Suggestion: Instant Punishment Button

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

orangewarning
level1
level1

Suggestion: Instant Punishment Button

Postby orangewarning » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:24 am

A button should be added in the Prisoner rapsheet for instant punishment..
Different punishments can be Lockdown, Solitary, Flogging, and Send to execution chamber.
This will give players more control over how the prison is run.
For example if you notice "Richard Cocks" appears in Solitary every other day, you know that Solitary won't work for him and he should be whacked by the guards using batons instead.
The suppression effect will make it too easy for everything, so using instant punishment will also cause increase in the Prison's "temperature". This way, players cannot misuse instant punishment to suppress the prisoners.
Also if a riot breaks out, some prisoners may murder guards/other prisoners. It is unfair that they will only get sent into solitary. So they should be sent to the execution chamber instead.

Finally execution chamber can be useful.
crazytown1
level1
level1

Re: Suggestion: Instant Punishment Button

Postby crazytown1 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:14 pm

this is stuuuuuupid.

We are running a modern day prison....floggins may have happened in medieval prisons and in some third world and Arab countries (still pretty medieval) but it just doesn't happen in any civilized prison, which is what PA is aiming for from what i can tell. Also, deciding to send a prisoner to the death chamber as a punishment is silly for the same reasons. A courtroom and judge will decide the prisoners fate....it is up to us to build a facility to facilitate the courts decision...not make up our own.

I would agree, that if ever the death penalty is introduced that prisoners who commit the likes of murder could be trialled for that as a seperate crime and have time added on or if a judge was to rule the death penalty, then so be it. I don't think adding the option to kill a prisoner because he may be nicking spoons is a sensibly or realistic option.

Crazy.
orangewarning
level1
level1

Postby orangewarning » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:41 pm

I don't agree
In Singapore, you can get flogged just for writing your name on walls, let alone "destruction".

From what I can tell, Singapore is neither third world nor arab.

In the US, children get shot for playing toy guns. Why can't my guards non-lethally whack a prisoner even if he knocks another guard unconscious?

What PA aims for should be what is in the storyline.

In sandbox mode, we do what we want and run the prison the way we want. It's just a game afterall.
lugaru
level3
level3

Postby lugaru » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:57 pm

I agree that it is the rules that make the game, so being able to indiscrimnately beat down or even kill trouble prisoners erodes away at what is being simulated. Other people on the board would say 'that is mod territory', in other words something players should 3rd party plug into the game rather than all have available.

That said I do long for the day when some state instutuion grants me the ability to execute certain prisoners. In a fairly stable prison I had one nutjob stab a cook to death when he was supposed to be working or recieving certification (not sure since I was not paying attention). He was always in and out of solitary, and somehow his cell was always full of weapons.

That said, frying him is less of a game than rehabilitating him.
christhekiller
level3
level3

Postby christhekiller » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:23 am

Chris has said he wants to adopt some movie cliches about prisons as well. That's really the only reason I'm not against the whole randomly ordering a prisoner to get beaten silly by the guards and some such nonsence.

However I am 100% against being able to use capital punishment as a form of punishment for your prisoners. Not even movies and TV shows handle the obvious ethical issue of capital punishment so immaturely. There is absolutely, without a doubt no way a prison warden, chief, or architect would be able to just hand out death sentences to an inmate, even if that inmate murders another inmate or staff member. If Introversion did handle it like that they would obviously get a huge, huge, huge amount of flack for it, so any handling of the Execution is probably being carefully considered and they might not even make that a full, sandbox feature, and you know what, that'd be understandable. Plenty of states and countries don't execute any prisoners and it makes perfect sense for you to be building prisons in places where it's illegal to execute, even many movies (/TV shows) don't even suggest that the prison their story is centered around has a death row.

I'm not even gonna argue your point with the police officers, I just, *sigh* that being said Guards already whack prisoners for knocking a guard unconscious. I don't know about you but if prisoners ever start fighting guards, other guards come in and they beat the bastard unconcious, drag him to his cell, then to solitary, then and only then do they bring him to the medical wing to be healed.

What PA aims for should be a mature, but fun. Randomly handing out death penalties is a very poor way to handle what is currently a serious ethical issue that many people spend half their lives arguing over. What's in story line is a sentence handed down by the judge for a violent crime committed outside of the prison. What it is not is a punishment handed down by some prison warden because a prisoner beat another one unconscious.
mvp7
level0

Postby mvp7 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:44 pm

I have couple suggestions about "unofficial" punishments.

