On the lack of privacy

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

mdloafer
level1
level1

On the lack of privacy

Postby mdloafer » Fri May 09, 2014 2:15 pm

I noticed a couple funny things about prisoners and their behavior last night. I've been trying out this small prison, using a holding cell instead of individual cells, to see how long it will take max-sec inmates to turn to violence if most of their other needs (besides Privacy) are being met. The first day was rough, but after three weeks of relative peace, I've discovered that I can incite them to violence myself, but left on their own they're pretty peaceful.

The holding cell is set up in such a way that you wouldn't be able to see the prison entrance from within the holding cell. And yet, when I set the entrance doors to "locked open" and open the holding cell, several of the inmates suddenly *know* that they have a path to freedom, and they'll make a break for the door ("My prisoner sense is tingling!").

I also tried offering them a method to help themselves: I put a weapon rack in the middle of the prison yard. It sat there for a full day, untouched. Prisoners walk past it several times a day, and no one cared. I should probably also note at this point that no one is suppressed...I don't have dogs or armed guards. Many of their needs are met moderately well, although now that it's so crowded not everyone gets fed at mealtime, and the Privacy need is nearly maxed out. Apparently that's not enough to push these men -- convicted of armed assault, murder, kidnapping, and raping a cake -- to just grab a weapon. I even tried putting the weapon rack in an Armory, thinking maybe it was some peculiarity with the object not being "viable" if it wasn't in the proper room. Still nothing. The only time I could get them to grab the guns was when I opened the doors and triggered the "escape" mode.

Keep in mind, these aren't complaints, I'm aware the game isn't finished and all that. I found it all pretty funny, and thought I'd share some thoughts that weren't just another misplaced bug/suggestion thread.
flesh_god
level1
level1

Re: On the lack of privacy

Postby flesh_god » Fri May 09, 2014 4:12 pm

That is why it is an available game in alpha :)

To try some weird things :) and you made me smile :)
Tarô11
level2
level2

Postby Tarô11 » Fri May 09, 2014 4:15 pm

Yes the privacy need actually doesn't have much impact, if any.
mdloafer
level1
level1

Postby mdloafer » Fri May 09, 2014 4:26 pm

Apparently, as long as the doors are closed, these guys are the most polite, considerate inmates you'd ever want to meet.

"I say, someone has left this weapon rack unattended!"
"Are you sure those are firearms, old chap?"
"Why, yes, quite certain, old bean! I recognize them from those dreadful video games my young nephew enjoys so much."
"We'd better go report this! Also, I fear that we may be late for tea-time!"
"Quite right!"
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri May 09, 2014 4:53 pm

mdloafer wrote:Apparently, as long as the doors are closed, these guys are the most polite, considerate inmates you'd ever want to meet.

"I say, someone has left this weapon rack unattended!"
"Are you sure those are firearms, old chap?"
"Why, yes, quite certain, old bean! I recognize them from those dreadful video games my young nephew enjoys so much."
"We'd better go report this! Also, I fear that we may be late for tea-time!"
"Quite right!"

It should be noted that the contraband system in the game works with rooms, not objects. A weapons rack is not a source of weapons---the armoury is. Any prisoner that enter the armoury has a chance (probably a pretty good one) of picking up a weapon, just by being in the room. Hence it is perfectly okay to place a weapons rack in the middle of a holding cell.

If you want to justify this, even if the idiot designer puts a weapons rack where prisoners have easy access, the guards are smart enough not to put any actual weapons on that rack. ;)

xander
mdloafer
level1
level1

Postby mdloafer » Fri May 09, 2014 5:52 pm

That's why I found it funny that no one bothered to go in the Armory, even with the door locked open and no guards in that area. Just too cautious, these prisoners. They would walk right past the open door, no reaction. But if I create an "escape path" for them, they will make a beeline for the Armory first, like they just realized that they could use those guns.

(edited for clarification)
DarknessEyes
level2
level2

Postby DarknessEyes » Fri May 09, 2014 6:26 pm

A weapon rack in center of yard... hmmm... someone wanna frame me...
mcglone
level1
level1

Postby mcglone » Fri May 09, 2014 7:10 pm

mdloafer wrote:I also tried offering them a method to help themselves: I put a weapon rack in the middle of the prison yard. .

On one of my saves, i put a room with 2 locked open doors either side leading to freedom and inside the room were around 7 armed guards with the weapons free mode on... funnily enough one-by-one everyone decided they wanted try to escape through there and completely ignored the dead bodies of their predecessors ahaha
snarst
level2
level2

Postby snarst » Sat May 10, 2014 1:58 am

Wait are these real guns in the yard? If I what if I were to.....wait why would someone leave these here?

Return to “Community Members”