your prison for later use? What if you could also upload that "snippet" to the steam workshop, where other Architects could use it in their prisons? That way, you could build a prison that was an amalgam of various community designs for individual structures and rooms. You'd have people competing to make "the best possible cell block" or "the most efficient canteen", and then uploading those buildings for other people to use in their prisons. Players who really put a lot of effort into fine-tuning individual rooms in their prison would have a place to show off the fruits of their labors, and players who had difficulty getting certain parts of their prison to run smoothly could look up an efficient version of those systems. I realize that this would likely require quite some effort on IV's part, so I'm curious whether you guys on the forum think it's worth the time investment that would likely take.

I feel that the first part--larger clone tool area--is an absolutely essential upgrade. Maybe you'd have to research it through bureaucracy; I would be fine with that, because it would make expanding my prison so much easier.
xander
level5
level5

Re: [Suggestion] Larger Clone Tool Size

Postby xander » Tue May 20, 2014 11:38 pm

ThePirateKing
level1
level1

Postby ThePirateKing » Tue May 20, 2014 11:59 pm

I did a search for "larger clone" and "bigger clone" and didn't see any titles that were directly relevant, so, oops.

My bad.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed May 21, 2014 12:15 am

When you search, are you having it give you results as individual posts, or as topics? And are you restricting your search to the Prison Architect forums? Are you clicking on the results to read the topics? When I searched "larger clone", six topics were returned. One of those was this topic, and two were obviously irrelevant, but upon reading them, the remaining three contained the idea that the clone tool should be larger.

xander
ThePirateKing
level1
level1

Postby ThePirateKing » Wed May 21, 2014 2:37 am

xander wrote:When you search, are you having it give you results as individual posts, or as topics? And are you restricting your search to the Prison Architect forums? Are you clicking on the results to read the topics? When I searched "larger clone", six topics were returned. One of those was this topic, and two were obviously irrelevant, but upon reading them, the remaining three contained the idea that the clone tool should be larger.

xander

I didn't realize I couldn't post a suggestion that had already been mentioned in individual posts; I thought the rule was that no topics be duplicate. I think i'll use the search at the top of the page from now on, as it seems to give more extensive results... I guess I've been triggerhappy with the suggestions. But I guess you probably see a lot of that from newbies, huh?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed May 21, 2014 2:49 am

ThePirateKing wrote:But I guess you probably see a lot of that from newbies, huh?

You are far from the worst offender, it is clear that you actually want to help, and the search function takes some work to beat into submission. Don't sweat it.

xander

Return to “Community Members”