[Suggestion] The Nothing Regime should be primordial

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Tarô11
level2
level2

[Suggestion] The Nothing Regime should be primordial

Postby Tarô11 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:46 am

Hi all,

I've seen a lot of people playing PA without allocating any Nothing regime at all or very few. In my opinion, it should be the most used after the sleep regime. I mean, it is a prison right ? Not a summer camp. In real life the prisoners have few freetime in a day (variable following their security level). I think that 2-4 hours of freetime per day should be quite enough.

One of the problem actually is that the Work regime makes everybody without a job in Freetime regime. They should be in Nothing regime. That makes a lot more sense in my opinion. Also, I would rename the Nothing regime into Lockdown or something like this. The needs of the prisoners should be reduced accordingly, except the one for hygiene, eat that could stay as is, and the Security that could be a more important need, again to reflet more the reality.

Some may think that the game would be boring if they are mainly in their cells locked down. As I said, it's a prison and that's how it is for real. To make this less boring for the people that would find it boring, they could largely increase the violentness of the prisoners especially in their cells, so they would bang on their cells door to try to escape, make weapons while in their cells to stab someone when they are out to the shower / eat or other activity...

Is there somebody thinking like me ?
perryliu97
level2
level2

Re: [Suggestion] The Nothing Regime should be primordial

Postby perryliu97 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:15 pm

Agree with you about the importance of the nothing regime.
A few alphas ago, i believe a reload would turn nothing regimes back into the default ones.
i wonder if that is still the case...
Frank H
level0

Postby Frank H » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:49 pm

I see what you mean.

But as there are three levels of prisoners, each should be affected differently in my opinion.

Low: Free time, or very similar to it at least
Medium: Some restrictions, like not entering canteen, yard, library etc. Most prisoners will still head to cells.
High: Lockdown in their cells
Kolchak
level2
level2

Postby Kolchak » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:05 pm

To expand the above suggestion: Freetime should be renamed (and repurposed) 'Freedom' or something along those lines. This would grant all prisoners (though I'd like to see the ability to have different regimes for each security level) the ability to go to any non-staff area. 'Nothing' would allow them into ony a selection of room - either predetermined or set-able in the policy tab. If preset: Common room, Cells, Library and Chapel (if introduced) would be a good choice. This would give the ability to control exactly when needs are met, by specifying when the showers are open, when they can exercise, possibly even when they can see visitors.
Nallac94
level1
level1

Postby Nallac94 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:34 pm

I agree with the Nothing regime for the Max security prisoners. Also, it would be great if there was a way to stop them all congregating in the canteen during the Free Time and Work slots.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:49 pm

In terms of prisoner behaviour, I don't believe that there is any difference between the "Nothing" slot (which, as pointed out above, is overwritten on reload) and the "Sleep" slot. Recall that, aside from the "Work" regime slot, the activity indicated only sends prisoners to the appropriate room. Once they get to that room, they will fulfill any needs that they can in that room. Since both "Nothing" and "Sleep" send the prisoners to their cells, they behave identically.

xander
Tarô11
level2
level2

Postby Tarô11 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:44 pm

That's true, actually they behave the same way. But maybe it won't be the case in the future, maybe by example that the Sleep Regime would turn off the cells lights 30min -1 hours after the start of the regime. However, the actual prisoners needs make it hard to keep them in their cells for too long if I want to adopt a more realistic regime. Moreover, as I mentioned the Work regime should put the non working prisoners in their cells instead of being in freetime in my opinion.

Also, if for now I have to use Sleep instead of Nothing to keep them in their cells, it's not a big problem but still it bothers me to have to put Sleep regime at say 3-4 pm. But I think that the Nothing being override will be fixed eventually.
lugaru
level3
level3

Postby lugaru » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:15 pm

It used to be that during 'free time' prisoners where very problematic, getting into a lot of fights and CONSTANTLY trying to get into the kitchen to fetch knives. While I'm not saying that prisoners should be scripted to behave like gremlins, I do agree that granting them absolute freedom should have more drawbacks. Right now there really are none...

Nothing: all prisoners are in their cells unless they have official buisness like visitation, programs or release. This time is valuable to give your staff a break and get construction and repairs done, not to mention avoid trouble. Too much 'nothing' is a problem, since prisoners can hardly meet their needs when in cells unless you invest to put showers, tv's and other amenities into all of them.

Work: same as above, but prisoners can also get out to work (besides visitation, programs, etc). If you have prisoners work all day, you are basically putting prisoners under lockdown all day, creating a trade off.

Yard/Shower/Eat: Sends prisoners to a specific area, which you can keep well secured to avoid problems during that time.

Free Time: Prisoners address their needs as they see fit and go to their various programs, visitations and other things. Great time to restore needs but some prisoners will hunt down ways to get contraband or make trouble. Also in the 'gang' future, prison gangs will almost instantly clump together at this time and be a formidable force if a fight breaks out or if they plan to do something as a grup.
Meeeps
level3
level3

Postby Meeeps » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:41 pm

The issue isn't what should be allowed with "nothing". More, what should idle prisoners do on work. It would be nice, if you could define that on regime. E.g. I would like to set this to sleep (lockdown).

Return to “Community Members”