First impressions

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

shamus23
level0

First impressions

Postby shamus23 » Sat May 03, 2014 3:39 am

I got this a couple of days ago and I am hooked.

I love the construction and planning elements, the budget challenges, and the overall look. This game is a lot of fun.

There are some bugs that annoy me a fair bit, but you can also find workarounds for all of them so it's almost like an extra challenge. I keep getting 1 section of a water pipe for example that won't get built so I have to double up with an extra one next to it, then both get built. Foundations don't always recognise a door being put down but again its easy to get around.

My main issue is that I am now at around 350 pop. on my second prison, and it's smooth, but a bit boring, sailing. I sold my first so I had what I thought would be a good start, but I over built without realising I could stop prisoners arriving, so only half of my super prison was ready when they did arrive. I had a hard time of it after that and ended up needing 3 squads of riot police (half of whom died) to save my prison and a final warning from the CEO. That was a lot of fun! Since then however my prison is running super smoothly, the worst thing that happened was a power cut, followed by the terrifically tedious and punishing generator restart. I think there is an opportunity for some kind of mini game that's fun, like lock picking in Fallout 3/Vegas or computer hacking in Dead Space.

But whilst I am still enjoying the game, I want some more challenges at this point. I don't feel like I have any real relationship with the prisoners, they just funnel around and pretty much do as they're told. I can get away with doing shakedowns every day so they have very little chance of escaping. I also managed to get a few to go to class so I may even get that grant.

I would like to see some characters in the prisoners. Psycho killers and vulnerable targets, gangs, disputes. I would also really like to see corruption within the guards. As I understand it most of the drugs that get into real prisons are supplied by people that work there. With that in mind, maybe we as the boss could get a little kickback from the corrupt guards by looking the other way or try and root them out and fire all the drug dealers. Maybe you would need to hire a lawyer or internal investigator.

A couple of other ideas I just thought of -
Escape attempts from people outside who actually attack the prison to free their comrades.
Visible effects of drug use on prisoners - depression, paranoia, elation etc.
Bribery - extra money/donations for putting wealthy/powerful criminals in nice cells - Goodfellas - and protecting them from jealous prisoners.
Prison tattoo's
Prisoner suicide and the opportunity to try and prevent it, PR negative impacts if successful.
Instant kills - Slitting another prisoners throat with a shiv whilst in line for the canteen etc. Sneak attacks/Backstab critical!
Bunk beds for regular cells - cell mates.

This is a great game and I can't wait to see where it goes next, keep up the fantastic work!
OneEyedShark
level1
level1

Re: First impressions

Postby OneEyedShark » Sat May 03, 2014 11:05 am

shamus23 wrote:"...gangs..."

Planned and hopefully comeing soon

shamus23 wrote:Escape attempts from people outside who actually attack the prison to free their comrades.

If it going to come, i would guess it wouldn't be any time soon

shamus23 wrote:Visible effects of drug use on prisoners - depression, paranoia, elation etc.

same as gangs

shamus23 wrote:Bribery - extra money/donations for putting wealthy/powerful criminals in nice cells - Goodfellas - and protecting them from jealous prisoners.

no idea

shamus23 wrote:Prison tattoo's

don't think so..

shamus23 wrote:Prisoner suicide and the opportunity to try and prevent it, PR negative impacts if successful.

Sounds cool and i think i have heard it before, no idea were or if it's planned

shamus23 wrote:Instant kills - Slitting another prisoners throat with a shiv whilst in line for the canteen etc. Sneak attacks/Backstab critical!

wouldn't suprise me if it came

shamus23 wrote:Bunk beds for regular cells - cell mates.

alot of people want this, so it may come at some point
DarknessEyes
level2
level2

Re: First impressions

Postby DarknessEyes » Sun May 04, 2014 12:21 am

Foundations don't always recognise a door being put down but again its easy to get around.

You cant place doors while the game is paused, thats why this happen :)

Return to “Community Members”