Option to have guards beat a prisoner. It would cause long term, maybe even permanent, suppression of the prisoner. This would be something to just really break the spirits of a prisoner who just won't learn otherwise. Negative effects would be decreased security of the prison, small chance of prisoner dying and big chance of prisoner getting wounded. There should also be moderate chance of you getting caught, which would lead to big fines and/or CEO call with something like "no more than 5 wounded prisoners within next 24 hours".

Another option would be to bribe other prisoners (selected at random from violent candidates) to beat up a prisoner. It would cost you money and have higher chance of prisoners dying but it would have lower chance of you getting caught (no guards with bad conscience snitching on you) and lower impact on prison safety since guards can still be trusted.
Tarô11
level2
level2

Postby Tarô11 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:52 am

I'm totally against the OP suggestion and against all those "people" that are requesting and waiting sooo impatiently that the execution room becomes available, because they want to execute the prisoners when they want to for what they want to....And I'm sure that for those people, IF they could do it (I doubt they will be able to chose who and when to execute), they would find it "so cooool" and fun for a few hours or let's say a week maximum, then it will bore them. Punishments should remain decided only by the courts. Maybe, if you really want to try it out because you've never had a prisoner sentenced to death, you could do it with the future planned dev tools or debug version. But punishments and executions decided by the player himself, I clearly say no.
mtwiscool
level1
level1

Postby mtwiscool » Sat May 03, 2014 12:09 am

Just send them to a shower with a metle detector and turn it on.
BlueTrin
level1
level1

Postby BlueTrin » Sat May 03, 2014 3:48 pm

mtwiscool wrote:Just send them to a shower with a metle detector and turn it on.

Does that work ?
EdHyde
level1
level1

Postby EdHyde » Sat May 03, 2014 4:43 pm

This is not really needed.

Prisoners who kill guards take extra years, when the Execution Chair will be implemented fully they might even get sentenced to go there.

So in my opinion, just wait for the execution chair, it'll rid you of really anoying prisoners, others naturally get more time in your Prison (= more cash for you :D )

Also raise the punishment for killing to 24h in solitary, they won't like it, but it'll teach them (I think, no proof that it actually works but 24h without troublemakers is always nice to have :P )
Tempra
level0

Postby Tempra » Sat May 03, 2014 4:51 pm

mtwiscool wrote:Just send them to a shower with a metle detector and turn it on.

That's delighfully evil!
blacksythe
level2
level2

Postby blacksythe » Sat May 03, 2014 5:25 pm

Doesnt work any more u need a power station in the showers.
Chewbacado
level2
level2

Postby Chewbacado » Sun May 04, 2014 6:02 pm

orangewarning wrote:Also if a riot breaks out, some prisoners may murder guards/other prisoners. It is unfair that they will only get sent into solitary. So they should be sent to the execution chamber instead.

That's silly.
crazytown1 wrote:I would agree, that if ever the death penalty is introduced that prisoners who commit the likes of murder could be trialled for that as a seperate crime and have time added on or if a judge was to rule the death penalty, then so be it. I don't think adding the option to kill a prisoner because he may be nicking spoons is a sensibly or realistic option.

This guy knows whats up.
orangewarning wrote:I don't agree
In Singapore, you can get flogged just for writing your name on walls, let alone "destruction".

From what I can tell, Singapore is neither third world nor arab.

Oh yea, well...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore# ... d_politics

"Singapore has penalties that include judicial corporal punishment in the form of caning, which may be imposed for such offenses as rape, rioting, vandalism, and certain immigration offenses.[37][38] There is a mandatory death penalty for murder, as well as certain aggravated drug-trafficking and firearms offenses."

'Singapore has "... possibly the highest execution rate in the world relative to its population".'

Mandatory death penalty. Huh. Well, this game is set in a heavily westernized country. The closest you could come to execution on the spot is a kangaroo court set up within the prison. I don't see that happening in the near future. What I do see happening is the prisoner gets shipped off to an offsite court for trial on murder. A judge could indeed set a death penalty, but you shouldn't be able to use execution chambers willy nilly. That's like adding lightsabers to call of duty because they both involve killing people and "it's my game i should be able to do what i want herher".

I disrespectfully disagree.

Return to “Community Members”