[suggestion] auto security regime transfer for prisoners

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Robbedem
level2
level2

[suggestion] auto security regime transfer for prisoners

Postby Robbedem » Wed May 07, 2014 6:09 am

Some min sec prisoners are more prone to bad behaviour than some max security prisoners.
I would like a system that allows automatic regime changes.
f.e:
- when a max security prisoner hasn't done anything wrong for 10 days, he gets transferred to medium security.
- or when the remaining prison time drops below 10 years -> medium security, < 5 years -> minimum security.
- when a minimum security prisoner gets caught stealing tools for the third time, he gets transferred to medium security.

You can do this already in the game, but it requires a lot of work. ;)
Tarô11
level2
level2

Re: [suggestion] auto security regime transfer for prisoners

Postby Tarô11 » Wed May 07, 2014 7:23 am

I'm against this. The level of security is defined by the crimes comitted before the prisoner goes to jail, not by his actions / attitude inside the jail.

But moreover, it could cause big issues if you have prisons with defined areas by security level. Imagine you have 100 cells for Min sec prisoners, all full, and 20 of your 200 normal sec are downgraded to min sec... Where would they go, holding cell ? And about areas restricted to a security level in general, if a med sec becomes a low or high sec when he is in a med sec only area, what would happen ? He maybe couldn't be able to move anymore. In my opinion it adds more pain to manage than anything else.
flesh_god
level1
level1

Postby flesh_god » Wed May 07, 2014 11:56 am

I'm against it too, for the automatic feature. I know it is Prison Architect, so you are an architect, but you also act as a director a director of the prison, so You have to manage the files of your prisoners and I guess decide with an evaluation if they could downgrade in security. But still can't be automatic.
Robbedem
level2
level2

Postby Robbedem » Thu May 08, 2014 11:26 am

But it would only be a possible automation of something that you could do already.

What about this:
a list of prisoners with stats like time in max sec, med sec and min sec, misconducts, education, time left to serve,...
This way, when you have spare room in min sec, you can easily select the best behaving med sec prisoner to transfer him to min sec. This wouldn't be automatic, but at least make the process easy to do.
Tarô11
level2
level2

Postby Tarô11 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:48 am

If you decide to downgrade someone or not, I have nothing against it. If the downgrade / upgrade is done automatically and can't be disabled, I'm against it. I don't want to have prisoners changing level of securities in my game. The prisoners have hidden traits as violent and clever, that correspond to their commited crimes, that correspond to their security level. I don't want something that messes this up.
Renaissance0321
level0

Postby Renaissance0321 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:56 pm

Tarô11 wrote:I'm against this. The level of security is defined by the crimes comitted before the prisoner goes to jail, not by his actions / attitude inside the jail.

But moreover, it could cause big issues if you have prisons with defined areas by security level. Imagine you have 100 cells for Min sec prisoners, all full, and 20 of your 200 normal sec are downgraded to min sec... Where would they go, holding cell ? And about areas restricted to a security level in general, if a med sec becomes a low or high sec when he is in a med sec only area, what would happen ? He maybe couldn't be able to move anymore. In my opinion it adds more pain to manage than anything else.

WRONG and completely opposite. Most inmates are classified by their behavior inside prison NOT by the crimes committed outside.
DarknessEyes
level2
level2

Postby DarknessEyes » Fri May 09, 2014 12:01 am

Renaissance0321 wrote:
Tarô11 wrote:WRONG and completely opposite. Most inmates are classified by their behavior inside prison NOT by the crimes committed outside.

Click on inmate and at top right corner you can change the security level.

I disagree with the automatic idea, i only want high security inmates because they pay good.
Samuelskinner
level0

Postby Samuelskinner » Fri May 09, 2014 1:49 am

No
This shouldn't be done, because you get differing amounts of money for different types of prisoners. If they automatically moved through those "ranks" it could screw with your economy.
Tarô11
level2
level2

Postby Tarô11 » Fri May 09, 2014 7:04 am

DarknessEyes wrote:
Renaissance0321 wrote:
Tarô11 wrote:WRONG and completely opposite. Most inmates are classified by their behavior inside prison NOT by the crimes committed outside.

