[Suggestion] Set Staff Work Areas

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

christhekiller
level3
level3

[Suggestion] Set Staff Work Areas

Postby christhekiller » Sat May 03, 2014 9:09 am

TL;DR version:

Allow us to set staff to work in specific areas similar to how prisoner jobs work now.

Full version:

Right so this idea came to me when I tried to segregate security levels completely. The issue is that if you have more than one Kitchen the Chefs will wander back and forth between the two, effectively wasting time and being annoying. So, the idea is to have a button in the Deployment menu that allows you to set staff to work in a specific room, working in a similar manner to how the prison jobs function now.

-The max amount of staff that can be assigned could be equal to the amount of staff of that type that you have.
-Staff assigned to a room will only work jobs related to that room.
+Chefs will only cook food, and clean dishes in the kitchen they're assigned
+Workers assigned to Deliveries will only work Deliveries (and Exports and Garbage)
+Workers assigned to Storage will only work in construction and placing furniture
+Doctors only work in infirmaries they're set in.
-Obviously once a Staff members become exhausted they go relax in your staff room as is, this will unfill the assignment, in a manner similar to stationing guards, and if there's a free staff member of the correct type they'll fill it up again.
-Unassigned staff will function just as staff do now.

This would pretty much allow for greater optimization and automation of your prisons. And work quite well since the whole thing pretty much runs in similar manners to how other things function now.
frostgiant
level0

Re: [Suggestion] Set Staff Work Areas

Postby frostgiant » Sun May 04, 2014 3:19 pm

+1 on this. I wish my kitchen staff would stay put in their specific kitchens.
EdHyde
level1
level1

Postby EdHyde » Sun May 04, 2014 3:47 pm

This has been requested a lot but this is the clearest version I've read ^^

This is clearly one of the most urgent improvements in my opinion !
DocMacke
level0

Postby DocMacke » Mon May 05, 2014 12:59 pm

Implement something like this is absolutely necssary from my point of view, but I would like to add one more thing:

Replace current implementation of the Foreman with something like a "Facility Manager". This one is the guy for the research. It should be necessary for every job-based room (Laundry, Workshop, Cleaning Cupboard) to have at least one Foreman being assigned to be able to operate the room (having jobs being executed).

This will also lead to the point that every Workshop can run their own programs, which is currently only the case for the first workshop that is built.
Lifer
level1
level1

Postby Lifer » Mon May 05, 2014 4:08 pm

This has to happen if running a large prison is ever going to feel right. I'm only at my first land expansion and I can already see wandering staff and staff clumping as an issue,

While they are adding a way to tie people to specific areas perhaps it wouldn't be much of a detour to also let us tie laundry baskets to the laundry rooms they are supposed to be in.
SpaceVelociraptor
level1
level1

Postby SpaceVelociraptor » Mon May 05, 2014 7:01 pm

I remember when Chris said in the video that they "fixed multiple kitchens". I was really excited, cause I was looking forward to separating different security levels. And I think we all know how well that worked. I think you're most important two points are keeping cooks in the same kitchen instead of having them run around, and assigning some workers to deliveries. It's so frustrating when you want to make a large construction that deliveries kinda get ignored. I had a prison that had 0 incidents for it's first 78 days, then I tried to build a forestry. Deliveries got so clogged up that I wasn't able to get food, so prisoners got cranky.
flesh_god
level1
level1

Postby flesh_god » Wed May 07, 2014 3:10 pm

+1 for this
segregate security levels completely was a big mistake on my first prison and doesn't work at all. This feature is useless for the moment in my point of vue.
phatKat
level0

Postby phatKat » Fri May 16, 2014 6:12 pm

+1

I've been slowly expanding my large prison by quadrant but this inability has made it difficult for it to work. I created a second canteen and kitchen and even before I assigned the rooms as a kitchen and canteen, the chefs were already bringing food over to them. :evil:

Staff designation would help aleviate this problem!
Medu_Salem
level1
level1

Postby Medu_Salem » Fri May 16, 2014 8:44 pm

This is indeed a very handy suggestion... A very urgent one too...

Especial with the new reform programs I'm experiencing several problems with complete segregation of the security levels... for example your Foreman gets very confused if you have set workshops to min/med/max seperately... I still haven't figured out how he decides which workshop to teach in such situations but it creates a real problem as some workshops stay unused or security levels stay unqualified because of this.

Also that you can only have one Foreman at a time doesn't help the situation either... because even if you would be able to assign him to different workshops in 3 different worksessions per day you can't teach everything... you could only teach either basic workshop security or carpentry, but not both to all 3 different security levels. So more Foremen are also needed.

Same problems apply to cooks teaching kitchenwork.

The reform programs are a nice additon, but without further staff-management possibilities they conflict with security-segregation. :D
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Sat May 17, 2014 6:53 pm

Medu_Salem wrote:Also that you can only have one Foreman at a time doesn't help the situation either... because even if you would be able to assign him to different workshops in 3 different worksessions per day you can't teach everything... you could only teach either basic workshop security or carpentry, but not both to all 3 different security levels. So more Foremen are also needed.

A current work around is to fire your Foreman, pause the game and then while paused hire as many as you need.
cecilman_69
level1
level1

Postby cecilman_69 » Sat May 17, 2014 7:35 pm

Couldn't have said this better myself, I also believe that a kitchen's staff should not deliver food to a canteen that is NOT DIRECTLY ATTACHED BY A DOOR. I did after much fooling around manage to get the staff to stay in one kitchen or another but then they would run to only one canteen, even trying to remove serving benches didn't work.
christhekiller
level3
level3

Postby christhekiller » Sat May 17, 2014 7:57 pm

cecilman_69 wrote:Couldn't have said this better myself, I also believe that a kitchen's staff should not deliver food to a canteen that is NOT DIRECTLY ATTACHED BY A DOOR. I did after much fooling around manage to get the staff to stay in one kitchen or another but then they would run to only one canteen, even trying to remove serving benches didn't work.

Nah. In my latest prison my Canteen and Kitchen are separated by a hallway. I think Kitchens atm are encouraged to put food in canteens with matching security levels so you could try that.
Medu_Salem
level1
level1

Postby Medu_Salem » Sat May 17, 2014 10:13 pm

5hifty wrote:A current work around is to fire your Foreman, pause the game and then while paused hire as many as you need.

Thanks for the suggestion! Didn't know about this "Bug?" :D
cfpsmatt
level1
level1

Postby cfpsmatt » Tue May 20, 2014 5:31 pm

I agree with this entirely. Once you get to the point of multiple rooms of a given type being required then the game falls apart a bit with the current staff controls. I had a ~400 capacity prison and due to space issue I made a new kitchen and canteen on the opposite side, the chefs spent ~30 minutes game time carrying food to the canteens furthest away from them, rather then the one their kitchens were adjacent to. This is a must do for the game to facilitate rally big prisons. I can only hope it gets put into a patch that is coming up relatively soon.

+1 from me!
Antikristianos
level0

Postby Antikristianos » Fri May 30, 2014 12:24 pm

+1 from me.

we should alsow be abel to tie the Kitchen to the Canteen we want or to more than one canteen.

Return to “Community Members”