Sorry but YOU are totally wrong... Once in prison they can be put in solitary if needed but the security level is already defined at their arrival at the prison. It has nothing to do with their behavior IN prison.

I know it's not always reliable, but here is an extract of Wikipedia about this:

Inmate security classifications

Generally, when an inmate arrives at a prison, they go through a security classification screening and risk assessment that determines where they will be placed within the prison system. Classifications are assigned by assessing the prisoner's personal history and criminal record, and through subjective determinations made by intake personnel (which include mental health workers, counselors, prison unit managers, and others). This process will have a major impact on the prisoner's experience, determining their security level, educational and work programs, mental health status (e.g. will they be placed in a mental health unit), and many other factors. This sorting of prisoners is one of the fundamental techniques through which the prison administration maintains control over the inmate population, and creates an orderly and secure prison environment.

The levels of security within a prison system are categorized differently around the world, but tend to follow a distinct pattern. At one end of the spectrum are the most secure facilities ("maximum security"), which typically hold prisoners that are considered dangerous, disruptive or likely to try to escape. Furthermore, in recent times, supermax prisons have been created where the custody level goes beyond maximum security for people such as terrorists or political prisoners deemed a threat to national security, and inmates from other prisons who have a history of violent or other disruptive behavior in prison or are suspected of gang affiliation. These inmates have individual cells and are kept in lockdown, often for more than 23 hours per day. Meals are served through "chuck holes" in the cell door, and each inmate is allotted one hour of outdoor exercise per day, alone. They are normally permitted no contact with other inmates and are under constant surveillance via closed-circuit television cameras.

On the other end are "minimum security" prisons which are most often used to house those for whom more stringent security is deemed unnecessary. For example, while white-collar crime rarely results in incarceration, when it does offenders are almost always sent to minimum-security prisons due to cultural perceptions of wealthier, more educated people as being less threatening. Lower-security prisons are often designed with less restrictive features, confining prisoners at night in smaller locked dormitories or even cottage or cabin-like housing while permitting them freer movement around the grounds to work or activities during the day. Some countries (such as Britain) also have "open" prisons where prisoners are allowed home-leave or part-time employment outside of the prison. Suomenlinna Island facility in Finland is an example of one such "open" correctional facility. The prison has been open since 1971 and, as of September 2013, the facility's 95 male prisoners leave the prison grounds on a daily basis to work in the corresponding township or commute to the mainland for either work or study. Prisoners can rent flat-screen televisions, sound systems, and mini-refrigerators with the prison-labor wages that they can earn—wages range between 4.10 and 7.3 Euros per hour (US$5.30 to $9.50). With electronic monitoring, prisoners are also allowed to visit their families in Helsinki and eat together with the prison staff. Prisoners in Scandinavian facilities are permitted to wear their own clothes.
Robbedem
level2
level2

Postby Robbedem » Fri May 09, 2014 11:55 am

Obviously prisoners get their initial security classification (which determines how much money you earn from them) based on their conviction first, but after a while their behaviour in prison should affect it for safety and rehabilitation reasons.

I just want to be able to reward good behaviour (by giving the prisoners a less harsh regime) and punish bad behaviour (by giving a more harsh regime) in my prison and ideally have the game recognize that.
The first part isn't difficult to implement. It would only require a sheet with all the prisoners and their statts (time served, time to serve, initial security level, misconducts, education,...).
The second part: "have the game recognize the regime reward/punish system" will be more difficult and thats why I first proposed an automatic system, since that would be the easiest recognisable by the game.
Take into account that automatic doesn't mean it has to be active. So you could always keep the same regime, like you can give 0 hours of lockdown/solitary punishment.

Return to “Community Members”